An annoucement about shenmue is coming ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought it was confirmed it would not be a port?

Must admit I am getting very apprehensive on the idea of Shenmue venturing outside gaming medium - it's just not how I want to experience the saga. I know we got the Shenmue II Side Story Comics, but they we're so minuscule that i wouldn't even say they count.

I look at the recent approach to this with Final Fantasy XV and while I liked both Brotherhood & KingsGlaive I felt that it the main game itself was very bare in it's characters, lore etc. I really don't want a big part of the Shenmue Saga to be put into a disjointed medium. I'd watch a mini anime series at the very least but it would still unsettle me. I felt this way too about the notion of experiencing the Saga outside Ryo's Journey - The idea of DLC playing as Ren or other characters in story segments seemed a little unfocused to me - glad it was just a Battle Rally mini-game.

Shenmue continuing in episodic format wouldn't be good IMO. Shenmue isn't a series that has alot of options on how to finish the series. It isn't even a guarantee we will get to Shenmue 5 so Shenmue VR or episodic content is a waste of money.

Shenmue 1&2 for the Switch makes sense but then again why wait so late. Either way if new news is coming about Shenmue I'm 100% confident that Shenmue 4 is coming.

You guys ever see Hero Tales? It's made by the same creator as Full Metal Alchemist. It's very Shenmue.

It's set in China. A boy's loved ones get's killed by the head of a Chinese empire type group and he seeks revenge. The boy and his friends travel around china training and looking for the people who did it. It has a prophecy type theme throughout as well. It's been about 10 years since i've seen it, so i dont know how accurate that description is. Here's a trailer though. I enjoyed it

A Shenmue anime could be amazing if done right. It has all the ingredients to appeal to the anime crowd

Maybe my wish of a point n click prequel at the times of the emperor is coming true 🙂

It has to be some sort of prequel game or anime, otherwise I don't know what would fit the teased criteria.

I know they said no more DLC, but I would be happy about a S3 magic maze expansion pack and Shenhua costume

You're joking, but a prequel that depict Ryo's school life would be really amazing!

Actually it wasn't a joke. But sort of a dream baked into a joke :D
I totally agree with you.
And I'd like to add that a prequel would be the absolute best way to return to the world of Shenmue 1 in a new package. I have, for a while, been thinking about how the story could play out in Shenmue 0:

Ryo would still be going to school, where his relationship with Nozomi was better. At this time, before Iwao's death. We would see a different Ryo. Not as stuck in the future, not full of questions and anger. This Ryo is a little happier, more in the present moment. We can maybe see how Ryo and Tom met for the first time - and how Ryo got along with his other friends.

But there would be other problems. Maybe some gang, thugs and maybe even something that is related to the Chi You Men but not directly.

Ryo would wake up in the same room as in Sh 1, go to school and spend some time there. A little bit like Persona 5, but different.

Here Ryo have the same Yokosuka, Dobuita, Harbour and so forth but everything is slightly different.
The movie theatre, that were under some building work in Shenmue 1 could be open and functional in Shenmue 0.
My idea is that either Ryo fight the bad guys in there, or maybe Ryo goes there with Nozomi to watch a movie when suddenly there's a fire and smoke start to spread out, because of a thug taking revenge on Ryo for beating his thug friends ass.
Or something better then that! -But something that explains why it's closed and under re-construction in Shemmue 1.

In this Shenmue 0 world, you could actually visit Nozomi's house and spend time with her, in a similar way you do with Shenhua in Sh III. As you could not do that in the original Shenmue 1. I always thought when playing the original ´Where does Nozomi live and why can't I visit her?´, such a wasted opportunity in my opinion. We all love Nozomi. I would love to know more about her.

We could get to know Iwao more, what his personality was like, and to see how he raised Ryo into the person he is "today".

We could experience more funny/stupid momets with Fuku-san. Who knows, maybe Fuku-san got that Pig Money Box from Ine-san on his birthday just to learn how to save money.

