Any word on the when the console patch (XB1 & PS4) is coming?

Status
Not open for further replies.
See, here's what I have a major issue with right now. This exact phrase in your post, "we both know". Sorry, since when do you have any sort of idea of what I know. What I think. What I feel. No we don't "both know", because you are just assuming absolutely everyone agrees with your up in arms posts. I've seen it with a few people, using the words, "us", "we", and "everyone" when complaining about this, that and the other.

The fact of the matter is no, everyone doesn't agree with you. Everyone doesn't feel these bugs are seriously detrimental to their experience playing these games, and everyone doesn't hate and shit all over Sega and d3t for what issues there are.

Whether you agree or not, like it or not, or it either satisfies or dissatisfies your opinion or not, there was a day one patch for this game on console. That is fact. It was released a day earlier. If it didn't live up to your expectations, then that's your issue. But the fact of the matter is that there was a day one patch, not a one month patch, as you described earlier.

Peter, I completely agree with the sentiment, but mjqjazzbar has a point. When the game leaked early, we were repeatedly told by every Shenmue community I can think of to not discuss the game and that it was 'not representative of the game on release as there would be a substantial day one patch'. We were also told that the game should be considered 'alpha' in this state. The patches that you are now claiming can be considered 'day one' patches were live at that point and were dismissed as 'pre-release' patches.

Very cool article from PC Gamer with D3T and a bit of behind the scenes of the re-release:-

https://www.pcgamer.com/how-sega-brought-shenmue-back-to-life-on-pc/

Looks like it was an incredibly challenging project across the board. All the comments on the original code were in Japanese, no source code for the Dreamcast libraries. Great read and makes you appreciate how hard it was.

Reading through it just sounds like the typical stuff that's said, I don't see anyth-

The moon in Shenmue 2 is not a texture. It’s an actual 3D object in the distance correctly lit by the sun direction. This produces accurate phases. We were surprised by this level of detail!

Wait, what?

The Lucky Hit games adjust the physical behaviour of the ball based on the weather and temperature, calculated by the time of day.

Whaaaat?

Very cool article from PC Gamer with D3T and a bit of behind the scenes of the re-release:-

https://www.pcgamer.com/how-sega-brought-shenmue-back-to-life-on-pc/

Interestingly, we found that once the resolution was increased existing bugs became more apparent. There’s also the issue of widescreen, with the game being designed to run in a 4:3 ratio. This meant many of the cutscenes didn’t work correctly, so we had to add black bars at the sides.

4:3 cutscenes mystery officially solved.

Did you look into remastering extras such as the ‘What’s Shenmue?’ pre-order demo or the Shenmue Passport disc?

We did investigate the feasibility of porting these, but were unable to find the complete source code for these extra components.

?

Last edited:
Wait, sega let them use goggle translate, instead of assigning someone who can speak/read Japanese!? Hahahahah holy shit you couldn't write this stuff.

Wait, sega let them use goggle translate, instead of assigning someone who can speak/read Japanese!? Hahahahah holy shit you couldn't write this stuff.
That's not SEGA's job though. D3T could have invested some of the budget into bringing aboard a Japanese speaking person, but that's expensive and would have driven resources away from the actual game. In this situation for small snippits of Japanese text, tools like Google Translate probably did suffice.

Wait a minute...I thought the port was advertised as being taken from the original source code? But now "there was no source code for the Dreamcast libraries".
Am I missing something?

Wait a minute...I thought the port was advertised as being taken from the original source code? But now "there was no source code for the Dreamcast libraries".
Am I missing something?
I'm assuming they meant for Shenmue II only. That's why it's based off the XBox port.

MY HEAD IS IN THE SAND. I SEE NO PROBLEM HERE.

Nah, I'm just a busy, boring guy with plenty of adulting to do while time flies by and I barely even notice how long a few weeks have been. Life goes onward...

Ironic that these are the exact sentiments of a lot of first time players.
Laughed and then cried.

That's not SEGA's job though.
Gonna have to disagree here. The way I see it, because they chose to hire DT3 for the job, they are responsible for any decision DT3 makes. More importantly and more obviously, Sega is responsible for whatever the final product is. Maybe they should've been doing periodic reviews of the process along the way? I don't know, ultimately it's their product with their logo slapped on the front getting released.

Last edited:
That's not SEGA's job though. D3T could have invested some of the budget into bringing aboard a Japanese speaking person, but that's expensive and would have driven resources away from the actual game. In this situation for small snippits of Japanese text, tools like Google Translate probably did suffice.
What? Lol of course it's sega's job. The give d3t the resources and funding to get these ports made..

Am I missing something?
Yep just more misinformation. Add it to the pile

Yep just more misinformation. Add it to the pile

If you remember the initial talk of the games it did say original source code but not from which console. It's not misinformation but I can see the issue.

Here's a bloody stupid question. How the hell do you get a game going if there's no source code?

When did you start work on the project?
We first took possession of the Shenmue archive back in October 2015. Ramp up was slow while we picked through the massive data archive and planned the approach we would take to porting the project. Over the lifetime of the project, probably at least 20 people have touched the code, although the peak team size was probably around 10 developers.

Wow. That's tiny. It isn't any wonder it took them almost 3 years then for such massive games with such difficult programming (where all of the dev notes were in Japanese). Still a bit crazy how SEGA of Japan didn't offer help with translating or getting any of the original staff still at SEGA to advise on anything, sounds like D3T had a massive job on their hands to me.

I don't know if it's misinformation. They were referring to Shenmue 2 and they said shortly after the announcement that there were technical reasons why they had to port the XBox version. We can now presume that the 'technical' reasons were they did not have access to the source code for Shenmue II's Dreamcast libraries, but did have access to the source code for the Xbox version. Presumably they did have access to Shenmue 1's source code.

Yeah, makes sense not to double the translation efforts. XBOX version was already ported with English, specifically for US, assisted by Microsoft Game Studios. Not to mention ran on x86 already. Surely the PAL and JP Shenmue 2 are exactly like Shenmue Ch 1 with little-to-no English notation.

Plus, albeit extremely minor, I do love Ryo's collar and jacket model better from 2x--despite the goofy cuffs, which I can let slide. Add in XBOX shadow lighting and toned down bloom, it is a fantastic version. Although, I still will treasure the Dreamcast games as the definitives simply out of bias.

Currently experiencing a few bugs now which is definitely ruining the experience.

Ryo's footsteps are now out of sync and just sound completely different than they did previously. They also carry over a couple of steps after I've stopped running.

There are missing sound effects during lots of menu interactions.

Whilst leaving the dojo upon finding the Phoenix Mirror, I was looking at a plant in the garden for the entire Fuku-san conversation.

I'm glad the games are back on current consoles, but these sort of things should have been ironed out. Seriously, did they even test them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back