Discovering New Things? Small Details You've Noticed This Time Around?

Got two cutscenes that I've never had when I played Shenmue on Dreamcast...

After you return to Warehouse no. 8 to show Master Chen the Phoenix Mirror, the game doesn't make you go there again to progress the story. However, if you phone him for more two times, you can have the following scenes:

1) Guizhang will meet you and translate the "Stab Armor" scroll, which makes you master this move in question
2) If you collected the Mysterious Scroll that's located behind one of the signs in the Dojo, Guizhang can also translate it for you... and the conversation regarding this artifact is rather intriguing.

Guess these two cutscenes were pretty obvious for many members here, but they were real surprises for me.

Knew absolutely nothing about the duck races and upstairs in the pine arcade the first time around.

Funny I was going to find REN for the first time, and after a free battle, I got a map from one of the Heavens members.

I can’t stand Wong’s voice in English and as much as I loved Eric Kelso is Fuku-San, I don’t feel him as Ren. And in case you don’t want to backtrack posts, this is my first time playing Shenmue 2 in English.

I’ve been playing the Japanese version of Shenmuen II for nearly 17 years so I’m more used to it. I don’t feel Ren and Wong at all. Joy is ok and so is Xiuying. I’ve played the English version of Shenmue 1 only a handful of times. I’m glad I’ve finally had the chance to play the English version of Shenmue II after all these years because I was never interested in the X-Box (though my brother owns one along with Shenmue II).

1535842365076.png

Holy shit is that true? If so does anyone have a picture of the inside of the shop?

I’ve been playing the Japanese version of Shenmuen II for nearly 17 years so I’m more used to it. I don’t feel Ren and Wong at all. Joy is ok and so is Xiuying. I’ve played the English version of Shenmue 1 only a handful of times. I’m glad I’ve finally had the chance to play the English version of Shenmue II after all these years because I was never interested in the X-Box (though my brother owns one along with Shenmue II).

Weird, I'm the other way around. Played Shenmue II PAL version since 2001. When the Xbox version released, I found the most grating character to be Joy (who just seems to shout each line). There's also the photographer scene with Joy, where she gets her photo with Ryo and the photographer wants paying. As she prepares to speed off, there's a comment that's clearly meant to be either suggestive or menacing: "Come with me... I'll pay you."

This line is instead spoken completely straight as if no direction was given and Joy was about to take out her purse. Hard to explain in text, but always irritated me.

IIRC the VA for Joy and Xuiying is Lisle Wilkerson. I put issues like these down to direction more than the VA's skills as like Kelso she's clearly got quite a range.

View attachment 1051

Holy shit is that true? If so does anyone have a picture of the inside of the shop?
This passage isn't referring to Goro "Yo, bro!" Mihashi, but, rather, Goro Ono, the owner of Knocking Motorcycle Shop. You can't go inside the shop, but Ono-san will open the door from the inside and talk to Ryo on the street.

EDIT: Corrected Goro's surname. Got it confused with Megumi's.

Last edited:
There's a trashcan under the stairs of the bridge leading over King's Road into Wan Chai.
Bit of an odd place as you can't go there, though it's still somewhat on a sidewalk.

On Dragon Street, just before you walk the stairs into Thousand White Qr. there is a path to the right that leads you to a gambling place. Finished Shenmue 2 at least 6 times in my life and just noticed this playthrough caus I bought a map.Never knew that.

On Dragon Street, just before you walk the stairs into Thousand White Qr. there is a path to the right that leads you to a gambling place. Finished Shenmue 2 at least 6 times in my life and just noticed this playthrough caus I bought a map.Never knew that.

Wow.

That place actually has a stand where you can win a very special move scroll. Although, it’s extremely difficult to win. I’ve never managed to do it.

I spoke to Joy in the arcade and she started talking to me about Chen. Never had that conversation before. Also ran into guixang at night and she taught me a move.

Back