Where U think the source of Haters originated from???

Good writers cost money, a lot of money,when the good writer left Konami MGS started to be shitty Kojima nonsense. It is not like your nephew write fanfics so that qualify him to a good writer degree. Although, 12 millions for a game of this scale is pretty low budget, it is more or less the same cost of Bloodstained and we can compare scales. Where they have spend it is another matter, and I think that the game would be much better with transition shots cutscens for example, but with a limited budget that mey be not possible.

And also can people stop using the budget as an excuse? The budget was 12 million dollars as has been confirmed by Suzuki. That is 3x less than the Witcher 3 which had amazing voice actors and their own built engine and I don't have to remind anyone how amazing that game was!

The budget is no excuse for the sorry excuse of a story and characters we got here.

Hark at this bloke handwaving away 24 million dollars like it's nothing. :ROFLMAO:

I already specified that they used a self made engine, the game was 40x it's size and they actually hired actors who knew what the fuck they were doing and the game also had easily 40x more dialogue to be acted.
If you listen to some of the NPC dialogue its repeated. 40x is an overstatement but I definitely agree that the VO in Witcher 3 is better. That's down to money and also choice of actor.

The self made engine had been in place for years, during witcher 2 development so that investment had already been made. Most of the budget would have gone into the game itself.

Also look at the environments. They look great but out of town they're all countryside and caves with some rivers/lakes dotted about. All the settlements look similar too. Much easier to replicate and it doesn't use the colour palette in these areas that Shenmue does, across all 3 games as well.

Theres nothing wrong with not liking Shenmue III. Carry on, it creates a discussion. What I have issues with is where people clearly overstate things to make a point.

And also can people stop using the budget as an excuse? The budget was 12 million dollars as has been confirmed by Suzuki. That is 3x less than the Witcher 3 which had amazing voice actors and their own built engine and I don't have to remind anyone how amazing that game was!

The budget is no excuse for the sorry excuse of a story and characters we got here.

dev budget was 7. the remaining 5 was for marketing. Unless you think it cost nothing to market this game.
Just like I'm pretty sure whatever number the budget of Witcher 3 was publicly revealed didnt include marketing. Typically those numbers dont. And of course we know Witcher 3 had a HUGE marketing campaign. Where did that money come from? The sky?
Also Witcher 3 was severely overrated. People wanna talk about how "boring" Shenmue series is?
Witcher 3 was super boring to me and dont get me started on its crappy combat system.
Also needed like 18 patches to fix said game.
"You are overincumbered" lol die from a 5 foot drop....wtf
And there were a lot of loopholes made for Witcher 3 which its government helped out on plus those guys worked for next to nothing betting on its success.

If you expected Shenmue III a kickstarter game to rival the Witcher III in presentation and content then you're completely and utterly deluded. CDprojekt Red are the biggest developer in Poland and the game was published by Bandai Namco and Warner Brothers in EU territories who gave significantly more marketing funds than Deep Silver.

And besides, I spent 50 odd hours in Shenmue III and enjoyed it immensely. Like Yakuza it proves you don't need a gigantic map to have meaningful content. Same as Red Dead, Just Cause etc spending 10 minutes traversing the map to the next mission start, just to go back to where you came from is a load of shit.

Thank you. I was on the dojo from 2003 until the new forum. I came back to share my sentiments of how bad shenmue 3 turned out, but I got lamented for being a troll by people who I never saw before.

WHAT? The Witcher 3 budget was more than 80 million dollars. 12 milion for a game is really low, especially in Japan.

Hark at this bloke handwaving away 24 million dollars like it's nothing. :ROFLMAO:
It was also developed in Eastern Europe, not Tokyo. And Shenmue 3’s programmers were in Japan, not India. They outsourced character modeling to India—and they used a company major developers use for out sourcing. CDProjektRed also wasn’t built in a short amount of time before working on The Witcher 3.

But I haven’t been here 15 years and don’t hate the game, so my opinion doesn’t count. The Veterans Hotline is currently tittering over my audacity.

Last edited:
first of all you don't need any money to writer a good story and characters. There are countless examples in this. Secondly it seems most of the programmers on this game were from India. Cheapest of the cheap.
Look at some of the other games the artists in India have worked on:

Cheapest of the cheap games like Gears 5, Call of Duty, and Metal Gear Solid 5!

Last edited:
first of all you don't need any money to writer a good story and characters. There are countless examples in this. Secondly it seems most of the programmers on this game were from India. Cheapest of the cheap.

I see, racism now, eh?

EDIT* I now see that the comment may be because of cheap labour. Still a shitty comment though.

Shut. Up.

EDIT 2* Go away.

It’s not even true. The Indians on the Shenmue 3 credits worked on character models, not the programming. The game has lots of NPCs so they outsourced that work. Their credits are clearly impressive, so it’s not fair to diminish them for being based in India.

And CDProjektRed employs the cheapest of the cheap in Eastern Europe. The budgets there go waaaaay further than in Japan. But they’re also an established, and talented, studio, so it’s not a fair comparison.

Last edited:
This comment is stereotyping and board line stepping in to racist territory. While I'm sure not intentional this kind of post isn't welcome here. You can make your point without going down that path.

What absolute rubbish. Yes the game has its problems plotwise but it is pure Shenmue in terms of gameplay and atmosphere. I would go so far as to state that any Shenmue fan who dismisses this game, and there are many in this forum, were never really fans in the first place. We can argue about plot and dodgy presentation but I cannot believe a Shenmue fan cannot at least appreciate the love and craft put into the game by Yu and his team after so much time in the wilderness.

