[E3 2019 Speculation, Rumour, & Discussion Thread]

If they do show something big and Shenmue-related on June 3rd, it would be a nice nod to the fans with the Tweetathons every third of the month. Given that this game is "for the fans, by the fans", this would seem to make some sense.

If they do show something big and Shenmue-related on June 3rd, it would be a nice nod to the fans with the Tweetathons every third of the month. Given that this game is "for the fans, by the fans", this would seem to make some sense.

Indeed, full circle...

I don't have any insider info so be taking it that way, but I just have a negative feeling about E3. Yes, journalists will be getting hands on previews and that would mean also that Yu Suzuki will be in LA for the event. I'm sure that will also lead to some very insightful articles on the game.

But in terms of new public footage, I just feel a bit pessimistic and feel there wont be anything new shown. I hope I am wrong by the way! So much. But I cant help how I feel.

If nothing new is shown, either the game is delayed/in a sorry state or they're just sending it to die. Starting from E3, 2 months will be left from release. That's already really tight for marketing. But that's still a nice window. After that, there's nothing to be done. I suspect Deep Silver wanted to keep their cards close to their chest until E3, hence why Yu Suzuki had troubles to get fighting segments in the trailer.

So - an additional detail I left out was that press wouldn't be able to record their gameplay session, which is actually pretty normal but I didn't want the thread to start freaking out this early.

To me, that says Deep Silver plan to have control over the gameplay reveal, as opposed to video capture from some Gamefarts dot com journo running around in circles colouring impressions of the game. There are lots of ways this could happen, so I won't try and predict what the likely outcome is. Would be neat if the game showed up somewhere like the YouTube Gaming livestream, though.

Maybe they plan to release a gameplay video.

If nothing new is shown, either the game is delayed/in a sorry state or they're just sending it to die. Starting from E3, 2 months will be left from release. That's already really tight for marketing. But that's still a nice window. After that, there's nothing to be done. I suspect Deep Silver wanted to keep their cards close to their chest until E3, hence why Yu Suzuki had troubles to get fighting segments in the trailer.
I know it would be very weird if there was nothing public-facing coming from E3 (which is why it's so unlikely), but you don't put your game in the hands of people who's job it is to criticise it if you're hiding something or sending it to die. There's no logic in that train of thought... and it doesn't match up with the hands-off previews just a few months ago either. Why bother with any of it?

There's a desire to cultivate a strong word of mouth, and you just wouldn't do that if you think the game would get trashed or you just plan to leave it by the wayside. Why Deep Silver would do that to arguably the biggest game left on their announced roster for the year is beyond me, and makes even less sense knowing they'd obviously want to recoup as much as possible on their investment even in the event of failure.

We're also not in as tight a marketing window as you might think either. Many games have the heat turned up on promotion in the final month/month and a half, the rest are just intense bursts you get along the way (unveiling, trailers, previews, feature reveals, pre-order push, etc). Shenmue III has been admittedly different in some respects (we did have the EDGE cover story and following previews), but there's plenty of time to pack a lot of the remaining marketing in provided they start going hard relatively soon.

I'm going into E3 pretty hopeful of what we might see, because the alternative is just so... stupid, y'know? Deep Silver have been professionals operating in the video game space for a long time, I just don't see them taking leave of their senses and dropping the ball at a fantastically opportune time to promote the game.

I roll my eyes at a lot of the "WHY AREN'T THEY SHOWING ANYTHING RIGHT NOW?!?!?!" posts online, because it's a display of impatience if they can't just wait and see what happens at the biggest gaming show on Earth; which Shenmue III is confirmed to be at. Not everything has to be foreshadowed and built up to either, though god knows we love trying to read the tea leaves around here. Sometimes it just happens and comes out of nowhere, and I think that's basically what will happen with Shenmue III's promotion at E3. Screens, video, a press release, whatever, will just drop; and we'll be scrambling to view, analyse, and discuss.

Maybe they plan to release a gameplay video.
Honestly I think this is the case in one way or another. I can't conceive our next look not having gameplay in some format.

I think they will only show the demo as we've been asking to see more gameplay for awhile now. A 30 minute demo video? That's great to hear. A new trailer would be great too but I guess we'll have to wait and see.

That same Spanish site that reported The Last of Us 2 to be shown this week is now reporting that Sony are mere hours away from announcing a State of Play for May 30th.

I'll believe it when I see the announcement personally.

Even then; if there is a State of Play this week. With all the talk of COD and The Last of Us 2 showing up this week; I have to wonder if Shenmue III would even show up in such a show? Or would Sony leave it for the big AAA hitters?

Expectations for E3? I think an English language trailer has to show up somewhere during this years show. Where? I have no clue whether it will be in a State of Play, a presser like the PC show or what...but I got to believe an English language trailer shows up during E3.

As far as gameplay? Maybe some off screen footage or maybe it shows up on a live stream somewhere...but I expect it will mostly be impressions and nothing more.

But a trailer has to show up during E3...otherwise what are they waiting for?

Last edited:
That same Spanish site that reported The Last of Us 2 to be shown this week is now reporting that Sony are mere hours away from announcing a State of Play for May 30th.

