Did you know? Shenmue Edition

On a similar note, did you know there is an MJQ Jazz Bar in Virtua Fighter 5? Did you also know there is an unplayable arcade called Amusement Game You in Yakuza 0?
Beat me to it...

Did you know the voice actress for Fangmei is most well known for her role as Pikachu? It's most noticeable when she's screaming at Ryo for saying she looks like a cat...

Did you know that the harbor in Shenmue has 10 bollards to moore ships? And that one of them is tucked away behind the boxes behind the gate near the Mad Angels warehouse, so never visible but still there?

I did not know this, is it in a box or are the boxes stacked in front intentionally?
But on the theme of boats...

DID YOU KNOW ? Shenmue was almost not called Shenmue and was going to be ' Genpuuki ' [玄風記] (“Tale of the Mysterious Wind”)

Genpuuki was almost chosen, but at the very end of the development we realized it had some problems. The kanji were too difficult to read, and we weren’t sure it would appeal to a mass audience...
As for genpuuki, I still really loved it, so I asked Suzuki at the end whether it could stll be used somewhere, and he allowed me to use it as the name of the ship Ryo departs Japan with, the Genpuumaru [玄風丸]
http://shmuplations.com/shenmue/

And also DID YOU KNOW ?

Shenmue has over 8 variety of antenna

2018-08-11 22_04_48-DCM_JP_19990108_1999-02 (1).pdf - Adobe Reader.png

Did you know?...

"To make all animations look right, I made all my designers take lessons in martial arts. Because if they can't imagine what it looks like in real life, they won't be able to draw and model it into a game! And it's important not only for designers. We gathered all our workers at the office and created a real martial arts tournament. We gave a job to people who showed a good side to themselves, and others were left with paperwork. I myself went to China, to learn martial arts, and tried all these punches and kicks myself."

~ Yu Suzuki-sama

Did you know that in Virtua Fighter 4/5 there is a stage that contains the MIX Jazz bar

Beat me to it...

Did you know the voice actress for Fangmei is most well known for her role as Pikachu? It's most noticeable when she's screaming at Ryo for saying she looks like a cat...
WTF? Now this one got me good.

I did not know this, is it in a box or are the boxes stacked in front intentionally?

They are placed in front. You can only ever see it by going beyond the game's limits.

Aq3ryNr.jpg

Did you know that Ailian He, the Chun Li looking fortune teller can be visited not only at the Pier but also in Wan Chai and Kowloon?

Did you know that there are several special conversations you can have in the tiny amount of time you have after Ryo is fired from his job and before you meet Tom to learn the Tornado kick? You only have a short window of FREE play before the game forces you to meet Tom, so the only way to see them all is to save the night before and keep reloading your game to go to a different person each time. It's been a long time, so my memory is fuzzy, but I seem to recall:

-Nozomi thanking Ryo for her rescue from the Mad Angels, and Ryo promising to take her out on another motorcycle ride!
-Lapis Fortune Teller foreshadowing Ryo's journey to China, with an image of Shen Hua appearing in the crystal ball.
-You have BARELY enough time to get all the way back home from the harbor to have one last conversation with Ine-San where Ryo comes clean about his intentions to go after Lan Di and promises that he won't die.

There may have been more, since it is the last time you can wander freely in Shenmue I. But I just remember being so amazed that they bothered to put these conversations in seeing as you have to go so far out of your way to trigger them!

Did you know that there are several special conversations you can have in the tiny amount of time you have after Ryo is fired from his job and before you meet Tom to learn the Tornado kick? You only have a short window of FREE play before the game forces you to meet Tom, so the only way to see them all is to save the night before and keep reloading your game to go to a different person each time. It's been a long time, so my memory is fuzzy, but I seem to recall:

-Nozomi thanking Ryo for her rescue from the Mad Angels, and Ryo promising to take her out on another motorcycle ride!
-Lapis Fortune Teller foreshadowing Ryo's journey to China, with an image of Shen Hua appearing in the crystal ball.
-You have BARELY enough time to get all the way back home from the harbor to have one last conversation with Ine-San where Ryo comes clean about his intentions to go after Lan Di and promises that he won't die.

There may have been more, since it is the last time you can wander freely in Shenmue I. But I just remember being so amazed that they bothered to put these conversations in seeing as you have to go so far out of your way to trigger them!
This. THIS! Right here is soo Shenmue. One of a kind game. No other game in this medium has the attention to detail like Shenmue

But wait, there's more!

Did you know that you can call Nozomi on your last free day for some very, very special dialogue?
Did you know that you can spar with Fuku on your last free day?
Did you know that if you've looked after the kitten well enough to have Megumi adopt her, if you pass the shrine on your last free day you can hear the cat meowing... but the cat isn't there?

And since I didn't post yesterday, here's a bonus one:

Did you know that you can explore Old Warehouse No. 8 for as long as your flashlight battery lasts? The standard cutscene plays afterwards, only without Ryo dropping and breaking the plate.

And also DID YOU KNOW ?

Shenmue has over 8 variety of antenna

View attachment 396

Great post :astonished:

I remember reading about this in the UK Dreamcast Magazine before Shenmue was released.

I think there was a picture of a real TV antenna/areal and then one from Shenmue, and the author was asking if the reader could tell the difference. They both looked so real, and I remember thinking to myself, 'if they've spent so much on the details of the areal, what about the rest of the game'.

Looking at the 8 different varieties of antennas you show, they still look real today in 2018.

Did you know?...

"To make all animations look right, I made all my designers take lessons in martial arts. Because if they can't imagine what it looks like in real life, they won't be able to draw and model it into a game! And it's important not only for designers. We gathered all our workers at the office and created a real martial arts tournament. We gave a job to people who showed a good side to themselves, and others were left with paperwork. I myself went to China, to learn martial arts, and tried all these punches and kicks myself."

~ Yu Suzuki-sama
Reading the above I can only assume that whoever was responsible for the game's budget was really good at karate or something.

Did you know that when you're shopping for a ticket to Hong Kong, you can get a flier from both Global Travel Agency and Asia Travel Company?

Did you know that if you've looked after the kitten well enough to have Megumi adopt her, if you pass the shrine on your last free day you can hear the cat meowing... but the cat isn't there?

.... or is it??
The cat is on top of the red gate!

cant post images? is it just me or everyone getting
Oops! We ran into some problems.
A server error occurred. Please try again later.

I remember reading about this in the UK Dreamcast Magazine before Shenmue was released.

do you know which volume by chance?
there are some online scans but it would be nice to read it!!

Back