110 Industries & Yu Suzuki

Shenmue fans - "Show me the MONEY".

110 industries - ".....we ate it".

Shenmue fans - *giggles nervously and then runs like a shithouse on fire to check the bank*

Last edited:
What if Yu and company is waiting to see if Shenmue anime gets renewed for second season? The next season would cover Shenmue 3. In turn setting up Shenmue 4.
Does anyone know if anime licensing deals happen at the same time they are announced to the public?

I'm no expert but I'm assuming potential S4 publishers would want to see the streaming and merchandise numbers before greenlighting anything and unless the announcement of season 2 suddenly opens up a new stream of revenue that season 1 didn't, I can't imagine they particularly care about another season that would take years to see any returns from and has little to do with the game.

Also, considering that SEGA would likely be taking all anime-driven profits and the fact the anime was just a PR campaign for the games, season 2 is presumably not a high priority for Suzuki-san right now. I'm guessing this is YS-NET's last attempt at getting a bigger budget and if this doesn't work, they'll probably scale down the game.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if anime licensing deals happen at the same time they are announced to the public?

I'm no expert but I'm assuming potential S4 publishers would want to see the streaming and merchandise numbers before greenlighting anything and unless the announcement of season 2 suddenly opens up a new stream of revenue that season 1 didn't, I can't imagine they particularly care about another season that would take years to see any returns from and has little to do with the game.

Also, considering that SEGA would likely taking any anime-driven profits and the fact the anime was just a PR campaign, I can't imagine anyone at YS-NET would be waiting on better figures from a season 2 to fund S4, unless the anime does way worse than we thought.

The way I'm trying to frame it is Yu and company is trying to build momentum and exposure as much as possible. I'm thinking of a timeline like this: Shenmue 3 did "fine" enough to get a anime, Shenmue anime did good enough to get a second season, Shenmue anime season 2 did good as well, Shenmue anime season 2 leads into Shenmue 4 and Shenmue season anime 3.

When Yu is pitching Shenmue 4 to publishers he's probably using Shenmue success to convince publishers to buy in. We have a community that does a tweetathon on the 4th of every month, Shenmue highest game Kickstarter, Shenmue anime, Shenmue documentary, Shenmue community @LemonHaze and others redesigning Shenmue 1&2, etc. All this tells a story and shows publishers there is a market for Shenmue. At least I think.

I feel that first we will get the game Shenmue IV maybe in 2024 or even next year, it will depend on whether the development is advanced, i have hope that Shenmue IV is in development, after the release of Shenmue IV i think that we will see the
announcement of the second season of the anime, or even before that we will get the announcement.

I would prefer the second season telling the story of Shenmue III and Shenmue IV. I don't know if it's going to happen like this, but i just hope that the Shenmue franchise continue.

If shenmue doesn't get a fourth game after proving that it can be successful would be to me anyway, an injustice. Some modern games that have released have been buggy, glitchy, unfinished and unpolished and still get sequels. Say what you want about shenmue 3 but at least when it dropped it didn't have major issues. Anyway 3 weeks today since the banana and the apple tweet... Anyone got the feeling that whoever they might be involved with might of said "hey, what you doing guys...not yet."

If shenmue doesn't get a fourth game after proving that it can be successful would be to me anyway, an injustice. Some modern games that have released have been buggy, glitchy, unfinished and unpolished and still get sequels. Say what you want about shenmue 3 but at least when it dropped it didn't have major issues. Anyway 3 weeks today since the banana and the apple tweet... Anyone got the feeling that whoever they might be involved with might of said "hey, what you doing guys...not yet."

Hm i dont know. I mean they are literally the publisher,
so shouldnt they know above anyone else what and when they are going to tweet?
Who else is gonna tell them what to tease or not?
In terms of Shenmue, probably only the original IP owner, Sega, would be able to say something.
And why should they care about that, Sega doesnt even have a showcase event or something like that.
110 Industries is probably not a big company in terms of staff size,
you can basically only find like two names.
So shouldnt it be even easier to communicate with their own social media guy then,
especially when he only tweets like one time a month?
Maybe it isnt even a social media guy, but one of the two founders.

If we are talking about a actual accident / 'leak' and lets say Sony asked them to stop that
because they want the surprise for some event announcement,
i'm pretty sure 110 Industries would have completely deleted the tweet after 1-3 days.

So 110 Industries posting that apple banana tweet and then someone else who is working
with them on the project told them to slow down with that seems a bit random if you ask me.
I would only believe that if they would have deleted some of the tweets and / or completely stopped
liking all of these comments.

I still stand by my principle.

Feels very weird to me for a company to say "We have a big announcement coming in a couple of weeks", announce a couple of things which *aren't* the big thing, by their own admission,and then go radio silent.

Does it mean it was Shenmue IV?

No, but usually most companies adhere to whatever they say that involves a timeline to an announcement, except Abandoned which is just a scam artist, imo. No ARG is that intricate, not even by Kojimas standards.

There wasn't even an acknowledgement of how it came and went. Nothing about a delay, etc. which would've been easy to do.

