Random Shenmue III Thoughts

Sometimes this community (I mean Shenmue fans in FB, Twitter etc) is so addicted to drama that it is exhausting. First the drama because it will be patches (welcome to 2010 people), then more drama because of a ONE day offer leaked for Black Friday. We also have the controversy about the patch size (and I say patch because they are accumulative and people will only have to download one on launcjmh day). And the icing of the cake was reading in a FB group to Koralik panicking because he did not saw a lot of Shenmue 3 promos in Japan.

Enough, it is like some people need the drama more than the games itself

I believe this is a side effect of waiting for almost two decades. It's easy to get antsy and a bit crazy. I myself have fallen for various drama lately and am a bit ashamed for getting sucked in like that.

We love the series dearly, so it's like insulting a good friend. We know what Yu is doing to make the experience great more than some shitty writer so it does cut deep for some of us. I've learned to ignore it, most of the previews have been positive. It's just one of those things as human's where we can get 90% good feedback, but the moment that 10% bad assessment comes in that's all we can focus on. If this guy can't comprehend something like, some of us being Ps4 players unaffected by the epic deal(Hell actually getting a better overall experience from the Epic deal), then the article isn't even worth the time.

A "literally who" outlet if I ever saw one.

Also, PLEASE don't signal boost that article by posting it on ERA unprovoked like you have with other stuff in the past. All it does is give undeserved attention to a poorly written and sourced article.

Went to CCN proper (the site the, "article," is hosted on) and this is the third thing down:
1573316378037.png

We all know their bias; just ignore these mouthbreathers.

They're American too, btw (where has the majority of the Epic bashing come from?)

I'm ticked off at shitty clickbait sites. Write an article about that.

Let's drop all these clickbaity articles and any comments around them, all they're doing is causing unwanted arguements.

Why do all games come with downloadable patches anyhow? This is just a recent thing for console gaming.

With all preceeding generations developers had to ensure that the game was bug free. Now it seems that they are less stringent with their standards, knowing that they can always patch later. It seems a bit absurd to me.

Went to CCN proper (the site the, "article," is hosted on) and this is the third thing down:
View attachment 5239

We all know their bias; just ignore these mouthbreathers.

They're American too, btw (where has the majority of the Epic bashing come from?)
Please don't turn this into an anti-American thing. There are idiots everywhere.

Why do all games come with downloadable patches anyhow? This is just a recent thing for console gaming.

With all preceeding generations developers had to ensure that the game was bug free. Now it seems that are less stringent with their standards, knowing that they can always patch later. It seems a bit absurd to me.
Recent my ass, at least since 2010, the moment HDD were implemented into consoles the door was open. I can't recall a single game I have worked for that did not have a Day 1 Update/patch and I started working on VG during the Xbox 360/PS3 later years.

Please don't turn this into an anti-American thing. There are idiots everywhere.
Absolutely not, nor my intention.

But when 70% of the yelling comes from one place, well, it says a lot.

Its not to criticize Americans either, btw; I've been pointing out that they are the source behind the majority of the whining, since the very beginning and I've been doing this solely to point out that it is *1* country/demographic/etc. that is parroting this the most, while the rest of us are being level-headed and understanding.

That's all ;)

Absolutely not, nor my intention.

But when 70% of the yelling comes from one place, well, it says a lot.

Its not to criticize Americans either, btw; I've been pointing out that they are the source behind the majority of the whining, since the very beginning and I've been doing this solely to point out that it is *1* country/demographic/etc. that is parroting this the most, while the rest of us are being level-headed and understanding.

That's all ;)
I just don't see what the point is anymore. If you only wanted to show that the backlash is mostly coming from one country/demographic, then your point is already made. When you continue to go "Hey look, they're American too" each and every time, it just comes off as America bashing.

*sigh*

It doesn't at all, but if that how people perceive it, I will shut up about it.

Carry on.

With all preceeding generations developers had to ensure that the game was bug free. Now it seems that they are less stringent with their standards, knowing that they can always patch later. It seems a bit absurd to me.
All preceding generations? I assume we aren't talking about the PS3 gen in that, as that had some huge ass patches (anyone remember how King of Fighters XII had you download the entire game again in a patch to try and fix the online netcode? And it still was a laggy POS online!)

Also, believe me devs couldn't get all games bug free before this gen, that's simply not true. Look back at older games - Jet Set Willy on the ZX Spectrum has an infamous bug that makes the game completely impossible to complete, you had to use Spectrum poke commands in order to fix it yourself. Console games like Dennis the Menace was basically shipped unfinished, and is completely impossible to finish.
Plus then you have game ending bugs that made it impossible to finish games - Pokemon Red/Blue made it so its actually possible to run out of money and make it impossible for you to finish the game as a game required item is hidden in the Safari Zone (which back then required money to get into), they fixed that for Yellow though and all subsequent games.
Heck, just last gen Bethesda released Skyrim on PS3 and would slow down so bad after a while that the game became literally unplayable, and patches barely helped (still got amazing review scores somehow, not quite sure how that happened...)

And that's just stuff off the top of my head, there's loads more out there.

Granted though its gotten rather out of control this generation. Certain games especially feel like they are completely rushed out when they aren't finished at all - GaaS styled games especially are bare bones in terms of content, have gigantic day 1 patches, and subsequent weekly patches that inflate the game size even more - one game I actually like (Gran Turismo Sport) was a shell of a game at launch, and patch wise its now at over 100GB in size, and has added in a ton of free content (its pretty awesome now, had to delete it to make space on my HDD though!)
COD is a good shout as well for massive patches, my friend owns the game and relays to me the fun that is its weekly patches which take forever to download and install thanks to the way the patches work on that game (aside from the download its got to calculate and install, increasing the time before he can play the game substantially).

Thankfully not all games are that bad. Yakuza games are solid at launch and weekly patches are just new post game content (costumes) and free consumable packs.

I can't play Shenmue 3 on release day because of work, I won't even be able to purchase the game day 1 which makes me feel quite sad but I'll definitely be playing it on the weekend. Just imagine being in that situation knowing the game you waited for years and never thought would come to existence is out but you have to play it days later...

A lot of you are lucky for taking the day off to play the game, many people would have finished it by then and be giving their impressions, spoilers will be all over the goddamn web.

What is the time cheat for the trial ?????

You use Cheat Engine which allows you to freeze time (or set the clock to a specific time) so that you can play longer than the ~1 hour it takes to get to 9PM.

Back