Did you know? Shenmue Edition

Probably most of you already knew these

Did you know that when teh game came out in Japan, people were calling the numbers and people got pissed

Did you know that Hiroshi Fujioka, the voice of Iwao, was also Segata Sanshiro and the original Kamen Rider.

Did you know that Masaya Matsukaze, the Japanese voice of Ryo, made his acting debut as the blueranger in Megaranger, the original version to Power Rangers in Space

Did you know that Nozomi's voice actress, Megumi Yasu, is a swimsuit model

Did you know that Suzuki actually liked the English dub

Here's a couple I never got round to sharing after my 100% notebook playthrough of Shenmue I last year.

Did you know, there is a hidden notebook entry at the end of Shenmue I?

The final notebook entry is:

"Master Chen gave me a letter of introduction for Tao Li Shao-san, a martial arts master who lives in Hong Kong."

This is impossible to view in game as you cannot open the notebook once you have said goodbye to Tom at the harbour.

Did you know, it is impossible to get every notebook entry in Shenmue I? There are some genuine blank spaces in the notebook, but there are also four variables where you have a choice of which entries you receive. The variables are: the tattoo parlor; Wang-san; Mai; the Hazuki Basement.

Did you know that the forklift race cannot go past six minutes in length? Mark Kimberly stops the race and gives you the Forklift #5 capsule toy.

Did you know that you still get Forklift No. 5 even if you block all other racers and are in first place after six minutes?

Did you know, there is a hidden notebook entry at the end of Shenmue I?

The final notebook entry is:

"Master Chen gave me a letter of introduction for Tao Li Shao-san, a martial arts master who lives in Hong Kong."

This is impossible to view in game as you cannot open the notebook once you have said goodbye to Tom at the harbour.

I didn't know this!

Today's did you know: Did you know that Goro can help you sneak into Warehouse No. 8? Attempt to enter, but don't go around the back of the warehouse afterwards - instead, go home and sleep. When you arrive the next day, you'll get a cutscene with Goro and he'll help you out in a way only Goro can.

Did you know that you still get Forklift No. 5 even if you block all other racers and are in first place after six minutes?

I didn't know this!

Today's did you know: Did you know that Goro can help you sneak into Warehouse No. 8? Attempt to enter, but don't go around the back of the warehouse afterwards - instead, go home and sleep. When you arrive the next day, you'll get a cutscene with Goro and he'll help you out in a way only Goro can.

I didn't know this either. This game is full of little pieces of footage we've all missed. Unreal!

Did you know in Shenmue 2 on disc 1 you can talk to Joy at workers pier and she directs the conversation to how she knows Master Chen and Guizhang.

Very neat that notebook entry, haven't seen that.

Did you know that the back part of the Dancing Dragon Bldg, where Duo Niu is hanging out, is offset by half a floor from the rest of the builiding?

It's on the binary file for the game - you can't actually see it in game, unfortunately. It's almost as if it got cut from the final version but lives on in the binary file.

This one was noticed by @iyapol: did you know that the newspaper on the counter at the Yu Arcade has a picture of (Former) Managing Director Yukawa, as seen in the What's Shemue demo game, on it?
Screenshot_20180806-0932312.png
Even better, the word next to him is "SENMU~" (meaning "Snr Managing Director" in Japanese), a play on the sounds of SHENMUE.

Did you know that the girls in Doubuita will wear Kimono's on New Year's Day?

DSl0MwEVMAEm24v.jpg

I can't wait to take some nice pictures of the different Kimonos :)

P.S. Sorry not sure if this was just the Japanese version.

Did you know that there are dialogue differences in Shenmue 2 between the DC and Xbox versions.

For example when Ryo is chasing Ren. In the DC version he shouts "I don't appreciate this". In the Xbox version he shouts "it's not funny"

Here’s one that most veterans would know but many new to the game perhaps wouldn’t... Did you know it’s possible to be Chai in the You Arcade.
I do, in a 2015 topic I boldly claimed I could it do it without being hit, a feat I attempted unsuccessfully and never proved. :p

This is my best effort, I take 3 hits in total, all of which are easily avoidable.

It's achieved by spamming demon drop repeatedly, I did something similar with mud-spider before but didn't find that as effective.

I'm almost sure with enough attempts I would have made good on my claim (honest! :eek:) but there's a long unskippable annoying cutscene ("Me? Work? For Lan Di-sama? Heeeggh... that's my dream!) that I couldn't bring myself to sit through more than a handful of times.

I'll definitely give it another try when I play through the re-release. (y)

I do, in a 2015 topic I boldly claimed I could it do it without being hit, a feat I attempted unsuccessfully and never proved. :p

This is my best effort, I take 3 hits in total, all of which are easily avoidable.

It's achieved by spamming demon drop repeatedly, I did something similar with mud-spider before but didn't find that as effective.

I'm almost sure with enough attempts I would have made good on my claim (honest! :eek:) but there's a long unskippable annoying cutscene ("Me? Work? For Lan Di-sama? Heeeggh... that's my dream!) that I couldn't bring myself to sit through more than a handful of times.

I'll definitely give it another try when I play through the re-release. (y)

I always found spamming crawl cyclone and trample kick worked well. They would have to be trained most of the way but they worked. Did you map Demon Drop to R and then use that to get him?

Did you know there are three separate occasions in which Fuku-san comes to Ryo's aid after the latter is injured? In chronological order: failing the QTE with Dick Phillips, the drunk sailor in Dobuita, resulting in Ryo being hit over the head with a bottle; failing either of the QTEs with the loudmouth schoolgirls outside Warehouse #17, resulting in Ryo receiving a pretty damn vicious beatdown (including numerous slashes from a razor blade); and, finally, getting battered by Chai in You Arcade.

Back