Discovering New Things? Small Details You've Noticed This Time Around?

I completely missed the large stake gambling places in fortunes pier, first time experiencing it.

I found that before the Yellow head building, if you don’t wait till the next day, you can get some really interesting conversations with vendors and pedestrians. Probably one of my favourites is in the stand quarter talking to a chef, and he gives Ryo a strange offer:

DAEF73B3-94E7-4451-8411-E0DD4A8D47AE.png

He also said that Ryo wouldn’t have to pay because he ‘liked the look in his eyes’. It’s just crazy how many conversations can go unnoticed in these games!

Just had an eye opener then, I rang Nozomi the day after the fight in Sakuragaoka Park and Ryo asks if Enoki has been bothering her since. Also I spoke to Nagashima and Enoki (the gang in Dobuita) about the sailors and they had some really interesting conversations about how they “gang up on you and beat the living crap out of you” and Enoki tells Ryo to “stop asking weird questions” and even laughs at Ryo if he keeps asking about sailors just replying saying “hah, sailors”.

I can’t believe all this detail there’s stuff I still missed like this!

Playing through Shenmue 2 HD the other day and I found a weird "Secret " passage way from one district to another, I think it was the WiseMan district to somewhere else and now I can't find it again... but it was cool just going through and saying "Neat I didn't know about this connection" and now I can't find it again.

Araviel: "I actually love the glitch where she disappears and all you get is the images and dialogue, it's very in-character."

I never had that happen to me...
Was that on the unpatched version of the HD Remaster?

I remember map glitching up to the top floor of the big ox building, totally bypassing the need to rescue Joy. She still appears in a white space with some dialogue, berating you for not hurrying to rescue Wong. Probably not super-interesting but still noteworthy, I think.

I was messing around in some of the fights in S1 and i realized that if you die like 5 or 6 times in a battle, the game eventually gives you infinite health. Very interesting.

I also didn't know about that!
I bet if you make the fight last for too long (after 11:30 p.m), Ryo'll eventually loose its health...
A good test would be the first (aside Enoki's and Nagashima's) F.R.E.E battle, in the vacant-lot (the ambush).

I remember map glitching up to the top floor of the big ox building, totally bypassing the need to rescue Joy. She still appears in a white space with some dialogue, berating you for not hurrying to rescue Wong. Probably not super-interesting but still noteworthy, I think.

Exactly where did you do the map-glitch at? (at which flight-of-stairs).

Exactly where did you do the map-glitch at? (at which flight-of-stairs).

2F, start from very top of stairs, turn 180 degrees clockwise.
3F->4F, start about 3/4 of the way up, turn 150 degrees anti-clockwise (hereafter: "standard").
5F->6F, from the plaza area do a map glitch (not a stair glitch) up the stairs.
8F->9F, standard
11F->12F, standard
13F->14F, standard
15F->16F, standard
16F->17F, standard
17F->18F, standard
When you're on 19F run to the staircase next to the bunch of lifts and just follow it all the way to 40F.

You can start at any time, but bear in mind you'll have to do pretty much the whole of the Yellow Head Bldg. up to the point that you want to start trying. So if you only want to do the 17F->18F one, you play until you can travel between 17F and 18F (you'll probably want to find the watchman's room first so you don't have a time pressure), and then use any staircase that lets you travel between 17F and 18F to do the stair glitch.

Just watch a speedrun to see it; this is an old run of A1major's, but it's the best one I could find on YouTube:

It would be very interesting to know how the community found out these map-glitches. It's a science in itself.:ROFLMAO:

It would be very interesting to know how the community found out these map-glitches. It's a science in itself.:ROFLMAO:
I'm guessing random chance and unimaginable persistence. I doubt someone would do a technical analysis of a game to find them (even though it has been done before). The speedrunning community, not exclusive to Shenmue, is rather obsessed with finding all kinds of ways to finish a game as fast as possible by using shortcuts or glitches. These are the so called "Speedrun Any %", which do not establish rules that you must complete the game as originally intended, glitches are allowed as long as they are part of the original game with no outside interference or modding. A few other games I've watched being glitched in the past happened because someone asked a simple question "if this barrier didn't exist, we could skip almost half the game, how do we go about glitching it?"

Last edited:
For me, this most recent time through Shenmue II (this was just before the HD remasters came out when I recieved my GD EMU replacement for the Dreamcast), it was a random conversation with Joy in the arcade where she mentions that she knows Master Chen and his son.. Never had that exchange once in any of the times I played it on Dreamcast before...but to be fair, I never really spent much time at the Arcade in Shenmue II. I was always more of a Lucky Hit guy.

Kind of blew my mind and made me look at Joy in a new light.

Back