In my opinion, this is the absolute only way for Ryo to "return to japan" because I think he won't do that in Shenmue IV or V.
This is all just me dreaming again. But if this was possible, if SEGA could make a prequel, having YS's right to use the Shenmue III model for Ryo and some other assets, then this prequel could possibly lay ground for a remake of Shenmue 1 and even

I know this is nearly impossible but I love these kind of ideas.

Whatever it is, who else is looking forward to seeing all the manchildren at Kickstarter having a mass tantrum because they believe they are entitled as backers to whatever it is?

I've got Sharen memes for days. Trust me you've haven't seen anything yet lol

Don't worry about the manchildren though, they're going to be upset no matter what happens because they're pathetic and just want attention. If anything expect the shouting and screaming crowd at some point, but don't take it seriously.

Shenmue's core plot isn't special , it's a vanilla revenge story, it wouldn't work well as an Anime/Manga/Novel.
The reason I liked the story is because Shenmue put me in Ryo's shoes, it made the story and characters personal, only a full fledged Shenmue game can do that

Shenmue IV or bust

I beg to differ. Most animes have a generic plot running throughout them, but they are much deeper than that

Naruto - He wants to be Hokage
Dragonball Z - Find all 7 Dragonballs and make a wish
One Piece - Find the one piece treasure
Shenmue - Boy want's revenge

These plot runs throughout these series, but the story in between is much deeper and grander than what it appears to be on the surface.

I could list a huge number of franchises that have core plots/stories that aren't particularly special, but have been adapted into comics or tv series or films that turn them into something incredible.

Just look at the Old Boy manga that isn't particularly brilliant, yet the film is incredible (in my opinion).

Power Rangers is another. Laugh if you want, but the Boom comic series is incredible with a huge serialized narrative that has taken something campy and childish and turned it into something really fun, deep and compelling.

The Archie Sonic comics were super popular (never read them myself) and the new comics (which I am reading) are really good.

I could go on... but I don't know if people necessarily agree with my examples.

The only thing I hate about this guy is he chose to tease something that is supposedly happening within the next few weeks. What a great way to torture us... The next few weeks could mean 1 week or it could mean 4 weeks. God knows.

Now we just have to sit, stew and go around in circles wondering what the hell is going on.

The only thing I hate about this guy is he chose to tease something that is supposedly happening within the next few weeks. What a great way to torture us... The next few weeks could mean 1 week or it could mean 4 weeks. God knows.

Now we just have to sit, stew and go around in circles wondering what the hell is going on.

Haha, i hear ya, but i kinda like it. It reminds me of the build up to Shenmue 3 when we were anxiously digging around for clues, guessing and pulling our hair out. Despite all the flaws with the Kickstarter, and there were many, I really enjoyed the journey from announcement to release. It was probably my favorite part. I think the community thrives when we're in these types of situations.

The ladies of Shenmue in ultra revealing bikinis? I know we live in a politically correct world and it’s all fashionable to be PC. But fuck it, I’m a MAN, I’d play that game and have no shame in saying so.

To keep it fair, we just get Ryo, Tom, Lan Di and Ren out there in speedos for the ladies :D Eye candy for all

Did you just say that you are a MAN?
hhhhh.png
I'm gonna report this on Twitter

Interesting take. I'm enjoying this speculation. It's like 2015 all over again

A manga/live-action/anime is inherently very risky because now you need to sell the idea on the story in a completely different way and it's something that can either retain fans or lose them and as I've eluded to in one of my previous posts, I'd have to say that I'd be so against these mediums that I probably wouldn't even give them a chance. It sounds a little bit childish of me potentially, but I wasn't initially sold on Shenmue through anything but a game and I don't watch any anime at all, apart from some Studio Ghibli films and Akira. And while I could just "give it a chance", it's just something that I don't like so I don't think I could even if I wanted to.

Not only is it risky, but you also lose about 3 quarters of what sold us all on Shenmue which is the interactive nature of it. I hope for my own sake that Yu isn't planning on a manga/anime, especially one which would reveal a core part of the story I've been following for 20 years, because I don't know if I'd remain interested in the series anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back