110 Industries have been teasing Shenmue IV a lot lately

Status
Not open for further replies.
This has been discussed before, and I will try and find the thread, but the Body Check and Reverse Body Check, are also important techniques of Bajiquan, and signature moves of Akira. The Body Check is done a bit better, since you have to do quite a lot for Master Sun, but they are still more than just "a move you go and buy".

Could the story have been told a bit better regarding these moves and their subsequent application? You could argue that. But all in all, it is very similar to how Shenmue II portrayed Ryo and Dou Niu's

Not to mention that Master Sun tells him “don’t think you’ve mastered it just because you’ve done it a few times. It takes time to truly master.”

Meaning it could play a bigger part in the story going forward In terms of truly mastering it. That’s partially why I found Super Eye Patch’s little fan ending to be laughable and completely missing the point of what was said by Master Sun.

At the end of the day this is still one vertical slice of a larger story that still remains to be told so who is to say how much further they will go with the Body Check. But as Master Sun says. It takes a long time to truly master. And much like everything else, I don’t think Ryo has truly mastered it.

Right you are. Not sure how that one slipped my mind given that I watched it in the anime just last week. Again though, we’re talking about Ryo being heavily outnumbered.

I agree that the Yanglang scenario is handled much better than the one which follows (hence why I used RBC as my example) and were this the only time this kind of roadblock occurred in the game I dare say I would have enjoyed it a whole lot more. Assuming players have already reached the required Dan though, the fight with Gi really is just a case of buying/learning a new move to win. No training no nothing. That Ryo now has a Kung Fu meter makes this entirely demonstrable.

As touched upon earlier, my biggest issue with three isn’t the above, more that that Kung Fu meter starts out at 0. Without any training, the fight with the two Blue Spiders thugs at the beginning of the game is very difficult to beat (at least for first time players), which makes Ryo feel much weaker than in previous games. That 20 minutes of horse stance and one inch punch training can have such a dramatic impact feels equally bizarre.
Agreed there. I guess that is the price longtime fans pay for Yu - san trying to play into the hands of potential newcomers. I also missed having Wong's photo, Fangmei's amulet, and the money we got from beating the street fighters. But it is what it is.

As touched upon earlier, my biggest issue with three isn’t the above, more that that Kung Fu meter starts out at 0. Without any training, the fight with the two Blue Spiders thugs at the beginning of the game is very difficult to beat (at least for first time players), which makes Ryo feel much weaker than in previous games. That 20 minutes of horse stance and one inch punch training can have such a dramatic impact feels equally bizarre.

I would say this is a potential shortcoming of the game design versus narrative. For better or worse, Shenmue III changes to gameplay do play an effect on the story telling to some degree, but I also see the point of it. I think they really wanted to emphasise the importance of training in this game. Its all done to further reiterate and strengthen the idea of "train every day without neglect" and further more incorporate that into the actual gameplay itself.

For better or worse, I still think the emphasis on Daily Routine is what makes Shenmue III so interesting for me. And in some ways, better than the first two games from a narrative to gameplay stand point. At least in the way it incorporates training into the main game play and almost makes it more meaningful. I mean yeah, you can train in the original Shenmue but its not entirely necessary to beat the game either. I barely trained in my first playthrough way back when and was still able to breeze through the game without issue. But I think I really like the way SIII makes it a bigger deal to the core gameplay.

Shenmue III is all about daily routine. Spend a little bit training. Spend a little bit earning money. Spend a little bit progressing. And so forward.

That's not to say its all perfect. I think the stupid "mash buttons" explanation for the fighting system really downplays that system. Especially when button mashing gets you punished (especially on the higher difficulty where the AI will block and punish that shit.) While the fighting system in SIII isn't perfect, it certainly isn't a button masher either as there is a great reliance on playing footsies, landing counter hits and whiff punishing. I see a lot of potential with that system if it just gets further fleshed out. The foundations of VF are still very much there. It just needs more work. And I think the simple "mash buttons" explanation did it a great disservice.

I think this is all just an issue with the way in which they tried to change the gameplay more than it is anything else. I see what they were doing. They really wanted to emphasize the importance of training in the game. And I can also see why that might make Ryo look weak compared to the first two games where he was able to blitz through most fights with ease. I don't know, I enjoyed the change up and thought it was an interesting way to strengthen the core idea of training.

Last edited:
I would say this is a shortcoming of the game design versus narrative potentially. For better or worse, Shenmue III changes to gameplay do play an effect on the story telling to some degree, but I see the point of it. I think they really wanted to emphasise the importance of training in this game. Its all done to further reiterate and strengthen the idea of "train every day without neglect" and further more incorporate that into the actual gameplay itself.

For better or worse, I still think the emphasis on Daily Routine is what makes Shenmue III so interesting for me. And in some ways, better than the first two games. At least in the way it incorporates training into the main game play.

Shenmue III is all about daily routine. Spend a little bit training. Spend a little bit earning money. Spend a little bit progressing. And so forward.

