Do you think the Demo will be divisive?

I'm surprised you haven't come across that kinda of statement, it is pretty common in every Shenmue community the past three years, In fact I came across it in one form yesterday: https://www.shenmuedojo.com/forum/index.php?threads/why-im-optimistic-shenmues-future.515/

"Who cares what the consumer thinks" YsNET does, or do you think the demo's only purpose is to fix bugs and balance issues? Look at Bloodstained and what kind of feedback the developers have extracted from it's demo, now they're redoing the lighting of the levels since people noted the backgrounds are bland. Do you think Iga's vision was compromised then?

Feedback won't twist Yu Suzuki's arm to change his vision, it will offer him enough data on what the fans liked and disliked, and he can decides what to take and what to leave.

Constructive feedback is great. It's the destructive and nitpicking feedback I'm not such a big fan of.

That's some impressive preemptive damage control with a pinch of strawman-ing.
I'm hoping people wouldn't be afraid to be critical when the demo releases and actually provide feedback. Instead of the "be grateful we're getting a game and not a comic" shit that gets thrown around.

If the demo is half-baked with legitimate issues which dampen the experience, of course, report these. This forum is not against criticism otherwise a thread dedicated to constructively reporting bugs in Shenmue 1 & 2 (i.e. issues that actually matter) would not be here. I myself have reported issues with this collection to Sega.

I'm referring to the 'Sonic Green Eyes' degrees of nitpicking and gross overstatements which are inconsequential to the overall enjoyment of the game. Some of my favourites from both here and the previous Dojo include: "One smile not to my liking will betray me", "The diameter of Ryo's pupils are wrong and lie about his youth", "Ryo's jeans are too tight", "Why is India of all places making the character models?" and "These are clearly Sega Saturn graphics".

If people can laugh about how this
Shenmue3-1.jpg
Looks like this
maxresdefault.jpg
Then I can laugh about how ridiculous they sound. Freedom of speech works both ways.

If the demo is half-baked with legitimate issues which dampen the experience, of course, report these. This forum is not against criticism otherwise a thread dedicated to constructively reporting bugs in Shenmue 1 & 2 (i.e. issues that actually matter) would not be here. I myself have reported issues with this collection to Sega.

I'm referring to the 'Sonic Green Eyes' degrees of nitpicking and gross overstatements which are inconsequential to the overall enjoyment of the game. Some of my favourites from both here and the previous Dojo include: "One smile not to my liking will betray me", "The diameter of Ryo's pupils are wrong and lie about his youth", "Ryo's jeans are too tight", "Why is India of all places making the character models?" and "These are clearly Sega Saturn graphics".

If people can laugh about how this Looks like this Then I can laugh about how ridiculous they sound. Freedom of speech works both ways.
The vast majority of the complaints are valid, though, and not as ridiculous as your examples.
Stuff like lackluster 3D models, janky animations, and non-existent facial animations are the most common complaints that gets thrown around here.

The vast majority of the complaints are valid, though, and not as ridiculous as your examples.
Stuff like lackluster 3D models, janky animations, and non-existent facial animations are the most common complaints that gets thrown around here.

I never said complaints weren't valid. And as can be inferred from my posts, one of which encourages criticism, I'm not going after complaints in general. I was originally poking fun at how ridiculous some of the nitpicks I have heard actually are and to the extent which I have personally seen them crop up both here and on the past Dojo. The fact others are mentioning how much they dislike the nitpicking demonstrates it exists.

I’d like a demo where you have to save Yu Suzuki (just like how you had to save Kojima in MGSV) or Cedric Biscay, like how you had to save Yukawa. I’d like a QTE chase or something.

I’d like a demo where you have to save Yu Suzuki (just like how you had to save Kojima in MGSV) or Cedric Biscay, like how you had to save Yukawa. I’d like a QTE chase or something.

That would be pretty cool!

Maybe even insert a joke concerning Shenmue 3's development time: Suzuki was kidnapped by the Chi You Men so he couldn't work on Shenmue 3 all this time. :giggle:

I never said complaints weren't valid. And as can be inferred from my posts, one of which encourages criticism, I'm not going after complaints in general. I was originally poking fun at how ridiculous some of the nitpicks I have heard actually are and to the extent which I have personally seen them crop up both here and on the past Dojo. The fact others are mentioning how much they dislike the nitpicking demonstrates it exists.
What I took from your original reply is that those ridiculous complaints are the common ones that gets thrown around a lot.
I for one cannot wait to read multiple derailed threads with the same comments repeated over and over again about how the mites in Ryo's eyelashes have been poorly animated.
When in fact they are the tiny minority.