I'll believe it when I see the announcement personally.
That came up a little earlier in the thread, but it's looking more and more like bollocks by the hour. There's still time for it to potentially come true, but one of the editors or lead writers for the site have been preemptively doing something that feels a bit like damage control.

Then again... it's rightly been asked on ERA why staff members with Sony connections haven't closed the thread already...

Even then; if there is a State of Play this week. With all the talk of COD and The Last of Us 2 showing up this week; I have to wonder if Shenmue III would even show up in such a show? Or would Sony leave it for the big AAA hitters?

I doubt it. Again, I would love to be wrong but E3 2015 and the Gamescom 2016 trailer are the only 2 involvements Sony have had during this entire 4 year process. I have to base my expectations on that.

Rest assured, I feel I would have a duty and responsibility to speak up on a louder level, if we reached a certain point in the coming weeks where there was still no peep of promotion or hype on the part of Deep Silver. Id say there's a limit to even the most rational fan can remain patient, before decisions can appear to be damaging to the series.

A fully rounded SoP, much like a fully rounded E3 conference really, should try to include games of all budget levels IMO. AAA games can be quite samey in execution, and something Sony was criticised for last year was a really one-note press conference. Showing a broad platform is probably better overall than just "we're Johnny Big Bollocks with all the most expensive games".

IF they do a SoP, and IF it's just AAA games they've basically repeated the same mistake from last year, just in a different package.

I wish anyone would do a livestream when the demo will revealed like in Monaco or filmed with a hidden camera and shared to reddit. But i think this will not happen.

I wish anyone would do a livestream when the demo will revealed like in Monaco or filmed with a hidden camera and shared to reddit. But i think this will not happen.
It definitely won't, unless whoever does it wants their press credentials revoked.

There was enough drama when a guy did an audio recording of of the Cyberpunk demo from last year. Many journalists will do audio recordings of hands-off demos for their own use when doing write ups after the fact, but the guy who leaked the audio said "well you didn't say that I couldn't do this..." as their excuse despite being in the industry for years and years. They knew it was an unwritten rule made as a courtesy between devs and the media, but leaked it anyway.

Anyway, I'm getting off topic. It won't be a Monaco situation. Journalists will be brought in to the meeting room at their appointment time, and sat down to play the half hour demo in batches/one after another. There's no way anybody could get away with just whipping their phone out and putting it on Periscope.

I know it would be very weird if there was nothing public-facing coming from E3 (which is why it's so unlikely), but you don't put your game in the hands of people who's job it is to criticise it if you're hiding something or sending it to die. There's no logic in that train of thought... and it doesn't match up with the hands-off previews just a few months ago either. Why bother with any of it?

There's a desire to cultivate a strong word of mouth, and you just wouldn't do that if you think the game would get trashed or you just plan to leave it by the wayside. Why Deep Silver would do that to arguably the biggest game left on their announced roster for the year is beyond me, and makes even less sense knowing they'd obviously want to recoup as much as possible on their investment even in the event of failure.

We're also not in as tight a marketing window as you might think either. Many games have the heat turned up on promotion in the final month/month and a half, the rest are just intense bursts you get along the way (unveiling, trailers, previews, feature reveals, pre-order push, etc). Shenmue III has been admittedly different in some respects (we did have the EDGE cover story and following previews), but there's plenty of time to pack a lot of the remaining marketing in provided they start going hard relatively soon.

I'm going into E3 pretty hopeful of what we might see, because the alternative is just so... stupid, y'know? Deep Silver have been professionals operating in the video game space for a long time, I just don't see them taking leave of their senses and dropping the ball at a fantastically opportune time to promote the game.

I roll my eyes at a lot of the "WHY AREN'T THEY SHOWING ANYTHING RIGHT NOW?!?!?!" posts online, because it's a display of impatience if they can't just wait and see what happens at the biggest gaming show on Earth; which Shenmue III is confirmed to be at. Not everything has to be foreshadowed and built up to either, though god knows we love trying to read the tea leaves around here. Sometimes it just happens and comes out of nowhere, and I think that's basically what will happen with Shenmue III's promotion at E3. Screens, video, a press release, whatever, will just drop; and we'll be scrambling to view, analyse, and discuss.

Honestly I think this is the case in one way or another. I can't conceive our next look not having gameplay in some format.

Hence why I'm really doubtful we're not seeing anything. As for Shenmue III, yes I agree, some games marketing start a month before. But I also feel like Shenmue III is an amazing exception here. We saw nearly nothing of the game. We never saw an actual gameplay video 3 months before release. In a sense, I'm happy to have the surprise intact. But then again, it's an exception in the sense that not only marketing will start soon, but at the same time the first real look at the game.

Hence why I'm really doubtful we're not seeing anything. As for Shenmue III, yes I agree, some games marketing start a month before. But I also feel like Shenmue III is an amazing exception here. We saw nearly nothing of the game. We never saw an actual gameplay video 3 months before release. In a sense, I'm happy to have the surprise intact. But then again, it's an exception in the sense that not only marketing will start soon, but at the same time the first real look at the game.
It might be fortuitous it's played out like this, you know.

