Adult Swim Broadcast Ratings

Second seasons are a rare thing with anime, even popular ones. And even when there is a second season, it's normally a few years after the first.

Gonna really savour the next 8 weeks then, cus I fear we're all in for another long silence as we wait for confirmation of season 2 or another game.

Still, patience is a Shenmue fans best friend 😄

Ideal situation:

A few years to S2 would be fine.... Especially if we can get a surprise Shenmue 4 in between, Yu's confirmed they were "working on some games".

Season 2 could then tell SH3 and SH4 without spoiling the gaming experience.

We definitely wont know anything season 2 related for a good two years minimum. Maybe even 3 years. Id expect shenmue 4 before we see the anime return.

Lets enjoy these next two months fully. Who knows if we'll ever be in this position again.

Episode 6 ratings are up.

Show Ranking: #59 in key demographic for Mar 12th
Total Viewers: 222,000 (+19,000 from last week)
18-49 demo: 0.10 (+0.01)

Good to see a small bounce upward toward the season average this week. The episode lead the Toonami block again as highest rated show. Attack on Titan right after Shenmue had a large drop off to 153k viewers (0.07 in 18-49). I also noted Shenmue appeared to be the highest rated scripted show on the cable chart Saturday night.

Updated Season Averages:
Weekly Average Total Viewership: 233,333 (-2,266 from previous average)
Weekly Average rating in 18-49 demo: 0.11 (no change)

Last edited:
Holy crap! This is nothing but good news. Suffice to say the anime is a very strong performer so far. Can you update the main post by chance as new ratings come out, so we can see all of the data at once?

Holy crap! This is nothing but good news. Suffice to say the anime is a very strong performer so far. Can you update the main post by chance as new ratings come out, so we can see all of the data at once?
Good idea. I've added all the data to the bottom of the OP and will continue to do so going forward.

Happy to report I can list all age demographics this week because Shenmue made the top 50 with ease.

Episode 7 ratings -

Show Ranking - #20 in key demographic for Mar 19th
Total viewers - 274,000 (+52,000 from last week)

18-49 demo: 0.14 (+0.04)
12-34 demo: 0.17
25-54 demo: 0.10
50+ demo: 0.05

Another good showing this week. Big jump in viewership that tied the previous season high of 0.14 in the 18-49 category. Toonami was celebrating their 25th anniversary this weekend so that probably provided a bump. Shenmue was easily the highest rated show for the block with the two shows following, Attack on Titan and Assassination Classroom, both coming in at 197k viewers and a 0.11 in 18-49.

Updated Season Averages:
Weekly Average Total Viewership: 239,143 (+5,810 from previous average)

Happy to report I can list all age demographics this week because Shenmue made the top 50 with ease.

Episode 7 ratings -

Show Ranking - #20 in key demographic for Mar 19th
Total viewers - 274,000 (+52,000 from last week)

18-49 demo: 0.14 (+0.04)
12-34 demo: 0.17
25-54 demo: 0.10
50+ demo: 0.05

Another good showing this week. Big jump in viewership that tied the previous season high of 0.14 in the 18-49 category. Toonami was celebrating their 25th anniversary this weekend so that probably provided a bump. Shenmue was easily the highest rated show for the block with the two shows following, Attack on Titan and Assassination Classroom, both coming in at 197k viewers and a 0.11 in 18-49.

Updated Season Averages:
Weekly Average Total Viewership: 239,143 (+5,810 from previous average)

Those are very impressive numbers. Thanks for sharing

The consistency of the viewership is a hugely positive thing, most shows start high, dip, and with good word of mouth or something going viral end high again.

To start relatively high and keep it up for 7 weeks straight is great, and builds confidence for the sponsors/distributors. They can use that to sell a season 2...Fingers crossed.

Is there any way to check or speculate on the the crunchy roll and adultswim web player views?

Is there any way to check or speculate on the the crunchy roll and adultswim web player views?
Haven't found anything so far, unfortunately. The only public data we have to go on is the number of review ratings for the show on Crunchyroll and upvotes/downvotes/comments on each episode. Can't really extrapolate anything useful from that.

Second seasons are a rare thing with anime, even popular ones. And even when there is a second season, it's normally a few years after the first.
I wonder if the case of Shenmue might be an exception to this pattern, because of the story structure. From the very first scene of the first episode, this season has been set to be a giant setup to a cliffhanger at the very end (the cave scene).

It would be weird if they weren't at least thinking of a possible second season since the beginning.

Last edited:
Episode 8 ratings -

Show Ranking: #62 in key demographic for Mar 26th
Total Viewers: 202,000 (-72,000 from last week)
18-49 demo: 0.09 (-0.05)

Shenmue lead the block. Attack on Titan followed with 178k viewers (0.08 in 18-49), then Assassination Classroom pulled 200k (0.09 in 18-49). I'm speculating the NCAA men's basketball tournament pulled some viewers away from Toonami this week. The game between Duke and Arkansas being played at the same time grabbed over 10 million eyeballs. The Final Four is scheduled for this Saturday but both games will be over by the time Shenmue airs, so we'll hopefully see an uptick for Episode 9.

Updated Season Averages:
Weekly Average Total Viewership: 234,500 (-4,643 from previous average)

It’s great to see Shenmue doing well in relation to even Attack on Titan. We’ve not yet seen it in ‘Most Popular’ lists on Crunchyroll but there seem to be signs it’s doing pretty well there. It’s also a positive sign that it’s trended on Twitter so often following episodes. And, obviously, when the Blu rays and merch become available we’ll all be playing our part to support the project 😀

Episode 9 ratings -

Show Ranking - #25 in key demographic for Apr 2nd
Total viewers - 251,000 (+49,000 from last week)

18-49 demo: 0.13 (+0.04)
12-34 demo: 0.13
25-54 demo: 0.12
50+ demo: 0.06

The bump I was hoping for after last week did indeed happen, which is great. Shenmue was easily the strongest show in the Toonami block. Attack on Titan followed with 175k viewers (0.08 in 18-34) and Assassination Classroom had 161k (also 0.08 in 18-49).

Updated Season Averages:
Weekly Average Total Viewership: 240,460 (+1,317 from previous average)

Last edited:
I'm not sure everyone is aware, but the pilot is usually the most watched episode of any show for any season other than maybe a highly anticipated finale.

WWE RAW doesn't always crack 1,000,000 and it's the number 1 regular cable television show so a 250,000 average is pretty damn amazing for the mediocre-average promotion outside of the network. And WWE really works hard (and I mean hard) to get the 0.41 rating within the 18-45 age demographic.

The network will probably want to do Shenmue 3, but I could see them wrapping that up in about 4 or 5 episodes unless they really wanted to elaborate on something that wasn't in the game.

Back