It would be pretty disingenuous to try and paint the two types of complaints by the same brush, but seeing how you explained that you didn't intend to do that, then it's cool.

Well, some fans are still heckling him about the models over on Twitter recently.

Hope it doesn't dampen his spirit. :censored:
Yu Suzuki is so close to achieving his vision so I don't think his spirits will be dampened too much (he's probably a little sad about the heckling but unfortunately that's how the internet can be sad as it is, I'm just glad we have something new to hold us over and a release date announced so there is some good coming from all this).

"Who cares what the consumer thinks" YsNET does, or do you think the demo's only purpose is to fix bugs and balance issues? Look at Bloodstained and what kind of feedback the developers have extracted from it's demo, now they're redoing the lighting of the levels since people noted the backgrounds are bland. Do you think Iga's vision was compromised then?

Feedback won't twist Yu Suzuki's arm to change his vision, it will offer him enough data on what the fans liked and disliked, and he can decides what to take and what to leave.

Personally, I think that's exactly what the demo's only purpose should be. As for Bloodstained, I don't think it's in the same category (aside from being crowdfunded projects). I don't think Iga really has a strong vision in the same sense as Yu Suzuki's vision for Shenmue, mainly because Bloodstained is a "spiritual successor" to Castlevania, which was only partially based on original characters to begin with.

I have no doubt that backers will provide lots of feedback on art direction. There will be detailed breakdowns and images of what each person thinks the sclera of each character's eyes should look like, numerous Photoshop images (because anyone who occasionally messes around in Photoshop is an authoritative expert in all matters of design), and so on. Each person who offers their critique will be convinced that they speak for the "vast majority." And YsNet will graciously thank everyone for their feedback, and move forward with their own vision.

What I took from your original reply is that those ridiculous complaints are the common ones that gets thrown around a lot.

When in fact they are the tiny minority.

I've seen enough of them that I think they're fairly common, and judging by the responses of others, I see a lot feel the same way too. However you or I measure or define these ridiculous complaints is subjective I guess. For the past year whenever I log into this forum and the previous Dojo, usually the first thing I see is how almost every update that is put out is a cause for offence with repeated comments about some trivial issue that its exhausting for people like myself and others to read.

seeing how you explained that you didn't intend to do that, then it's cool.

Cool, let's drop it please.

That is is they ever release the demo.. Been 3 years and no simple demo yet.
Would like a Demo like What's shenmue atleast by now.

That is is they ever release the demo.. Been 3 years and no simple demo yet.
Would like a Demo like What's shenmue atleast by now.

I believe what’s shenmue was released 6 months before the first game was released in Japan. I’m anticipating by next spring we’ll get a demo

I just hope that people recognise that even a AAA 'GoTY contender' like Red Dead Redemption 2 can have a divisive demo and that it's just the nature of a series like Shenmue. So hppefully nobody condemns it for silly reasons.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...-red-dead-redemption-2-demo-put-them-to-sleep

As one commentator notes regarding Red Dead Redemption 2:

"Honestly sounds like RDR2 doesn't make for a great demo, no surprise as I feel like living in the world and taking in the atmosphere of the game can't be accomplished in a 20 minute demo.The fact that there are super slow paced moments sounds pretty great to me."

I believe what’s shenmue was released 6 months before the first game was released in Japan. I’m anticipating by next spring we’ll get a demo
They do have demo but not sharing it with us. As well is kind of different since back then their only option would be to release physical copy instead of online download which is easier now.

Last edited:
I remember a report from about five years back on how demos could potentially have a negative effect on video game sales.

Though it was concluded it may be a case of correlation not implying causation.

Either way I'm personally not arsed about the demo, Kickstarter reward or not. I don't even wanna see or hear another thing about Shenmue III til a few months after it's released. But that's obviously not gonna happen when I'm on here at least five times a week.

I also doubt I will play the demo (or maybe I'm kidding myself, since I'm here almost daily and I won't be able to help myself). I don't play demos anymore. I can't really be arsed with them. I also backed Bloodstained, but I haven't played any of its demos.

a demo would been great. It doesn't have to include fight scenes but just be like what's is shenmue. Where we can explore one of the game cities. Walk around and talk to NPC as well as some QTE.

They do have demo but not sharing it with us. As well is kind of different since back then their only option would be to release physical copy instead of online download which is easier now.

Considering the campaign is now closing and that they now have a final and definitive budget, I’m sure they’re working on it to get out by early next year. I’m sure they’re still testing out some stuff first

Back