An annoucement about shenmue is coming ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shenmue beat em up
Shenmue fighting game
Shenmue prequel?

If it’s not Shenmue 4 and it’s not something that wraps up the rest of the story, I can’t imagine what would be sour about it unless someone conclusively states the series is over. Even an iPhone game would be better than nothing right now...

If it’s not Shenmue 4 and it’s not something that wraps up the rest of the story, I can’t imagine what would be sour about it unless someone conclusively states the series is over. Even an iPhone game would be better than nothing right now...
That’s my reasoning. The only way the news that we’re getting news of the continuation of the series could be bad news would be if it signals the end of the series in video game form - but I’m pretty sure that in an earlier tweet he implied that whatever this is could lead to Shenmue 4.

I suppose the plan could be to tell the rest of the Shenmue story in another medium (this is starting to look like a given based on his reluctance to confirm the medium) and his logic is that we’re it to be successful they might go back and make the games, but I dunno if this fits.

Thank god we have no more than four days to wait before finding out, but I’m a little worried.

Something involving Shenmue with a decent budget but it's not Shenmue IV. Hmmmmm.Only thing I can think of is Shenmue Online is coming back or Fighter's Megamix 2 or some sort of Sega related Fighting Game.

Might be Shenmue VR. Although that's kinda left field considering Sega has a slew of quality lightgun games that need to be ported to VR immediately (HoTD, Virtua Cop, LA Machineguns etc.)

Could also be Shenmue 0 as well. Sega has proven that they're willing to invest somewhat into Shenmue considering they were going to remake the first two games from the ground up which is no easy task.

Sweet and sour sounds like we get something (all I can think of is anime), but in return it's longer til we get a new game (or maybe cut short by one game?) because of that. If it's a spinoff or prequel game it would be worded differently imo.

Normally, and you guys know me by now, I would go nuts but I am little bit worried. I think it will be a sort of comic book to finish the story.

I'm guessing maybe an anime adaptation of the first 2 (or 3) games?

I'm very worried by that sour comment though.

I am starting to be pretty worried just because of the positbility of concluding the saga in a non video game form not even a year later of part III and without it being released still on Steam for example. The fact tha he said that is far in production is the only hope I have that it was started before Shenmue III and no as a patch to end it. Anyways, I am in negative mode for now.

Normally, and you guys know me by now, I would go nuts but I am little bit worried. I think it will be a sort of comic book to finish the story.
He said it’s more than a novel/book series, he’s avoided answering questions about whether it’s something we’ll play, read or watch and he’s said that it’s unexpected.

A game would be expected and I don’t see how telling us that it was something that we’ll play would in anyway ruin the surprise, if it’s more than a series of books or novels then it can’t really be a manga and so all signs are pointing to something visual (anime or live action adaptation).

If an outside investor is involved, it seems likely that whatever it is will start the story from the beginning - and it seems unlikely would give up on S4 so soon after nearly two decades of trying for S3. I’m pretty sure he’s said in the past that he has no intention of wrapping things up in any form other than video game form too.

But yeah. ‘Sour’ really does suggest that we might not be getting any more games.

Has anyone tried asking him on twitter if this announcement means the end of the series in video game form? That's my only worry.

Has anyone tried asking him on twitter if this announcement means the end of the series in video game form? That's my only worry.
I don’t think he will answer that question as to do so would confirm that whatever it is is not a game (and is therefor a video based project) - which he clearly doesn’t want to do.

Perhaps a better question would be, Does the new project make the chances of Shenmue 4 more or less likely?, but if the decision has already been made to switch from games to videos, he again can’t really answer without giving away more than he’s allowed.

Unfortunately, I think all we can really do is wait and see what it is and hope for the best.

Whatever it is, at least we now have a time frame! We will know what the hell this is within the next 4 days (if it's true... at this point, if it's not, this guy is going to get destroyed :p).

Very excited, but I wonder what he is referring to with the "Sweet & Sour" remark. If it's related to the story, I can only see a few things that might make it sour:-
  • We won't like the media format (aka not a game).
  • It covers the previous/current story but doesn't advance past the ending of III.
  • It wraps up the remaining story completely, which would make some fans sad. (Edit:- OK great, pretty much confirmed it's not this, as he said it won't overwrite a Shenmue IV :).
I'm sure I could think of some more, but the above are the things that instantly came to mind. Points 1 and 2 are minor to me, as I just want more Shenmue, regardless of what it is :p. I'd be the most worried about the final point, whatever this medium is, wrapping up the rest of the story. If that's the case, it will be bitter sweet, as we'll finally get all the answers and ending to the story we've waited 20 years for, but at the same time it's not a playable game. Either way, I'd take that lol.

Bring on the weekend!!

Edit:- If it's not overwriting Shenmue IV, then the only "sour" things can be related to the story medium, or the story content, aka when it takes place, spin off maybe?

Sweet and sour sounds like we get something (all I can think of is anime), but in return it's longer til we get a new game (or maybe cut short by one game?) because of that. If it's a spinoff or prequel game it would be worded differently imo.

Getting cut by one game wouldn't make sense. If we can make it to Shenmue 4 we'll make it to Shenmue 5. Yu could get away with Kickstarting Shenmue 5 everyone would pay to see the conclusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back