This is not aimed at you personally. I have read a lot of bile on this forum about the game. The nadir being someone stating Yu should be stoned. All you can do is shake your head. We finally get a game we never thought possible that is completely in spirit with the originals and we just moan and dismiss it because it doesn't meet our impossible expectations.

Shenmue to me was always about the journey not the destination and it that respect it has completely lived up to my expectations. I loved my time in Bailu Village and Niaowu just as much as my time in Dobuita, Hong Kong and Kowloon. I just hope all this negativity doesn't kill off the chances of Shenmue 4. If it does every so called Shenmue fan who posted dirt about Shenmue 3 should be ashamed of themselves for contributing to the death of one of the greatest games series of all time.

ABSOLUTELY 100% Spot On.

That's not really the statement he is making though, is it?
This forum was filled with level headed people who kept this community alive during the dead years... Those 30 odd people I said I spoke to who posted here keeping the community alive, the majority who I’ve actually spoke to about the game don’t really like it that much and don’t feel like it’s what they loved about Shenmue.

Sure thing, SCQ.

No one's running anyone off for 'not liking Shenmue 3' or thinking 'it's not that great.' There's criticism all over the place and I don't see anyone suggesting it shouldn't be posted. It just happens all these holier than thou veterans who hate us braindead n00bz who enjoy Shenmue 3 seem to think they shouldn't be spoken back to when they call someone a 'bumbling jackass' for enjoying Shenmue 3.

Last edited:
This comment is stereotyping and board line stepping in to racist territory. While I'm sure not intentional this kind of post isn't welcome here. You can make your point without going down that path.

It really isn't. It's like bemoaning Nike for using sweatshop factories in China to manufacture their goods.

This is also an issue that's talked about amongst modellers, as contracts are difficult to secure due to the cheaper rate that artists (predominantly) from India will quote.

What absolute rubbish. Yes the game has its problems plotwise but it is pure Shenmue in terms of gameplay and atmosphere. I would go so far as to state that any Shenmue fan who dismisses this game, and there are many in this forum, were never really fans in the first place. We can argue about plot and dodgy presentation but I cannot believe a Shenmue fan cannot at least appreciate the love and craft put into the game by Yu and his team after so much time in the wilderness.

I was ready to forgive all the shortcomings of the game, I was really enjoying my time, despite character development and all that jazz. It's a kickstarter game after all.

That is until the ending sequence.

No one will convince me otherwise that this wasn't a decision from someone else (deep silver, what have you), the need for an ending where you fight lan Di, a big event ending, even if it meant completely butchering everything to get there. If the game had ended after Ryo beats Muscles, getting the info on where to go next, I guess I wouldn't feel completely satisfied, but knowing how it actually came to be, how do I wish I really ended like that.

I feel what we got can't be a decision made by a guy that has been waiting to release a game for 18 years. There's no way Yu can look at that and be "that's what I wanted to do".

PS. There was an interview with Yu and some guys where they had a rapid fire QA and when they asked how much he would rate the game, he said 7, then 6, then I think he even went lower. I honestly thought at that time it was a joke, but now I get it

P.S. There was an interview with Yu and some guys where they had a rapid fire QA and when they asked how much he would rate the game, he said 7, then 6, then I think he even went lower. I honestly thought at that time it was a joke, but now I get it

Could just be modesty really. He doesn't strike me as the type to be like "Fucking eleven man! This shit's a stone cold classic, cop it in stores now before it leaves barren shelves the world over 👊"

PS. There was an interview with Yu and some guys where they had a rapid fire QA and when they asked how much he would rate the game, he said 7, then 6, then I think he even went lower. I honestly thought at that time it was a joke, but now I get it

He said 7 and didn't go lower, so stop misconstruing to fit your agenda.

And you mean to tell me that a 5 course meal is outstanding, save for the dessert and you condemn the entire thing as a result?

EDIT: you actually didn't say outstanding, I take that back. Point still stands though.

Yet another case of shitting on the game because you don't like 1 aspect of it. You people man...

Last edited:
I clearly struck a nerve here. First of all I’m not a “bumbling jackass.” I just stated the fact that the game should be treated with more respect considering the circumstances it was made. Kickstarter games are notorious for turning out bad. I was expecting the worst. The fact that we got a game so in spirit with the originals amazes me. You seem to actually criticize this and call it outdated.

You want the series to die if it’s more like Shenmue 3?! This is why I question whether the haters are real fans. Shenmue 3 is completely faithful to the originals yet you are tearing it to pieces like it’s just a piece of junk. It seems you want to modernize it and remove a lot of what makes it Shenmue. What was the point of being here all this time hoping for Shenmue 3 if you’d just end up being a negative uncompromising hater towards the game. Unwilling to accept, considering the circumstances, how much of a miracle it is to even have the game in the first place.

I may not have been here for 15 years on this forum but I have been a passionate Shenmue fan since I first played it in March 2004. As a teen my room was full of Shenmue posters and I have a small but treasured collection of Shenmue memorabilia. I lived through the agonizing wait for Shenmue 3 like you. That’s why it amazes me that someone like you who waited so long could be so antagonistic towards the game. What Yu gave us is a miracle and I still pinch myself that now it doesn’t end in the cave. That I actually have another Shenmue game to play that is completely faithful to the originals.

The plot issues and presentation problems can be debated but what cannot be debated is that Yu delivered a game that is a pure Shenmue experience and I still believe a real fan of Shenmue would not treat this game with utter contempt like you do. I can accept criticisms of the game but only if they acknowledge the good aspects of the game which to me completely outweighs the negatives. You and others act like the complete game is a disaster which is absolute rubbish.
Excellent. My sentiments exactly.

Back