Did Shenmue 3 hurt the series?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's probably been two years since I've watched that video but both of those instances are HUMOR.

Seriously, let it go.

That's you on this subject, lol. Everyone is bad and evil. Only you are good.
Humour is subjective. Personally I didn't find it funny. Try Stewart Lee or Larry David for good comedy.

What is funny is that i'm trying pretty hard to understand where you're coming from, but it is not reciprocated. I can't think of a single time you've conceded or tried to look at things from another perspective or even appreciate another point of view. For that reason, personally, I find you a rather disrespectful individual.

But y'know stay stubborn, cynical and miserable. Whatever works for you 🤷‍♂️

Humour is subjective. Personally I didn't find it funny. Try Stewart Lee or Larry David for good comedy.

What is funny is that i'm trying pretty hard to understand where you're coming from, but it is not reciprocated. I can't think of a single time you've conceded or tried to look at things from another perspective or even appreciate another point of view. For that reason, personally, I find you a rather disrespectful individual.

But y'know stay stubborn, cynical and miserable. Whatever works for you 🤷‍♂️
I don't think that "Super Eye Patch Wolf is a terrible human being and killed Shenmue" is really a perspective I need to give much thought to. It's beyond silly.

Larry David isn't making youtube video game reviews. I don't find it funny either but I recognize it for what it is - his attempt at humor concerning a series he loved and is disappointed by. All youtube videos are by some definition "clickbait". Yes, if someone makes a youtube video, they want people to watch it. A 50 minute review is not clickbait just because it upset you.

Clickbait is a text or a thumbnail link that is designed to attract attention and to entice users to follow that link and read, view, or listen to the linked piece of online content, being typically deceptive, sensationalized, or otherwise misleading.

Not Clickbait:

Absolutely Clickbait:

Clickbait is a text or a thumbnail link that is designed to attract attention and to entice users to follow that link and read, view, or listen to the linked piece of online content, being typically deceptive, sensationalized, or otherwise misleading.

Not Clickbait:

Absolutely Clickbait:
I disagree. It's a humorous title. Not every video or creator has an obligation to stick to basic title format. His titles are fun and representative of his personality. Just because you dislike something does not mean it is clickbait.

I think the fact that the video is an in-depth review of the game, with a history of the series and other informative content prevents it from being clickbait.

All creators want your attention. That does not mean everything is clickbait.

It's a clickbait title, man, I just posted the literal definition of clickbait and you're like nah, I disagree 😅.

Whereas the game sack one is literally Shenmue 3 the Review. You know exactly what it's going to be. Hence it's not clickbait.

If the gamesack one had the title THIS IS THE BEST GAME EVER MADE that would be clickbait too.

Whether I agree or disagree with the content is irrelevant

Clickbait isn't defined solely by a title. Content and relevancy is imperative.

Do you want to go through all definitions of what is clickbait?

(on the internet) content whose main purpose is to attract attention and encourage visitors to click on a link to a particular web page.

something (such as a headline) designed to make readers want to click on a hyperlink especially when the link leads to content of dubious value or interest

Clickbait is a sensationalized headline that encourages you to click a link to an article, image, or video. Instead of presenting objective facts, clickbait headlines often appeal to your emotions and curiosity. Once you click, the website hosting the link earns revenue from advertisers, but the actual content is usually of questionable quality and accuracy. Websites use clickbait to draw in as many clicks as possible, thus increasing their ad revenue.

Any content on the internet whose main and exclusive motive is to attract attention and encourage visitors to click on a link to a particular web page is known as Clickbait. It is a medium to entice users to read, view, and listen to a linked piece of online content. It is the only way for many organization’s to exploit the curiosity gap by using clickbait headlines. It leads to the content of dubious value or content. These are attention-grabbing headlines used for Web or mobile content to lure readers into clicking on normally uninteresting content.

This guy's life was not actually ruined by this game. It's a joke, an exaggeration of his disappointment after 20 years of waiting for continuation. It conveys severe dis-satisfaction with a humorous tone.

The content is in depth, relevant and accurate. It's not clickbait, man.

To understand what clickbait really is, you have to go beyond the surface level definition, otherwise EVERYTHING can be clickbait. What the title or link actually leads to is important in determining whether or not it's clickbait.

What exactly are you trying to point out or highlight there? Be specific, mister good faith poster.

All content wants as much views and readership as possible, lol. Also not sure what microphone and drop of water mean.

