Do you think the Demo will be divisive?

高野和泉

"SAKURA FESTIVAL!"
1.) Locked behind 100$ tiers
2.) Not all fans will have access to it.
3.) Majority of gaming press won't get to sample it(Unless they personally back that tier)
4.) Only playable game-play sample till release date meaning general public will use this as a launching pad to criticize the project most likely...

On another note~
Will e3 have a diff demo or maybe a general release demo? Or if Suzuki uses this demo (to cut back on resources/money) to market S3 at trade shows will backers feel irked/betrayed?:unsure:

I think they use the Trial in a similar fashion that the Bloodstained people did, same Trial for backers and shows, it does make sense, and a as backer over that tier to have the posibility to play at home is enough for me. Also is not the same a Demo than a Trial, the Trial is more permisive with possible bugs, problems and in development stuff.

I feel like feedback from the hardcore fans is what's important, so i'm fine with it being locked to the $100+ tiers.

My laptop probably won't even play it lol. I will have to borrow a friends gaming PC and as a result ask what he thinks too. He's into story based games so I am hoping he might like it.

1.) I don't think that will be a issue, but I also think some people might leak/pirate it out.
2.) Again since this is no suprise I don't see this being a issue.
3.) I think a few might but yeah those would be already standing fans.
4.) It really depends on how it plays which we can't really say till we get hands on with it.

I think if backers get the demo and then a few months later they use the demo at trade/shows or public release I don't think backers will have a problem. It might be a issue if they do it all at once and a bigger problem if they show it off at trade shows with deepsilver first and backers don't get it for a good while after.

That being said I have no clue what to expect from this game till I get to play it.

1.) Locked behind 100$ tiers
2.) Not all fans will have access to it.
3.) Majority of gaming press won't get to sample it(Unless they personally back that tier)
4.) Only playable game-play sample till release date meaning general public will use this as a launching pad to criticize the project most likely...

On another note~
Will e3 have a diff demo or maybe a general release demo? Or if Suzuki uses this demo (to cut back on resources/money) to market S3 at trade shows will backers feel irked/betrayed?:unsure:

I don't mind that not all fans will have access to this demo. I only recently bumped up my level of support to get the trial version, but I was really more interested in the name in the credits part of the tier. If Suzuki wanted to use the demo for trade shows to show off Shenmue III, I don't feel like the community would have an issue with that, but I feel if the trial version that some of us paid money to be part of was given to the general public, I feel like that would be a cop out on a number of levels.

1: Those who paid for the trial version will be unhappy that something that was suppposed to be special for them will be just given out to the general public and...
2: The Trial version might not be the best demo of the final version of the game. If a demo is something they are considering to get more outside fans to try the game, make the demo based on the final version of the game, not an alpha/beta build like the trial version

To be honest, as much as I want to see the third game after all these years, and as much as I try to limit my expectations, and despite my major fan crush on the series after over 10 years, looking at what I've seen so far..

Aside from the environments which look beautiful and stunning, the rest looks dreadful, particularly the models, which PS2 models put to shame, and the lack of any kind of playable or visible demo, or any prolonged video of anything other than someone jabbering over models in an editor or chatting about something we'd rather see, I think this is going to be a massive disappointment, and people should start lowering their expectations or they'll be shocked, because what I've seen so far is nothing but talking about something being cool but nothing to back up any of the jabbering.

I hope to be wrong about this, but.. I'm skeptical that something great is going to come out of this thing. I mean, the models alone looked so dreadful it instantly made me reconsider whether I'd even play it, and I'm a big Shenmue fan!

I don't think any game can live up to 18 years of waiting and speculation so...
We'll just have to wait and see for the time being, Yu Suzuki has surprised people in the past with what he's been able to pull off so if anybody can successfully achieve the herculean accomplishment of making a game that lives up to expectations after more than 15+ years of waiting, I'd say Suzuki-san has the best chance of pulling it off.

Now for the main topic, personally I don't think the demo/trial will be very divisive because by that point the game will be at around 97% - 100% complete so we'll almost certainly be seeing the final product or very close to it in the demo/trial when it comes out, the only thing that I think that would be divisive is whether backers will get first access or not, if backers get the demo on the same day as regular gamers I can see some backers being a bit miffed about not being able to experience the game before everyone else (personally I don't care either way but I felt the need to mention this because of it's high possibility).

Of course it will be divisive. There will be people counting the blades of grass to check it's sufficient in comparison to modern AAA games or moaning that the brick textures aren't good enough.
I for one cannot wait to read multiple derailed threads with the same comments repeated over and over again about how the mites in Ryo's eyelashes have been poorly animated.
That's some impressive preemptive damage control with a pinch of strawman-ing.
I'm hoping people wouldn't be afraid to be critical when the demo releases and actually provide feedback. Instead of the "be grateful we're getting a game and not a comic" shit that gets thrown around.

Truthfully I prefer no demo at all. I don't think Shenmue is the type of game that does well with demos.

I'd rather just jump into the full game and start my journey out of the cave and beyond.

That's some impressive preemptive damage control with a pinch of strawman-ing.
I'm hoping people wouldn't be afraid to be critical when the demo releases and actually provide feedback. Instead of the "be grateful we're getting a game and not a comic" shit that gets thrown around.

Links to that kind of statement? Or are you indulging in a strawman argument yourself?

I hope people will provide feedback for gameplay and technical issues. But whether or not they like how a particularly character looks and other art direction matters... who really cares what the consumer thinks? I backed Yu Suzuki's vision, not the random and contradictory peculiarities of the fans' tastes.

Links to that kind of statement? Or are you indulging in a strawman argument yourself?

I hope people will provide feedback for gameplay and technical issues. But whether or not they like how a particularly character looks and other art direction matters... who really cares what the consumer thinks? I backed Yu Suzuki's vision, not the random and contradictory peculiarities of the fans' tastes.
I'm surprised you haven't come across that kinda of statement, it is pretty common in every Shenmue community the past three years, In fact I came across it in one form yesterday: https://www.shenmuedojo.com/forum/index.php?threads/why-im-optimistic-shenmues-future.515/

"Who cares what the consumer thinks" YsNET does, or do you think the demo's only purpose is to fix bugs and balance issues? Look at Bloodstained and what kind of feedback the developers have extracted from it's demo, now they're redoing the lighting of the levels since people noted the backgrounds are bland. Do you think Iga's vision was compromised then?

Feedback won't twist Yu Suzuki's arm to change his vision, it will offer him enough data on what the fans liked and disliked, and he can decides what to take and what to leave.

Last edited:

Thank you! Well said.

Back