Did Shenmue 3 hurt the series?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think it's gatekeeping to tell people to avoid things they're actively geared up not to enjoy. 🤷‍♂️

Even if it's something you used to like but don't anymore, it's healthier just to let it go.
You are not gatekeeping at all. Just voicing criticism of someone.... who is voicing criticism. Based on incorrect information and embellished points of view no less.

Half glass/half full kind of thing, however you see it. I think Shenmue 3 is a bit better than people say, but it's not the ideal reboot, and if we don't get a 4 we still get a decent HD remaster collection and an anime series

I don't think it's gatekeeping to tell people to avoid things they're actively geared up not to enjoy. 🤷‍♂️

Even if it's something you used to like but don't anymore, it's healthier just to let it go.
Telling someone they shouldn’t or that they aren’t allowed to do or try something I would define as gatekeeping to some extent.

The game (Shenmue IV) isn’t even released and so therefore it isn’t possible to know if they will like it, or not.

Regardless, like I said, it is still worth someone trying it out because it 1) helps the series by adding 1 more purchase and 2) can potentially remedy any issues made from Shenmue III, for that particular person.

You are not gatekeeping at all. Just voicing criticism of someone.... who is voicing criticism. Based on incorrect information and embellished points of view no less.
Telling someone not to play the game at all even if a singular entry in the series wasn’t “good enough” by their standards, of a game not even released yet, because of their criticisms of said singular entry.. I would define that as being gatekeeping to a certain extent.

People can change, their opinions can change. It does more harm than good literally telling someone they shouldn’t play the next instalment (because of their opinions of 1 out of 4 games).

He isn't gate keeping at all. He was suggesting. Offering an alternative. In no way controlling, or actively prohibiting anyone from making their own decisions about whether or not not play a game.

You have your interpretation. I will stick to definition. It's not gate keeping.

He isn't gate keeping at all. He was suggesting. Offering an alternative. In no way controlling, or actively prohibiting anyone from making their own decisions about whether or not not play a game.

You have your interpretation. I will stick to definition. It's not gate keeping.
I will concede that he suggested it, but it comes off as being gatekeeping.

A word used to describe when someone sets a standard/limit on what someone must do to call themselves a 'true fan' of something/someone.
This "definition" works pretty well here and here is a real-world example of the term being used as old as 2008:
The advice given by the council is sometime described as 'gatekeeping'.
Times, Sunday Times (2008)
Regardless of definitions and "interpretations", I don't think it's positive in any way to suggest someone not play a game over their opinions of an earlier entry, of an unreleased entry in the series.

I will also add that since I'm not a big anime fan, I had mixed feelings about the anime, mainly that I thought I would not enjoy it.. however after "giving it a go", I found that I liked it... so therefore, it is impossible to know whether someone will like something and I personally would never tell someone to not give something a go, just because of their opinions. Since "giving it a go", I'm glad I did, because I enjoy it :)

Clickbait isn't defined solely by a title. Content and relevancy is imperative.

Do you want to go through all definitions of what is clickbait?

(on the internet) content whose main purpose is to attract attention and encourage visitors to click on a link to a particular web page.

something (such as a headline) designed to make readers want to click on a hyperlink especially when the link leads to content of dubious value or interest

Clickbait is a sensationalized headline that encourages you to click a link to an article, image, or video. Instead of presenting objective facts, clickbait headlines often appeal to your emotions and curiosity. Once you click, the website hosting the link earns revenue from advertisers, but the actual content is usually of questionable quality and accuracy. Websites use clickbait to draw in as many clicks as possible, thus increasing their ad revenue.

Any content on the internet whose main and exclusive motive is to attract attention and encourage visitors to click on a link to a particular web page is known as Clickbait. It is a medium to entice users to read, view, and listen to a linked piece of online content. It is the only way for many organization’s to exploit the curiosity gap by using clickbait headlines. It leads to the content of dubious value or content. These are attention-grabbing headlines used for Web or mobile content to lure readers into clicking on normally uninteresting content.

This guy's life was not actually ruined by this game. It's a joke, an exaggeration of his disappointment after 20 years of waiting for continuation. It conveys severe dis-satisfaction with a humorous tone.

The content is in depth, relevant and accurate. It's not clickbait, man.

To understand what clickbait really is, you have to go beyond the surface level definition, otherwise EVERYTHING can be clickbait. What the title or link actually leads to is important in determining whether or not it's clickbait.

I spilled my coffee reading this. Thank you for such an informative and hilarious post.

Fucking gatekeepers stopping me from putting a fork in a plug socket.
I know you’re joking but obviously I mean in relation to their opinion.. that telling someone they shouldn’t or try something based on said opinion would come off as gatekeeping, even if it’s just a little bit :p

I just wanted to say that really. If someone loves Shenmue III, then i’d encourage them to play Shenmue IV.. and if they didn’t enjoy it, then i’d still encourage them to :)

Fucking gatekeepers stopping me from putting a fork in a plug socket.
Context is everything, in this situation it does kinda seem like gatekeeping to essentially say “if you don’t like one don’t play the others”.
While the point of forcing yourself to do something you know you won’t enjoy being masochistic is pretty true, there’s no real way to know that for this situation because the thing in question doesn’t exist. As the person has previously enjoyed Shenmue as a series, there’s no reason why they shouldn’t try again in the future if it comes about! Perhaps that would change their view on Shenmue 3 even, who knows! Opinions are just that and everyone’s differs, while the point is valid, so is using the term gatekeeping! Like I said, context is everything ^-^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back