I've said it a few times, but Deep Silver really want to be riding an upwards curve of excitement leading into release for the best possible results. Time tends to let that excitement fizzle out, which is why you have to keep stoking the fire with trailers, previews, etc. Even MGSV, which was a hugely anticipated game that sold really well, was unable to get that white-hot hype it had for the E3 2013 trailer back on release.

Obviously I can't quantify if that meant lost sales, but the excitement wasn't quite that fever pitch at the next two E3s. I don't think Shenmue III will be game of the show or anything, but casting off the sheet for arguably the first time is a great way to get people to look at it. It's not quite the same the second or third time you do that.

It might be fortuitous it's played out like this, you know.

I've said it a few times, but Deep Silver really want to be riding an upwards curve of excitement leading into release for the best possible results. Time tends to let that excitement fizzle out, which is why you have to keep stoking the fire with trailers, previews, etc. Even MGSV, which was a hugely anticipated game that sold really well, was unable to get that white-hot hype it had for the E3 2013 trailer back on release.

Obviously I can't quantify if that meant lost sales, but the excitement wasn't quite that fever pitch at the next two E3s. I don't think Shenmue III will be game of the show or anything, but casting off the sheet for arguably the first time is a great way to get people to look at it. It's not quite the same the second or third time you do that.

True. In any case, I'm not even sure anymore I want to see the game. If anything all I care to see is facial animations improvements and call it a day. I want to wait until the day of release, start the game and let the intro play. (I really hope there's an intro cause I'd be disappointed af :""") )

Everything is starting to kick off now and I'm in that frame of mind where I am getting super excited for E3 as I do every year. It's my favourite time of the year and I look forward to it more than I do Christmas or any other holiday. I love just no lifing it for a week, getting Dominos and drinking pure shit for a few days, while I watch everything unfold.
This year is a bit different though due to Sony pulling out. I originally was very disappointed when they announced that they wouldn't be participating (in their usual fashion) but as we draw closer, I'm getting very interested in seeing what Microsoft have to offer, mainly because Phil Spencer said they will pick up the slack and they seem to be throwing money at everything that moves :D

When it comes to Shenmue 3 specifically, I would love to see it make a huge showing either via the rumoured State of Play or via Deep Silver themselves in a gameplay deep dive on their youtube channel (which gets pushed out to press outlets), but realistically I think we will see a new trailer with slightly more game play than Magic Monaco (maybe the full version of said trailer that the press were allowed to see). I know that that is shooting for the stars but I am comforted but the fact that, worst case scenario, we will be able to listen to Michael Huber from Easy Allies gush about the game with a huge smile on his face for X amounts of minutes. That alone will keep me happy, as there are other events along the way to launch that they can promote the game.

I would love to see a deep dive though that has some heavy promotion behind it :p

When it comes to Shenmue 3 specifically, I would love to see it make a huge showing either via the rumoured State of Play or via Deep Silver themselves in a gameplay deep dive on their youtube channel (which gets pushed out to press outlets), but realistically I think we will see a new trailer with slightly more game play than Magic Monaco (maybe the full version of said trailer that the press were allowed to see). I know that that is shooting for the stars but I am comforted but the fact that, worst case scenario, we will be able to listen to Michael Huber from Easy Allies gush about the game with a huge smile on his face for X amounts of minutes. That alone will keep me happy, as there are other events along the way to launch that they can promote the game.

I would love to see a deep dive though that has some heavy promotion behind it :p

Idealistically; I would love for them to push out an English language story trailer. Even though I much prefer the Japanese dub, they do need to show off that English dub at some point and the English language trailer makes sense for E3. Then on the side, I'd like if they pushed out that gameplay demo shown at Monaco either on the Kickstarter page or Deep Silver's Youtube page....or even better, they release that vertical slice for all to play :) (the Kickstarter demo perhaps)

Huber's impressions are the only one I'm interested in as far as the media goes :) The man has genuine love for the series, but at the same time I don't think he would be shy in saying if something was seriously wrong with it. But yeah, that's gonna be an entertaining stream when it happens and I will be watching :)

I'm not really worried about Sony pulling out of it this year.

Judging by the Death Stranding teasing, the Wired PS5 article, they really don't need to do much to garner the same hype without the expense of the show floor.

I really do genuinely believe they will be the ones to showcase Shenmue III. They seem to be putting a lot of focus on the games people crave right now and it goes without saying Shenmue is one of them.

Yes, it's niche. Yes, it's 18 years old. But it didnt make damn near 8 million for no reason.

I really think we will be in for a real treat. There are a myriad of reasons to be cynical(I'm guilty), but this man didn't wait 18 years to mess it all up in the end.

Can you simply imagine how he initially felt, standing behind that stage? A small group of fans begged him to resurrect it for YEARS..now he was up there, hoping for at least a small positive reaction to it coming back(did anyone even remember it?). After all, he was asking for money for a chance.

To hear all those gasps, cheers and subsequent raucous applause and a record Kickstarter summation will probably be a memory Yu treasures to his grave.

Last edited:
Back