Do you think the Demo will be divisive?

Truthfully I prefer no demo at all. I don't think Shenmue is the type of game that does well with demos.

I'd rather just jump into the full game and start my journey out of the cave and beyond.

I get the last part, particularly after waiting so long, but I disagree that doesn't do well with demos: "What's Shenmue?" was pretty cool! A mini-quest not in the full game, hints at both stuff cut from the betas *and* materials that would show up later in Shenmue II... I loved it, and would be pretty thrilled if III does the same.

This is Shenmue we are talking about, so anything will be divisive. Personally it'd be awesome if it was done in "What's Shenmue?" fashion and it was a physical copy like the orginals (not happening), otherwise I'm more interested on the forum's posts about how Ryo's eyelashes don't have the gritty realism of the previous games than playing it the demo.

It shouldn't be too divisive so long as people are reasonable... so yeah it will be extremely divisive. Some people will overly criticize it despite it not being the final build. Some people will blindly defend it despite glaring flaws. Round and round we go...

I'm sure it will divide opinion, yeah.

What I'd love to see is a really quick demonstration of how QTE'S, the FREE battle system and investigation/exploration works in-game.

In my head I imagined Ryo getting off the boat in Baisha (with his green bag in hand) and bumping into Yu Suzuki, who's also getting off the boat (and conveniently also has a green bag similar to Ryo's). They collide into one another and Ryo's like 'You are!' which sends Yu into a panic and he hurriedly grabs Ryo's bag (mistaking it for his own) and runs off. Ryo realises this shortly after Yu has gone and this leads to a FREE quest where he enquiries about a 'strange man' he eventually finds Yu, cue QTE scene. Ryo finally tracks him down and Yu decides to fight (he has a similar style to Chai) midway through the battle Yu says 'I'm sick of these fanboys stalking me!' and Ryo explains that he just wants his bag, the fight stops and Yu is relieved. We're giving a brief speech on what to expect in Shenmue 3 before Yu departs.

What if the "demo" was the missing chapter, Chapter 2? IIRC, the chapter was nixed partly because it was short and didn't offer a ton of story progression, which would be perfect for a demo! A little hint and tutorial of how Shenmue III looks and plays, plus filling in that bit of story that we only ever got to see in comic form.

What if the "demo" was the missing chapter, Chapter 2? IIRC, the chapter was nixed partly because it was short and didn't offer a ton of story progression, which would be perfect for a demo! A little hint and tutorial of how Shenmue III looks and plays, plus filling in that bit of story that we only ever got to see in comic form.
It could also been the trip between Hong Kong to Gui Ling.
The missing train scene.
I would love if the demo was missing content that is not in Shenmue III...
It would be a collector item like What's Shenmue.

It could also been the trip between Hong Kong to Gui Ling.
The missing train scene.
I would love if the demo was missing content that is not in Shenmue III...
It would be a collector item like What's Shenmue.

That'd be awesome! "What's Shenmue?" was good, but these could be even better. Now I'm starting to get hyped for demos that probably won't happen. :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Ren
So we can have demos that are canon and part of the story? That would sound nice but I don’t want to make Shenmue as convoluted as Kingdom Hearts

So we can have demos that are canon and part of the story? That would sound nice but I don’t want to make Shenmue as convoluted as Kingdom Hearts
Well I would like if Sega would exploit shenmue... and make multiple games like they did with Yakuza.
5 shenmue games, Iwao in the 70's in China, Tom adventure in America selling hot dogs ,Fukusan focused game, etc etc etc

Well I would like if Sega would exploit shenmue... and make multiple games like they did with Yakuza.
5 shenmue games, Iwao in the 70's in China, Tom adventure in America selling hot dogs ,Fukusan focused game, etc etc etc
But I don’t want it overmilked like FF7 was

About the demo, I dont actually see it happening for some reason lol just got a feeling. I'd rather they didnt waste time on that at all tbh (sorry backers lol)

If it does I cant see it staying exclusive to backers for long. I expect it on torrent sites pretty quick. And depending how they do it people may unlock more stuff from it too.

About the demo, I dont actually see it happening for some reason lol just got a feeling. I'd rather they didnt waste time on that at all tbh (sorry backers lol)

If it does I cant see it staying exclusive to backers for long. I expect it on torrent sites pretty quick. And depending how they do it people may unlock more stuff from it too.

I see no negatives here.

I see no negatives here.

Agreed. I want the demo to be great, and I don't want to be backer exclusive (and I put my fair share of cash into the game!). I'm all for YsNet passing it all about.

Maybe give a period of exclusivity for the backers who don't care for the idea, split the difference or something, but for my money, I want everyone interested to have a chance to play it.

I'd say it's highly unlikely they'll spend time creating assets like the boat to Hong Kong for the sake of a trial that only a few players will officially get to see. That would not be a responsible use of their limited resources.

Back