I think whatever it is was picked up for a larger audience showing, whether or not it is, indeed, Shenmue IV.

They arent radio silent at all, they liked Shenmue related comments just two days ago.
Why would they like these Shenmue questions etc
if some company above them told them to slow down with their own tweets?
So they then stopped with the tweet teasing but they still keep liking very specific tweets from
random users? We literally posted some of these liked comments here in this forum,
so as we can see thats already enough to keep the fans going. So whats the point then
to stop tweeting about it when we are still talking about the tweets they liked?

And this all just happened randomly in a time frame of three weeks because there was zero communication
about it between the involved companies? That sounds pretty unprofessional.
Did 110 Industries not know that theres going to be Summer Games Festival, Gamescom, and all of that
even tho we all here knew it? Sony and so on didnt even know that they are working on it until now?
Geoff Keighley contacted them 4 weeks before the show, btw do you have a trailer for us?
I dont believe that one bit.

Not saying that its not Shenmue 4, not saying that there cant be a trailer at Summer Game Festival or whatever
but the situation we have right now doesnt fit the 'someone must have asked them to slow down' scenario.
If someone gave them a real rap on the knuckles, they would have stopped engaging with us completely.

Googling's not too exciting lately. Lately I get excited & it ends up being another press release about the anime or an article from 2011 that somehow gets tagged as being from this week. Do wish 110 would throw us another meaningless apple-banana fake-out tweet so we have something to live for this week. If you're reading this, please...!

Last edited:
StudioFake changed their name to Fun corporation: https://www.studiofake.co.jp/topics/#post-184

FunCo

This is Keiji Okayasu's company. He was the assistant director on Shenmue 3.

Another Meaningless MJQ Update(tm), but something to keep an eye on until we have an actual game to look at.

Last edited:
StudioFake changed their name to FunCo:

FunCo

This is Keiji Oyakasu's company. He was the assistant director on Shenmue 3.

Another Meaningless MJQ Update(tm), but something to keep an eye on until we have an actual game to look at.

There are five letters in "Index." The middle letter is "D." D is the fourth letter in the alphabet. When you add this up you get Shenmue 4🤯

I don't really get or understand how games are developed anymore, but I assume the second director is a fairly big role? I'd hope?? But I'm sure he's busy with whatever else he's doing. This is Myth of Sisyphus type stuff right now. The announcement'll drop and all these lil' threads will be forgotten, but I find it fun when I'm bored. Total dead end in any case...

Personal opinion - so please don't take offense - but I would rather watch a full youtube playthrough for free than pay for that. Also, the complaints when comparing S3 to the originals were tough, I'm not sure I could handle listening to the comparison to a point-and-click.

It's not that I particularly dislike point-and-click games either - in fact some of my favourite games are in that genre - I guess Shenmue has just spoiled me.

Personally, I'd prefer - fully fledged>action arcade(voiced)>anime>manga>nothing.

Hahaha I can understand. I guess we don't have the same tastes at all.

But if Shenmue 4 isn't possible to do as a pure Shenmue game, I would still be okay with it being an Open World Telltale game basically.

Why do we have a vibring Shenmue 4 thread here at the dojo. Why are we invited to discuss about it and there's no comparable thread for Shenmue 5,Shenmue Zero, etc? Because Shenmue 4 really echoes happening.
I admit this being weird (we've seen weirder tho) and all but i see easier explaining this whole buzz with S4 in mind than with anything else.

On a personal note: Red Goes Faster feels so fake to me. Everything. Who will play that massively? The NFS tuning hotheads? space races? And the rpg players may find enjoyable duck/chocobo/x race minigame but i cant see such a thing as a driving with story for wide audiences. It has been tried many times by namco, square... meh results. Leon Garcia omg... phonetically could pass as a westernization of Ryo. Duh, RGF = S4

Last edited:
A single player story-based racing game seems odd, given multiplayer is where racers focus. I think it sounds like a reasonable game, though.

A single player story-based racing game seems odd, given multiplayer is where racers focus. I think it sounds like a reasonable game, though.
I agree. To be honest:
- i quite enjoyed Test Drive Unlimited which i may be stretching a bit but certain aspects seemed rpg-like imo
- Same for Penny Racers (choroQ) back at psx days
- im very curious about thriller-driving game "Beware"
- i consider Oregon Trail as a game of this kind. And to me it holds a underlooked "before & after" in games mechanics and story telling.

But concerning RGF: doesnt seem too much to you? i mean exagerated?

I don't know. All I've seen is that nondescript teaser and the summary. We don't even know that it's a YS game. If it were, somehow, Shenmue with a racing component instead of a fighting component, though, would that seem that odd? I don't think so. Just swap out fighting for racing, then let us explore the environments/wherever the game takes place. Since it's set in the future/space, I assume it'll be more like WipeOut than a regular racer.

I like racing games. I like fighting games. I don't particularly like dating sims, though. Seems like an ok concept for a game for the most part. I don't have any problem with it so far. Right now it's p. much just vaporware.

Back