An annoucement about shenmue is coming ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my opinion, it would be worth taking the risk. We all feel that Shenmue 3 felt a little unfinished and rushed, right? I think the nature of its funding and how it came to be meant the team faced a lot of difficulties. It would not surprise me if Yu Suzuki kept plugging away at the game after release, refining it and working on new content hoping Deep Silver would give the green light for an expansion of sorts to bridge the gap between 3 and 4.

But yeah, if it adds the character perspective system, whatever would have been Bailu and anything we had believed was going to be in 3, there could be a minor backlash.

I hope it's something that picks up where 3 left off and bridges the gap between this and whatever 4 will be. Maybe something that makes 3's ending feel less abrupt.

Again, getting ahead of myself. I'm going to end up disappointed... This guy better not be bullshitting or over hyping.

A DLC and Cedric wouldn't be aware of it? That's so weird considering he's been coproducing the game, but why not.
Also, why spend time on an add-on when you can make use of that time for SIV?

Yeah, good point about Cedric. Again, that suggests this isn't DLC or an expansion, or that the dude is just lying.

Regarding why they would do this instead of 4? Well, it's a lower financial risk for all involved, it would take less time to produce and if proven successful it might give Deep Silver the confidence to then green light Shenmue 4.

These kind of expansions/budget releases are getting more common now and gamers seem to like picking them up, so they must make some kind of financial sense. If you think about it, they're probably very profitable since they can no doubt still charge around $20-30 for it, but probably put it far less money and resources into it than a full brand new game that would be $50 or $60.

A DLC and Cedric wouldn't be aware of it? That's so weird considering he's been coproducing the game, but why not.

Well, it kinda depends on how they're going forward. If the DLC ends up being Shenmue 4 just episodic add-ons for 3, then that would be okay.

As for Cedric, he may know something that is going on but is playing dumb... Sometimes they kinda have to do that.

If he is linked to it professionally; then he can't say anything about it even if he knows it exists.
I believe it is called professional secrecy.

If he is linked to it professionally; then he can't say anything about it even if he knows it exists.
I believe it is called professional secrecy.
He would be under an NDA as would anyone else involved. Joel at YSNET has said to me that no more DLC was planned but again if he's under NDA then that could be a ruse.

Simply put I'd be surprised if this were DLC and not either something new or the guy is talking rubbish. I'm liking all the speculation though

I mean a story DLC for a small indie game is not impossible,
in fact Deep Silvers Indie RPG Outward received a full story DLC campaign
and it came out 15 / 16 months (!) after the vanilla game was released.

That being said, they only did it because Outward was a huge unexpected success for everyone
with more than 400.000 sold copies. And the DLC was revealed 6 months before the final release.
So not a impossible scenario, it happened to another Deep Silver game that was released in the same time frame
but i'm still not counting on it.

Wouldn't they just say they can't comment on any matters relating to Shenmue 3 or DLC rather than flat out saying "no"...? That's what makes me skeptical that this is anything to do with Shenmue 3.
You would think so and I do tend to trust what he said. Reading the email again he said not currently planned for DLC. The last question is re Shenmue 4 lol. This was Julyish I think.

This isn't anything he's not said to other backers either tbf.

Screenshot_20200828-120642_Gmail.jpg

Considering the flack Joel took in the early days, he always seems so friendly and cool in his responses to messages. And I can't even begin to think of how much abuse he had to endure. He's a decent guy who always puts in an effort to reply to backers and engage with them. You don't just get copied and pasted corporate responses from him (for the most part).

Yeah, so not currently planned. That could have changed, but the fact it was only last month makes me think whatever this announcement is it's not related to DLC.

Considering the flack Joel took in the early days, he always seems so friendly and cool in his responses to messages. And I can't even begin to think of how much abuse he had to endure. He's a decent guy who always puts in an effort to reply to backers and engage with them. You don't just get copied and pasted corporate responses from him (for the most part).

Yeah, so not currently planned. That could have changed, but the fact it was only last month makes me think whatever this announcement is it's not related to DLC.
Yeah he's 100% a decent dude. Always helpful and engaging whenever I've spoken to him.

And his biggest crime against the human race was being a bit too excited about Shenmue 3 while on a stream, so Sharens everywhere were like...

tenor.gif

I found a Japanese forum where they're discussing this rumor. It seems they hate Shenmue even more than Resetera does. :(

Think we might just be spinning our tires anyway, but yeah, Cedric disavowing knowledge doesn't mean anything. He can't ruin a rumor before it's time to announce.

I found a Japanese forum where they're discussing this rumor. It seems they hate Shenmue even more than Resetera does. :(

Think we might just be spinning our tires anyway, but yeah, Cedric disavowing knowledge doesn't mean anything. He can't ruin a rumor before it's time to announce.
I can't understand that, if you do not likr something why not just move on? There is plenty of miserable things in life to spend it discussing things you do not like/hate instead of focusing on what you like.

It looks like a 4chan-esque (I know Japan came up with this kind of forum first) forum, so I suppose it's not the best measure of what Japanese gamers think. Prob. just the same kind of trolls we have in the West.

I don't get your attachment ti CoD when we established it being 120fps/4k has no bearing on the valdity of his rumor.

No attachment, I'm just putting things into perspective. CoD is also a AAA game and since every PS5 is effectively the same, the same limitations/budget would be the same for any AAA studio. I guess this is why people cite DF quotes when talking about this stuff aswell, because from what we've publicly heard from AAA PS5 developers, kinda contradicts what Golem says..

It looks like the announced dlc trailer is scheduled to be revealed in this hour after the trailer of a game Naser: Son of Man. Fingers Crossed for something Shenmue.

It looks like the announced dlc trailer is scheduled to be revealed in this hour after the trailer of a game Naser: Son of Man. Fingers Crossed for something Shenmue.
No Shenmue DLC. 😥

It's highly unlikely, but would Ryo as DLC in Streets of Rage 4 work?

(I'm still waiting for my copy from Limited Run due to ordering the Panzer Dragoon Remake at the same time...)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back