Er, yeah thanks for proving my point like 3 times over.

Clickbait is a sensationalized headline that encourages you to click a link to an article, image, or video.

You've just posted that.

Now read the sepw video title and try again.

What exactly are you trying to point out or highlight there? Be specific, mister good faith poster.

All content wants as much views and readership as possible, lol. Also not sure what microphone and drop of water mean.

I'm not usually one to do this, but I feel i've accrued enough goodwill to be a bit snarky for once~

Everyone only read the first sentence of each definition. I will highlight again the more important bits.

It leads to the content of dubious value or content.
but the actual content is usually of questionable quality and accuracy.
especially when the link leads to content of dubious value or interest

The content matters in clickbait. An attention grabbing title that leads to a relevant, in depth video is not clickbait. Otherwise, all youtube videos are clickbait.

I'm not sure whether to be impressed or exasperated that you continue to be so stubborn about this.

Whatever you're on, i'm undediced if I want it or glad I don't have it.

Nah. Completely justified to think a "fan" with a huge following who didn't enjoy the third game is a prick for deciding to very publicly turn a gun on the series. Literally the attitude of a child to want to destroy something for others if you didn't enjoy it yourself.

And if you genuinely have little faith in Shenmue IV, I would simply suggest you don't play it if it ever comes out. I don't know why people insist on subjecting themselves to things they feel they won't enjoy. It's masochistic. 🤷‍♂️
Even if this is true however, that people dissatisfied with a particular entry in a series they otherwise enjoy will still want to play the latest instalment, I would argue that it is good for them to still hope that it meets their standards of “good” media. This type of gate-keeping is the root of the issue from what I can tell, because there is ultimately no such thing as bad publicity and as humans we usually hold out hope that something is good (albeit subjective) and so even if right now they’re dissatisfied with the series as a whole due to their subjective experience of a single entry in said series, it would still be a good thing for all parties for them to “give something a go”, because it obviously helps the series in the grand scheme of things (similar to how 1 vote ultimately does matter) and also has the opportunity to help remedy that persons view of said series as a whole.

In the context of SEPW, while I can disagree with him, I think his title is ultimately just an exaggeration and the more that we focus on either the title or the video itself (obviously after it has been corrected by fact checking and scanning for misinformation), we play into those who seek negativity from it by way of carrying it on. After due diligence, we simply move on from it. Upon the videos release, I too was dissatisfied and ultimately found it slightly disrespectful that a video filled with errors and misinformation and plentiful (and pointless) exaggeration got such a welcoming response, but after it has been analysed and an attempt to change one’s mind has ensued, what more can be done?

See, now this is a reasonable response.

I would be aghast to be told I was gatekeeping. At the end of the day, I just want what's best for the series. I think it's perfectly reasonable to suggest where things could be better. I think we're going around in circles with this (and not for the first time which is another reason why I don't respect SEPW; this video just keeps coming back like a bad smell), but ultimately i'd rather have a calm, reasonable constructive criticism of a video than a lowest common denominator catering to people's worst base emotions.

I think this is the last thing i'll say about this, because frankly I wish the video didn't exist, but if a percentage of people watched the video and thought "yeah, I was going to give this game a go, but now I don't want to play it. I'll take his opinion as gospel", then that's pretty sad. If people never wanted to play it in the first place, that's a different story.

I think it's human nature to want to defend something that is rather precious to us. Now, personally I think the series is a very strong position with the positive feedback from the anime and a shit ton of good will. So, when people in a position of power kinda shit on something with hyperbole, it's kinda painful to see. As someone said earlier, when someone shits on an EA or Ubisoft game, it doesn't really amount to much, but for something that is relatively fragile despite being in a strong position, the line between success and failure is razor thin. And I really don't want the series to go into obscurity again.

Could the game be better? Yeah, sure, but given the context, the limited budget and some frankly bizarre PR blunders that could've easily been avoided, it's a miracle the game turned out as good as it has.

Topics like this, whilst well meaning and interesting to debate is only as good as the people debating it. I will hold up any errors or mistakes or misunderstandings on my part, but sometimes it feels like a one-way street and it sure as hell can be frustrating at times when all the reasonable arguements in the world don't seem to cut through. When you're in the thick of it, it can be hard to see things from a reasonable angle.

By all means be a critical friend; we all want what's best, but once again - for me at least - it's not what is said, but *how* it's said. Today's debate has been pretty exhausting, it has to be said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back