SHENMUE III - REVIEW ROUNDUP

It looks that metacritic will change their score system to decimal!

Really? I thought it was just IGN doing that?

If so, we will average 7/10 after all

Really? I thought it was just IGN doing that?

If so, we will average 7/10 after all

LoL, actually you are right! I mixed up the things... Do you think the score on IGN will increase to 6 then?

LoL, actually you are right! I mixed up the things... Do you think the score on IGN will increase to 6 then?
I think they just move everything with a dot so 69 will be a 6.9 :/

Meristation's 75 is finally on Metacritic. But because of EDGE it wasn't enough to bump it to 70 avg. If we can get one more 8, it might end on 70... But is there anyone left?

EDIT: Also added a review for the PC version that I had missed; a 50 from PC Games. If we get another 75 I think the PC average would be 70.

Last edited:

Overall positive impression. He mentions some odd aspects of the series in general but seemed to appreciate this game.

Added a review from VGChartz. A 7/10 which won't go on MC, unfortunately. Who knows, it might be enough to get us back to 70 if that was the case.

A 75 from Gaming-Age was just added to Metacritic!!

It was not enough to get us back to 70 average however. I do think that just one more score of 70 or above will put the average up that one delicious point.

A 75 from Gaming-Age was just added to Metacritic!!

It was not enough to get us back to 70 average however. I do think that just one more score of 70 or above will put the average up that one delicious point.

Am I the one getting it wrong or is there a mistake with the score on Metacritic?
Shenmue III score on Gaming Age is "B" which according to their review guideline translates into 16/20 (8/10).
On Metacritic though, that translates into 75... it would be sad to miss the overall and symbolic reviews score of 70 because of that.

Last edited:
Here's a review from Level Down Games. They gave it a 7 (not for Metacritic). They also complain this doesn't conclude the story. Pet peeve of mine. Annoys me to no end when people complain about that.

A 3/10. I hope it doesn't count. :X

A 3/10. I hope it doesn't count. :X

3/10...
This is ridiculous. The game objectively deserves way more than that awful score.

Many of the game’s design decisions, ...to the lack of a meaningful map to figuring out what to do next, are outdated and obtuse.

This again. As if one really needs a marker on a friggin map to figure out what to do and where to go in Shenmue.
As if it isn’t part of the whole Shenmue concept to roam in a world without too many artificial aids.

Last edited:
The review itself isnt even that harsh. It reads like a 5 or 6/10. 3/10 to me is 'broken game' territory.

3/10...
This is ridiculous. The game objectively deserves way more than that awful score.

This again. As if one really needs a marker on a friggin map to figure out what to do and where to go in Shenmue.
As if it isn’t part of the whole Shenmue concept to roam in a world without too many artificial aids.
Annoyingly, this is one of the ‘publications’ that YSNet / Deep Silver flew out to Monaco a year or two ago. Aside from being poorly written, it reads as though it’s written by somebody whose only knowledge of the series comes from the reviews they’re using to write their own review. How or why they could still be using stock images in their review nearly two months out is also beyond me.

Annoyingly, this is one of the ‘publications’ that YSNet / Deep Silver flew out to Monaco a year or two ago. Aside from being poorly written, it reads as though it’s written by somebody whose only knowledge of the series comes from the reviews they’re using to write their own review. How or why they could still be using stock images in their review nearly two months out is also beyond me.

I don't think the reviewer is the same person who flew to Monaco to interview Yu Suzuki and watch Shenmue III gameplay back in March 2019... which doesn't make much sense, imo.

I don't think the reviewer is the same person who flew to Monaco to interview Yu Suzuki and watch Shenmue III gameplay back in March 2019... which doesn't make much sense, imo.
It’s not. The owner of the site went to school with some of my friends and I was surprised to see him there. Iirc, he freelances for some other publications and so may have already reviewed it elsewhere hence why it may have been passed on to someone else. Unfortunately, this review reads like its main aim is to drive traffic to the site rather than offer any insight into the game. A little disappointing. I’m guessing traffic from this site alone has probably already doubled their monthly viewership though, so in that sense, it worked.

Back