That's not to say its all perfect. I think the stupid "mash buttons" explanation for the fighting system really downplays that system. Especially when button mashing gets you punished (especially on the higher where the AI will block and punish that shit.) While the fighting system in SIII isn't perfect, it certainly isn't a button masher either as there is a great reliance on playing footsies, counter hits and whiff punishing. I see a lot of potential with that system if it just gets further fleshed out. The foundations of VF are still very much there. It just needs more work. And I think the simple "mash buttons" explanation did it a great disservice.
Don’t get me wrong, I love the focus on training in S3 and maintain that it’s by far the best of the existing trilogy in that regard. That said, I’d have preferred more gradual and subtle gains and some kind of mechanism for limiting gains per day to further emphasize the notion of training every day without fail (in my most recent playthrough, for example, I literally did all of my training on day one and then never touched the horse stance and one one-inch punch training tools for the rest of my playthrough).

Couldn’t agree more on the “just mash buttons” explanation. How nobody flagged this as an issue and how anybody thought that it was a good idea in the first place really is beyond me. The system is far from perfect, but it’s a lot better than it ever gives itself credit for.
Can we get back on topic please guys.
There is a dedicated forum to discuss aspects of Shenmue 3.
Thanks!
My bad. Missed this message before my last reply.

Anyhow, 110 Industries...a step down from Deep Silver or up???
Since they seem to want to work with Suzuki Shenmue or another game I’d say they’re an improvement. And Deep Silver is owned by Koch so there’s so much corporate tape with that. I also feel like I heard someone say 110 is really good at getting investors to pony up money for projects. And if Twitter is any indication they like Shenmue.

110 said they had an announcement coming. Of course things are gonna slow down. They had to reel it back in. Here' hoping it's Shenmue 4.

Anyhow, 110 Industries...a step down from Deep Silver or up???

Possibly a step up, because it looks like they would treat Shenmue as a big deal and throw everything they have at it. Deep Silver is a big publisher that has its finger in a lot of pies, so they ended up treating Shenmue 3 as a bit of a side hustle that was worth a punt for them, but not something that they were entirely invested in.

Undoubtedly 110 are able to look past the Kickstarter and can offer there own insight & knowledge on how to handle a possible fourth game. They seem to know their stuff when it comes to sega, it's history and games.

Last edited:
Are we just talking about like commitment, passion, feelings
or budget, connections, possibilities, project scale too?

Because i think those are two different categories
and Deep Silver is gonna be better in the second category while 110 Industries is gonna be better in the first category.
I still dont believe one bit that 110 Industries can offer a bigger budget or more press / promotion in terms of output scale / quantity. But if 110 Industries has some 'fanboys' (in a positive way) then its possible that they can surpass Shenmue 3
with passion. Throwing endless money at something in development doesnt make it automatically better.

But i have my doubts that 110 Industries is able to outperform Deep Silver in all of those categories,
that seems very unrealistic.

I think it's currently hard to judge how good 110 industries are at doing anything, as we haven't seen them have a commercial release as of yet. They do seem to be good at drumming up support and funding though which is a mega plus for our situation. The fact that they are a smaller/basically indie publisher at the moment, who are trying to "get their foot in the door" to the industry, also bodes well for us and suits this kind of project. They want to come out swinging, and if they manage to release a new game with a name like Yu Suzuki/Shenmue, which turns out to be great, then that's an excellent goal to work towards.

As people said earlier, I'm very grateful for Deep Silver (basically their additional money more than anything :D), as without them we would have had a lesser Shenmue 3. However, Deep Silver seemed eager to jump on Shenmue 3 when most of the hard work had been done. They grabbed it a year from release and overall, did a pretty poor job at marketing the game (using old assets for marketing material lol. I mean come on, anyone would realise that's a piss poor job and just lazy), and then recouped their money via the Epic Deal (which is fine and the correct business move). It was a low risk move. If Shenmue 3 hit it big, they'd make some easy money, and if it didn't, well, they'd be able to come out even.
I have a friend who used to work for Sony and spent time working with Deep Silver. I recently talked to him about 110 Industries (as he is still in the publishing business), to ask if he knew of them (he didn't, which is sorta expected as they seem to be mostly focusing on Japanese Talent). Explaining the rest of the Shenmue situation to him, we naturally talked about Deep Silver/Koch, and he wasn't surprised about their low effort mainly due to his dealings with them.

At the moment, we can't say who will do better, which is why people are talking about commitment/passion etc. Hopefully in a few weeks, we will get to see if these translate to helping Shenmue as a franchise.

Last edited:
Aren't they a relatively new company?
It might help to know the background of the CEO or some of the most important members.
As far as I know they only made one game but I might be wrong
Yeah they're were exstablished I believe in 2017. They got 3 games announced but in total I read somewhere they have 11 projects still to be announced. Someone else might know more about their individual backgrounds that's one thing I'm unsure of.

Yeah they're were exstablished I believe in 2017. They got 3 games announced but in total I read somewhere they have 11 projects still to be announced. Someone else might know more about their individual backgrounds that's one thing I'm unsure of.

Well the two co-founders didn't really work in video games before from what I can understand from their profile on LinkedIn and such. But they seem really passionate about video games. I mean they are still business profit oriented (big surprise in capitalism to look for profit lmao).

But it might be a better publisher than Deep Silver because, Deep Silver/Koch Media is pretty big tbh, with investors, shareholders and a very vertical structure. So obviously they will have a very corporate type management and look for quick profits.

Where 110 is smaller,, so it's easier to communicate directly with the publishers. They have investors too, but no shareholders, so it gives more freedom as to how to look for profit and establish yearly goals.

I think time will tell, we'll see first with Wanted : Dead how did that turn out, but I'm pretty confident.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back