Adult Swim Broadcast Ratings

Episode 3 ratings:

Show Ranking - #22 in key demographic for Feb 19th
Total viewers - 301,000 (+82,000 from last week)

18-49 demo: 0.14 (+0.04)
12-34 demo: 0.13 (+0.02)
25-54 demo: 0.14 (+0.02)
50+ demo: 0.07 (+0.02)

This was a great week. Across the board improvement in every demographic leading to a big increase in total viewers. Very nice jump in the 18-49 demo. I speculate these results can be attributed to not having a Super Bowl weekend to compete against and positive word of mouth for the show having an effect.

Last edited:
Great to see an increase and also that it’s the best performing show in Adult Swim’s Toonami block for the second week running. Can’t help but feel that calling it the 22nd most watched cable show for Saturday is a little misleading though. It certainly performed well with the 18-49 demographic, but when it comes to total estimated views, it barely makes the top 100.

Great to see an increase and also that it’s the best performing show in Adult Swim’s Toonami block for the second week running. Can’t help but feel that calling it the 22nd most watched cable show for Saturday is a little misleading though. It certainly performed well with the 18-49 demographic, but when it comes to total estimated views, it barely makes the top 100.
Updated chart ranking statement to reflect performance in key demographic instead of total viewership.

I feel like the anime is doing as well as it could. It will never be mainstream and I guess IMDb no. Of ratings and reviewers reflect that or am I reading too much into this and anime generally doesn't get many reviews on IMDb

Would love to see Crunchyroll figures but will never happen I guess

This weeks ratings are up. The show didn't make the top 50 so data outside the 18-49 demographic was not published.

Episode 4 ratings -

Show Ranking: #79 in key demographic for Feb 26th
Total Viewers: 243,000 (-58,000 from last week)
18-49 demo: 0.11 (-0.03)

Looking at the chart, cable news and college basketball games dominated on Saturday. Due to the war in Ukraine, many hours of CNN and Fox News programming charted at the top, pushing everything else down. This is why Shenmue is ranked much lower than last week. Despite this, the show still came up with its 2nd best total viewership number and was in line with season averages for the key 18-49 demo. It was also again the highest rated show on Adult Swim. I think the anime did well this week regardless of having to compete with current events.

We have 4 weeks of data now, so I'll update season averages going forward:

Weekly Average Total Viewership: 243,750
Weekly Average rating in 18-49 demo: 0.115

Last edited:
Episode 5 ratings:

Show Ranking: #74 in key demographic for Mar 5th
Total Viewers: 203,000 (-40,000 from last week)
18-49 demo: 0.09 (-0.02)

It was all college basketball and news coverage at the top again this week. Until March Madness ends or the news becomes less interesting, I expect numbers in this range to be the norm. Shenmue continues to lead the Adult Swim block as the highest rated show.

Updated Season Averages:
Weekly Average Total Viewership: 235,600 (-8,150 from previous average)
Weekly Average rating in 18-49 demo: 0.11 (-0.005)

Last edited:
Are there ratings from elsewhere in Toonami to compare to? What about the lead in?

Are there ratings from elsewhere in Toonami to compare to? What about the lead in?
I went back and added a link to the chart for the air days on all of my posts. The other Toonami shows appear on them, but the lead in does not.

It's doing better than popular shows with existing fan bases, maybe just because it's on earlier? Seems like that must be a good thing for the 'future' of the series.

It's doing better than popular shows with existing fan bases, maybe just because it's on earlier? Seems like that must be a good thing for the 'future' of the series.
I'd hope that given the fact its trending every week on Twitter and its general ratings on IMDB etc seem good, along with viewership, that a second season must be firmly in the thoughts

Back