An annoucement about shenmue is coming ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Fun" implies that it won't be something earth-shattering like a Shenmue IV announcement or that the series will continue in manga form. A spin-off manga or novel seems far more likely.

Yeah, it's weird that people interpret "manga adaption" or comic as continuing the series and cancelling any potential future titles. It's more likely if one was announced, it would just be either retelling the existing story, adding to it or telling all new stories that supplements the main story.

It doesn't have to be "to continue" the story... it could be an adaption that retells and expands upon the existing story.

Edit: Or it could be something that adds to the lore, by focusing on Iwao's history or other character's stories and histories.

Maybe an anime series could be interesting (unlike a manga or a book), for Virtua Fighter it worked pretty well.
But at the same time it would be a failure for the videogaming.

Example Virtua Fighter anime did what Virtua Fighter games should've done (story mode in VF games).
For Shenmue that is a story driven game, the failure would be even bigger.

It doesn't have to be "to continue" the story... it could be an adaption that retells and expands upon the existing story.

I am betting on this. And also wishing for it.

It can be a novel, a manga, or even some animated shorts on Youtube. It could allow them to fix the obvious (lack of) story problems Shenmue III had in order to reach a good starting point for a possible Shenmue IV. While, in the meantime, adding a bit of lore and making a bit of money.

It could finish at the same point as III, with Niao Sun betraying Lan Di and getting the mirror, and nothing would be lost for the future.

Maybe we'll get an iOS/Android game filled with all the great mini games from Shenmue 3 (I actually think this isn't the worst idea; who wouldn't have fun chopping wood at work?).

Maybe we'll get a talking Ryo doll with 100 lines from Shenmue 3.

MAYBE Ryo and Shenhua will join the cast of SUPER SMASH BROS. Their special tag team attack will be long winded conversations about carrots.

I certainly think the novel/film/manga adaptations aren't the best direction for the series. None of these options is interactive. Shenmue is a video game. I love books and movies, but I didn't fall in love with Shenmue merely because of its story, though I do love the story quite a bit. They'd better hire a fantastic writer if they're going that route, cuz Shenmue's writing is nothing to write home about. A film would be the best case of the three: you could get some great Shenmue atmosphere and music in a movie. It's also by far the least likely outcome.

It could also be complete horseshit 🤣

Let's wait and see what comes. One thing we've become good at is waiting. Also it's great to see the buzz from this!
Yeah. At worst it builds some momentum and hype within the community. Nothing wrong with that.

Shenmue 4 is what people want, now it's not the time for merchandise and other things, we already have plenty of those.

Like I said I really hope it's the Baisha dlc chapter together with the "Shenmue 3 GOTY director's cut", that would be great.
That or Shenmue 4, I'm not interested on other things.

Shenmue 4 is what people want, now it's not the time for merchandise and other things, we already have plenty of those.

Like I said I really hope it's the Baisha dlc chapter together with the "Shenmue 3 GOTY director's cut", that would be great.
That or Shenmue 4, I'm not interested on other things.
I suppose it’s possible that the VO for Baisha was actually recorded in the original sessions (we were told of their decision to cut it quite some time after recording had wrapped) and that the team continued working on it after the game went gold. A GOTY edition would allow them to sell it to us again too so from a business perspective, even without Baisha (which I think is asking a lot), it would make sense (especially if it’s cross platform).

I still don’t think this fits in with the word ‘fun’ though.

I certainly think the novel/film/manga adaptations aren't the best direction for the series. None of these options is interactive. Shenmue is a video game. I love books and movies, but I didn't fall in love with Shenmue merely because of its story, though I do love the story quite a bit. They'd better hire a fantastic writer if they're going that route, cuz Shenmue's writing is nothing to write home about.

I have read some truly excellent manga and comic adaptions of franchises whose writing is nothing to write home about. There's no reason to think a decent writer couldn't take the world of Shenmue and turn it into something truly captivating, whilst adding lots to the lore.

But we're getting ahead of ourselves here. It's probably a free to play battle royale game of face off.

I have read some truly excellent manga and comic adaptions of franchises whose writing is nothing to write home about. There's no reason to think a decent writer couldn't take the world of Shenmue and turn it into something truly captivating, whilst adding lots to the lore.

But we're getting ahead of ourselves here. It's probably a free to play battle royale game of face off.
I agree. I'd hope they hire someone outside the Shenmue writing team.

If it's Baisha and they sell a new version with it (DLC or complete edition), I'm afraid this will make some noise.
People will complain they already paid for the game and they have to pay again for something that was promised before.

I don't believe in Shenmue IV. Usually game announcements come with trailers.
Remember the early Shenmue III trailers made a lot of people laugh because of face animations etc... Would they do that again or wait to have a well polished version to show?
If they're working on SIV, is the game in such an advanced stage of development?

Also early announcement means pressure from the community: "show us trailers, show us gameplay". I don't think they want to work under pressure from fans or anyone and because of that be forced to throw
in progress images to pleasure fans but also that would disappoint some.

I might be totally wrong and actually I'd love to hear about Shenmue IV, but I just feel the time hasn't come yet.
Also, I'm now very suspicious with insiders making twitter or whatever announcements to gain popularity. Best announcements are those that come with a complete surprise.

Let's see!

They're certainly not hiring anyone new, at least not publicly, to work on anything. Y'all know I snoop around the job sites and I haven't even found a bread crumb. Certainly possible they don't need to hire outside the organization.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back