Did you know? Shenmue Edition

Today's did you know: Did you know that when Shozo asks for a nice warm can of coffee, you can buy him a nice cold can of Fruda Grape (or anything else) instead? He has unique dialog both in the ensuing cutscene and in talking to him afterwards.

It's on the binary file for the game - you can't actually see it in game, unfortunately. It's almost as if it got cut from the final version but lives on in the binary file.

I think you can read it in a Shenmue I Cleared file, when reading the notebook with Shenmue Passport.

Did you know, in What's Shenmue the construction building perimeter barriers have
野口工務店 0468 (61) 5621 (Noguchi Koumuten) written on them which is a real construction company that was possibly a sponsor at one point in development like Timex, Hitachi, Coco-Cola, that seems to have been cut or changed for the full release as the official release has just white barriers.

The telephone number is unrecognised in the final release.

2018-08-07 20_08_15-What's Shenmue Demo (Complete Playthrough) - YouTube.png

Last edited:
Today's did you know: Did you know that when Shozo asks for a nice warm can of coffee, you can buy him a nice cold can of Fruda Grape (or anything else) instead? He has unique dialog both in the ensuing cutscene and in talking to him afterwards.
You monster.

Did you know that there are dialogue differences in Shenmue 2 between the DC and Xbox versions.

For example when Ryo is chasing Ren. In the DC version he shouts "I don't appreciate this". In the Xbox version he shouts "it's not funny"
There are lots of dialogue differences between the DC and Xbox versions, Some completely change and some are reworded to make the English sound better.

Slightly shameless plug time :p

Did you know that there's a character in Shenmue II who looks exactly like Man in Black Suit B from S1, but is apparently an entirely different character?
https://shenmusings.wordpress.com/2018/06/07/men-in-black-mix-up/

Did you know the Shenmue II guidebooks refer to a character who is completely missing in the final game?
https://shenmusings.wordpress.com/2...ahouse-lady-and-other-devious-guidebook-lies/

Also - @DigitalDuck - I assume you'll at some point post about the fact that you can bypass the Bad Ending in Shenmue II and get to August and beyond? :p Wanted to ask if you'd mind me doing a blog post about that little discovery, if you still have pic/vid evidence...

Also - @DigitalDuck - I assume you'll at some point post about the fact that you can bypass the Bad Ending in Shenmue II and get to August and beyond? :p Wanted to ask if you'd mind me doing a blog post about that little discovery, if you still have pic/vid evidence...

Of course - I still have a save file in 1988 (although that's not exactly proof as you could argue the save file could've been edited). I also can't really make full claim on the discovery - the main glitch was discovered by Fred Bronze as shown in the video below.

I was avoiding posting about it since it's pretty complex and I have to explain a couple of concepts first, but now you've mentioned it I kinda have to. :D So get ready for a Did You Know Megapost!

Did you know that if you open the map in Shenmue II while in a certain frame of the running animation, you can move while looking at the map? In this state, you can pass through event triggers, skipping cutscenes and some parts of the game.

Did you know that by doing the map glitch on stairs, in addition to passing through event triggers you can also clip through solid walls? The details of this are complex and vary depending on how you do the glitch.

Did you know that you can use the stair glitch to get into the Yellow Head Bldg. at any time while you're in Kowloon? Once you're in, the game assumes you got in there legitimately and updates the game state accordingly.

Did you know that you can use the stair glitch to get out of the Yellow Head Bldg. after entering it? You can't ask people about ways to make money, as that option is removed from your menu when you enter the Yellow Head Bldg. As a result, you can't work a part-time job, but you can still gamble and pawn stuff. You'll also never trigger the bad ending, as it's only triggered by choosing the Sleep option from your bed on or after July 31st.

Did you know that February 29th exists in the Shenmue universe?

Did you know that if you enter the Dou Niu room having glitched both into and out of Yellow Head Bldg., you'll go back in time? Starting from a new game it takes you to 0/0/00, but you can manipulate it by loading save files.

Did you know that if you continue playing through the game having gone back in time, the game will start to freak out after Rocky Area? Subtitles get corrupted, and more jumps in time occur whenever you choose to Wait, culminating in experiencing Cloud Bird Trail at night.

(video by Fred Bronze)

This video shows some of the things mentioned; not mentioned/shown:
- The bad ending is only triggered when you sleep; as such, without a curfew the bad ending never happens.
- 1988 is a leap year; I let the game run for a (very) long time and then beat the game so I could have a save file ending on February 29th 1988. (I also have a save on February 23rd 1988 just because it's exactly one year after the game starts.)
- The Dou Niu room doesn't always take you to 0/0/00; again, I have a save where it takes you to 1915 instead.
- Things get weird when you continue playing the game past Rocky Area.

I did a half-joke speedrun where I go back in time and then complete the game (the relevant stuff is 1:19:00-1:29:00 and 2:00:00 onwards):

As a final did you know, did you know that giant 0 shown in the video means October? Both September and October show this way, presumably there are no graphics to display them as they were never supposed to be reached. They appear normally in the save screen (although the year fails - it displays as "19 ").

That's eight Did You Knows down in one post; and that's why I'm holding back. :D

I'm going purely off memory with this one; Did you know the fortune teller at the beginning of Shenmue II sometimes tells Ryo that she is in love with him. She also gets jealous and warns Ryo about Joy.

I never figured out how to trigger this, I recall it happening on my first playthrough and never again.

Last edited:
Did you know Ryo once had a gig as a free agent football player in mid 2000s? Don't believe me? Check this out:
Ryo_Hazuki_ESPN_Stats.jpg

Ryo_ESPN_uniform.jpg

Ryo_ESPN_model.jpg

Wow I heard about that before but this is the first time I've actually seen evidence. Thought it might have been an urban myth this whole time. (y)

I'm going purely off memory with this one; Did you know the fortune teller at the beginning of Shenmue II sometimes tells Ryo that she is in love with him. She also gets jealous and warns Ryo about Joy.

I never figured out how to trigger this, I recall it happening on my first playthrough and never again.

It's a random chance. If you keep asking her for a reading she will eventually give you that reading. There are also a number of other "special" readings if you go to her in Green Market Qr. or Kowloon, where she expresses jealousy over the other women you meet on your journal.

Since I did a lot yesterday, I'll stick with one that most people know about today:

Did you know that if you fail to sneak into Old Warehouse No. 8 repeatedly, Shozo will help you by providing a map of the area, annotating guard patrol routes, and eventually telling you that entering in the early hours of the morning will make it easier to sneak in?

Did you know that Tom will literally dance home at around 11:40pm? The only time it is possible to witness this is while searching for sailors due to the curfew being removed for that event.

I never even thought about Tom having a home in Dobuita lol I guess I assumed he slept in his truck or something

Last edited:
What happens if you don't show up at You Arcade?

*sigh*

Did you know that when you're expecting to meet Jimmy in Game YOU, if you're not there by midday the game will force you there?

There, are you happy now? :D

Back