SHENMUE III - REVIEW ROUNDUP

Deep down, I get the feeling SIV(If we get there...) will redeem SIII. Like SII reveals in hindsight greater appreciation/perspective for S1 after seeing the whole package. Once Suzuki completes the saga, the brilliance of his grand vision will finally reveal itself completely. I'm hoping we make it there one day.

Same with Xfiles season 11 making season 10 even better!

The Kojima hate around here sounds just as bad as the Yu Suzuki hate I see elsewhere. You don’t like his games, fine. I don’t particularly care for his games aside from MGS on the PSX. Dude didn’t get where he is because he’s paying anyone off... People like his games. It's weird, right? Stop being so bitter.

btw

Suzuki rates his game 7.5 so the scores seem rather fair eventually.

I mean you're free to look at it this way in a vacuum, but aggregated this isn't reality.
Lol Metacritic place weighting on different outlets. I've not seen the newly aggregated scores but it was at an average of 71 before today, that's all scores without weighting.

Dude didn’t get where he is because he’s paying anyone off...
The people that throw around that assumption just have no clue how the games industry works, especially when they have no knowledge of how the times reviewers have been paid off has dramatically blown up in the faces of the companies paying in the first place, read up on driver 3 or kane and lynch to see why this type of shit was not only rare back then but has since become even more impossible to do, this kind of shit simply can't be kept under wraps to put it lightly. Now there are some shady things around trying to appease publishers so they still get future review copies, but that topic is far more nuanced and variable than people who would throw the accusation around to even bother reading up on, and even that has also been cracked down on immensely.

For kojima specifically its laughable, cause like why the hell would the guy be paying off people to review his game nicely then not bother to get good scores from the biggest site in the industry ign.

RPGamer was added to MC.

EDGE has not been added to MC yet.

@ me next time you find a score.

Thanks to EDGE we can kiss a 7/10 avg good bye.

Oh well.

Need to prepare mentally for video essays about how bad the game is and what a kickstarter disaster it is.

Weird spacing today.

Such is life.

Happy new year

2020 will be the year Shenmue IV is announced

Bring it on

By the way

Screenshot EDGE review score so I can link it

Thanks

Well, it looks like Kojima wants to redeem PT by starting a new horror project in the same veins.

Since DS is technically MGS-lite I wonder if this will follow in the same vein as the PT demo he already crafted back at Konami.

Kojima and suzuki are both legends who have made excellent games.

No need to throw cr@p at either one.
Truth right there, the gaming industry doesn't need to forsake the people that shaped it. Especially cause people do need to realize people like Kojima and Suzuki are some of the few people from that era let alone that legendary status that are actually still in the director seats. Many have softly retired or passed on their torch to newer generations like how Shinji Mikami stopped directing at evil within and passed it onto a protege for its sequel.

Truth right there, the gaming industry doesn't need to forsake the people that shaped it. Especially cause people do need to realize people like Kojima and Suzuki are some of the few people from that era let alone that legendary status that are actually still in the director seats. Many have softly retired or passed on their torch to newer generations like how Shinji Mikami stopped directing at evil within and passed it onto a protege for its sequel.

Also Suzuki and Kojima may be the oldest guys still in the director role. In fact I can't think of anyone older than Suzuki in that position, most guys from that era have moved on to Senior roles like Producer.

Also Suzuki and Kojima may be the oldest guys still in the director role. In fact I can't think of anyone older than Suzuki in that position, most guys from that era have moved on to Senior roles like Producer.
I'm sure there are some others but they just aren't coming to mind, but yes it's really rare to see people that old from that era still involved as directors and that isn't something that should be diminished. A few directors are catching up with them in age though like Tetsuya Takahasi of the xeno franchise whose still at it, granted executive director isnt the same as actual director but like, the dude is writing, planning, and dictating how the series goes pretty hands on so I think he still counts even if its not as overtly in his control like Suzuki or Kojima's productions.

The people that throw around that assumption just have no clue how the games industry works, especially when they have no knowledge of how the times reviewers have been paid off has dramatically blown up in the faces of the companies paying in the first place, read up on driver 3 or kane and lynch to see why this type of shit was not only rare back then but has since become even more impossible to do, this kind of shit simply can't be kept under wraps to put it lightly. Now there are some shady things around trying to appease publishers so they still get future review copies, but that topic is far more nuanced and variable than people who would throw the accusation around to even bother reading up on, and even that has also been cracked down on immensely.

For kojima specifically its laughable, cause like why the hell would the guy be paying off people to review his game nicely then not bother to get good scores from the biggest site in the industry ign.
Yeah, that Kane and Lynch thing was a huge mess.

Edge:

It feels largely as we had imagined it might a couple of generations ago - though that isn't always to its credit.
Though the performance problems are hardly ruinous, the uncapped framerate does introduce a level of inconsistency, though this is mitigated a little on PS4 Pro.
The problems go beyond the visuals. The plot is not the only slow aspect of the game, and we can't help but feel there are some changes Ys Net could have made that even the most passionate of fans would have embraced.
Evaluating Shenmue III is a difficult task. Many players will have made their purchasing decision years ago, and for some it could never be enough - not without the budget to push technological boundaries in the same way as its predecessor, and certainly not after 18 years of anticipation.

Shenmue 3 never had the chance of being recieved well by the fans that spent hundreds/thousands of dollars to get the best sequel of all time.

Shenmue 3 never had the chance of being recieved well by the fans that spent hundreds/thousands of dollars to get the best sequel of all time.

I spent hundreds if you count the backer+limited editions I bought and I was overall very satisfied. A fairly large number of fans complain about the story, but not me. I'm impressed because of what the story SET UP for future titles.

It gets an 8.5 from me. Docking points for the weird black transitions that were common at the start of the game, and the repetition of the latter half of Niaowu, before the castle. I LOVE the final stretch with all the humor AND action going on.

It looks that metacritic will change their score system to decimal!

Yes it had a chance to. The problem is, to me, that it failed where it mattered the most, which is world building and cutscene direction (also character cast). But then again, it all comes down to what's coming next: Is Shenmue III a build up to something bigger ? If yes, I can hardly consider it a failure, because it's still a decent game to me (well.. 6/10 is still decent). But if it's not... welp.

Back