SHENMUE III - REVIEW ROUNDUP

Yu Suzuki is def the GOAT and shenmue is the best personality test devised in gaming. It's exposing the fakes from those with legit journalism integrity, and to a certain degree...gamer's with matured refined tastes and those who haven't acquired it.

Might be true for Shenmue I and II... III on the other hand... Yikes.

Just as I expected, the reviewer who reviewed Shenmue 3 for RPG Site barely touched the game. They picked up a grand total of 3 trophies (‘Babysitter’, ‘Verdant Bridge’s Secret’ and ‘Regular Shopper’) during their time with the game. I’m sorry, but that’s an absolute fucking embarrassment.

Edit: Slow day at work and so I thought I’d do some more digging and this seems to be a pattern with all of her poor reviews. All of the games she reviews badly have 0-10% of trophies unlocked. Whilst I’m not familiar with many of the games, the bulk of the trophy descriptions would indicate that she rarely (if ever) makes it out of the tutorial phase of games she doesn’t like. To her credit (what very little is owed to her), she does actually seem to complete the games that she reviews well (for the most part). It’s sad that this is what passes for journalism these days.

It's just a review lol.

It's 68 now as I suspected when RPG Site ended up on MC. But we also got a 55 from CD Action which certainly didn't help. We can kiss 70 good bye. Thanks RPG Site. We might be able to get back to 69 if we get another 75 or so. But who is even left?

Just as I expected, the reviewer who reviewed Shenmue 3 for RPG Site barely touched the game. They picked up a grand total of 3 trophies (‘Babysitter’, ‘Verdant Bridge’s Secret’ and ‘Regular Shopper’) during their time with the game. I’m sorry, but that’s an absolute fucking embarrassment.

Edit: Slow day at work and so I thought I’d do some more digging and this seems to be a pattern with all of her poor reviews. All of the games she reviews badly have 0-10% of trophies unlocked. Whilst I’m not familiar with many of the games, the bulk of the trophy descriptions would indicate that she rarely (if ever) makes it out of the tutorial phase of games she doesn’t like. To her credit (what very little is owed to her), she does actually seem to complete the games that she reviews well (for the most part). It’s sad that this is what passes for journalism these days.

Holy shit, really? Wow that is embarassing. And her score is worthy enough to go on MC? Okay I know it's forbidden to say it but... Fuck RPG Site for letting a person who played 5 hours of the game to be the reviewer.

Holy shit, really? Wow that is embarassing. And her score is worthy enough to go on MC? Okay I know it's forbidden to say it but... Fuck RPG Site for letting a person who played 5 hours of the game to be the reviewer.
What I find a little peculiar is that she was done with her playthrough within a week of the game’s release and yet the review didn’t surface until now.

Perhaps she intended to go back to her playthrough when she had more time or maybe she attempted to pass the review off to another reviewer at the site who was more suitable and couldn’t find anybody to take it off her hands? I suppose it’s possible that it took her six weeks to write the review, but given its length and lack of depth and the fact that she clearly didn’t take the time to proofread it before publishing, that seems a little unlikely.

Regardless, that she felt it appropriate to publish given the circumstances is more Poolitzer than Pulitzer!

Last edited:
What I find a little peculiar is that she was done with her playthrough within a week of the game’s release and yet the review didn’t surface until now.

Perhaps she intended to go back to her playthrough when she had more time or maybe she attempted to pass the review off to another reviewer at the site who was more suitable and couldn’t find anybody to take it off her hands? I suppose it’s possible that it took her six weeks to write the review, but given its length and lack of depth and the fact that she clearly didn’t take the time proofread it before publishing, that seems a little unlikely.

Regardless, that she felt it appropriate to publish given the circumstances is more Poolitzer than Pulitzer!

Frankly, that review shouldn't be on Metacritic... Or anywhere for that matter. In my mind, you need to finish a game before you review it. Giving it a 3/10 and only beating 1/5 of the game is just wrong.

Frankly, that review shouldn't be on Metacritic... Or anywhere for that matter. In my mind, you need to finish a game before you review it. Giving it a 3/10 and only beating 1/5 of the game is just wrong.
Usually if you fail to complete something, standard etiquette dictates you forfeit your right to assign a score or rating and instead use your review to explain why the media was so bad you couldn’t complete it. It seems that etiquette and professionalism doesn’t exist to some modern ‘journalists’ though.

At the very least, the reviewer should have made it clear that she didn’t complete the game. The lack of transparency and embellishments, to put it politely, are instead designed to mislead readers to cover up the fact that she was too lazy to do her job and in all likelihood, her total lack of understanding as to what Shenmue really is.

Looked up the writers page. Tomboy is right. Ridiculous. I don’t even think it takes half an hour to get those three medals.

I know ultimately it’s somewhat meaningless that they’re getting away with this since the review is two months late and no one turns to RPG Site for reviews, but I am really annoyed now that Tomboz has exposed the reviewer. You at least want to pretend people are sharing their genuine opinions, whether good or bad. Why give a game a 3/10 for no reason? I’d be inclined to share this with the publisher since they’re giving this site preferential treatment for some reason.

I know ultimately it’s somewhat meaningless that they’re getting away with this since the review is two months late and no one turns to RPG Site for reviews, but I am really annoyed now that Tomboz has exposed the reviewer. You at least want to pretend people are sharing their genuine opinions, whether good or bad. Why give a game a 3/10 for no reason? I’d be inclined to share this with the publisher since they’re giving this site preferential treatment for some reason.

Prolly cuz the 'RPG" in the namesake plus they cover niche IPs. DS most likely did a surface level research and thought they're worth it. A Shame too, since you'd think YS and Shenmue's historical and industry importance will warrant a fair thorough review if nothing else. Her lazy criticism will catch up to her once a more established studio/AAA publisher gets shafted in the same way by her antics. It'd be a career suicidal move. They'd not let her get away with it so casually.

Whilst I agree with the three trophy thing (surely you should complete the game to get a more realistic idea of the game?), i've put about 30 or 40 hours into it and only got about 35% trophies - most of them are insanely difficult to get...I love you Suzuki-san, but i'm not going to grind for 1000 fish for a trophy.

Shenmue I & II's trophies were too easy; III too hard - hopefully IV will have a better balance.

No doubt but you definitely only end up with three trophies after playing like an hour or two at most. Doesn’t even have story trophies that suggest otherwise.

So googling about review scores eventually led me to this video:

And at 3:40 they start talking about a game, an unknown IP, that got a terrible review by someone at Eurogamer who barely touched the game. The backlash had the reviewer fired.

How come nobody cares about Shenmue, a way bigger IP getting a review score that is just as unfair??

I just realized the total irony of the headline talking about "half-measures" hahaha.

can’t let something so blatant slide... they probably intentionally chose a 3/10 so they’d be the worst score, too.

A positive review written on a regular and famous French newspaper website, not a video game oriented one.
The guy nailed the true essence of Shenmue in his article. Good job!

A positive review written on a regular and famous French newspaper website, not a video game oriented one.
The guy nailed the true essence of Shenmue in his article. Good job!

I'll trust your words that it's positive, and add it to the list!

I don’t think anyone knows. Feel free to tell someone who might care.

lol no one gives a fuck. tried to get a comment from the site's owner but he's clearly happy to ignore me

Back