An annoucement about shenmue is coming ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
GamesCom doesn't really tend to announce non-game related announcements at their show right? I can't recall them announcing a novel or TV series before... Could be wrong.

GamesCom doesn't really tend to announce non-game related announcements at their show right? I can't recall them announcing a novel or TV series before... Could be wrong.
We don’t know that whatever it is will be announced at GamesCon (OP said in a few weeks whereas GamesCon starts tomorrow), so it could literally be anything.

I still think there’s a good chance the guy is full of it to be honest.

If the team have been working none-stop since Shenmue 3 went gold, it’s possible that Shenmue 4 could be at an advanced stage (especially if a decent chunk of Baisha had already been completed before going gold) and so a Shenmue 4 announcement wouldn’t come as a complete surprise, but from the sounds of it, if there even is an announcement, I don’t think it will be Shenmue 4. Of course, I’d love to be eating these words like black garlic this time tomorrow.

yeah it says "in the next few week", but Gamescom it's this week, so it's unlikely the shenmue announcement will be made during the show.

Even if a Shenmue 4 announcement would be perfect at Gamescom with this timing:

-empty year due to virus, so more esposition for Shenmue 4
-we are at the beginning of the next generation of consoles
-there aren't many next gen games, let alone good next gen games, again more esposition for us
-not much time passed since shenmue 3, so it's still hot

Is gamecom digital this year or something? Haven't kept up with the news
Looks to be streaming with press in attendance.
yeah it says "in the next few week", but Gamescom it's this week, so it's unlikely the shenmue announcement will be made during the show.

Even if a Shenmue 4 announcement would be perfect at Gamescom with this timing:

-empty year due to virus, so more esposition for Shenmue 4
-we are at the beginning of the next generation of consoles
-there aren't many next gen games, let alone good next gen games, again more esposition for us
-not much time passed since shenmue 3, so it's still hot
GamesCom would be as good a place as any to announce S4 (especially if it’s going to be published by Deep Silver), but I think announcing it too early could backfire.

There was an insane amount of Shenmue hype post E3 2015 but after nearly five years in development that hype had dissipated and the game launched with all the bravado of a wet fart.

Whilst I’m sure for us fans it’s a case of ‘the sooner the better’, I think for the good of the game it might actually be a case of the opposite. Aside from the game being good, I think a big announcement followed by a quick release will be better for sales. I’m genuinely still hoping for the announcement to be a launch trailer one month before release, but maybe Deep Silver, Yu and everybody else involved will be keen to bring an end to the continuous questions from fans about the future of the series.

Doubtful its Shenmue 4. Something small, fun, and overall trivial like some kind of story driven art content, maybe a comic? For a massive and huge announcement like Shenmue 4, I doubt he would have that level of insight

Anyone got any stream links and times for the event?

Cant hurt to torture ourselves like the old days and watch anxiously 😂

I do think a Switch port of 1/2 is coming, even though this announcement is apparently something else. Sega keeps saying they want to port a significant portion of their catalog to the Switch and that’s one of their bigger titles.

It's Fall Guys but with Chobu Chans instead (can you imagine) :LOL:
I wouldn’t be surprised if it was some kind of spin off game to be honest. Again, it would be a good way for YsNet to bring in some extra money without having to drop the $10m-$20m needed for something like Shenmue 4. If it’s self contained game (somebody mentioned a Virtua Fighter style game with Shenmue characters earlier, for example), it could very easily end up selling better than a Shenmue game whilst also allowing Yu and the team to work on assets that can later be used in the remaining Shenmue games (models, tweaks to the combat engine, etc).
Anyone got any stream links and times for the event?

Cant hurt to torture ourselves like the old days and watch anxiously 😂

I do think a Switch port of 1/2 is coming, even though this announcement is apparently something else. Sega keeps saying they want to port a significant portion of their catalog to the Switch and that’s one of their bigger titles.
It was heavily rumoured back at E3 2019 so much so we had prepared artwork in case it was announced.

I still think a Switch port of 1 and 2 is a good move

Looks to be streaming with press in attendance.

GamesCom would be as good a place as any to announce S4 (especially if it’s going to be published by Deep Silver), but I think announcing it too early could backfire.

There was an insane amount of Shenmue hype post E3 2015 but after nearly five years in development that hype had dissipated and the game launched with all the bravado of a wet fart.

Whilst I’m sure for us fans it’s a case of ‘the sooner the better’, I think for the good of the game it might actually be a case of the opposite. Aside from the game being good, I think a big announcement followed by a quick release will be better for sales. I’m genuinely still hoping for the announcement to be a launch trailer one month before release, but maybe Deep Silver, Yu and everybody else involved will be keen to bring an end to the continuous questions from fans about the future of the series.

Yeah for me but probably for every fan, the sooner the better", because I want to see S4 and S5 on PS5, since this next gen could be the last generation of traditional console, and I don't want to play the final Shenmue games on a streaming service, a "game as a service" or something.

Now everything is in place with assets from S3 ready etc. so they could virtually release one game every 2 years at least.

Also yes it's better not to announce things way too early.

Yeah for me but probably for every fan, the sooner the better", because I want to see S4 and S5 on PS5, since this next gen could be the last generation of traditional console, and I don't want to play the final Shenmue games on a streaming service, a "game as a service" or something.

Now everything is in place with assets from S3 ready etc. so they could virtually release one game every 2 years at least.

Also yes it's better not to announce things way too early.
With Yu’s advancing age I get the feeling we’ll be seeing a conclusion to the Shenmue saga (in one form or another) sooner rather than later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back