EDGE Magazine Cover Story: Shenmue 3

No, I'm referring to
Shenhua being kidnapped
Can you direct me to which part of the EDGE article that's in? I've read it probably half a dozen times and don't recall that part.

Are you maybe getting mixed up with the part about Shenhua's father being kidnapped?

Can you direct me to which part of the EDGE article that's in? I've read it probably half a dozen times and don't recall that part.

Are you maybe getting mixed up with the part about Shenhua's father being kidnapped?
I just read it and yes, it's her father that was kidnapped, sorry.
But that's still a big spoiler if you ask me, we didn't know what his fate was in S2

Last edited:
I just read it and yes, it's her father that was kidnapped, sorry. But that's still a big spoiler if you ask me, we didn't know what his fate was in S2
i believe this was already mentioned from past interviews... either way it's still spoiler though.

Huh, kind of always assumed it was so judging by the end of SII so wasn't surprised/didn't register it as a spoiler. But if one didn't think that, yeah, it's a spoiler.

That so? I guess I've missed it. Never knew about until I read the article.
I do remember reading that bit on the old forums back in 2016. It's been known for some time now. But I thought it was leaked anonymously via one of the dinner backers and not an interview. Not sure where it originated but if someone wants to dig through the old forums to find a source that would be nice.

Also agree that it's not a huge spoiler. It's something you'll find out at the beginning of the game anyway, and was an obvious explanation for how the previous game ended.

It first came to light from Yu Suzuki himself in a broadcast with Nico Nico in 2015

It's definitely in there, but apologies, I cannot think of the timestamp. This was a pretty big spoiler for me when I first watched this. No warning. Nothing.

It first came to light from Yu Suzuki himself in a broadcast with Nico Nico in 2015

It's definitely in there, but apologies, I cannot think of the timestamp. This was a pretty big spoiler for me when I first watched this. No warning. Nothing.

39:00 (bless 2x youtube playback speed). I also can't unhear the interviewer's repeated "ohhhh"s.

Wait, he said he plans to add platforming and climbing segments in that interview. Cool.

Climbing ....QTEs?

Not that I am aware of, the interviewer asks about Ryo's jump ability and if it is an evolution of Ryo's actions and Yu Suzuki replies he is planning action scenes where Ryo has to climb the mountain side, and clamber cliffs. There was no reference to QTE's in his statement or the interviewers question.

But if you think about, it's not really hard to believe. Ryo has to walk across planks in Shenmue 2, but yes, there is QTE integration there when he loses balance. Climbing mountains could work similarly where you actually have to climb, and you have a stamina meter but there is also a balance meter that triggers QTEs if you're about to fall.

Last edited:
Finally got one:
ULp2Jqd.jpg

Was surprised to see that it had a white background... still happy to finally get one after not finding it in Supermarkets anywhere! eventually got it at WHSmiths!

But if you think about, it's not really hard to believe. Ryo has to walk across planks in Shenmue 2, but yes, there is QTE integration there when he loses balance. Climbing mountains could work similarly where you actually have to climb, and you have a stamina meter but there is also a balance meter that triggers QTEs if you're about to fall.

Walking across planks was entirely QTE, though. A better example would be Rocky Area, where you navigate yourself but if you go too close to the edge you have a QTE to stop you from falling.

Climbing QTE would be a very bad idea. Sounds to similar to the plank Segment in Shenmue 2. A very hard Segment.

But in General climbing QTE would be that bad, if Yu turns the difficutly dawn. Until Dawn had some climbing QTE as well but they were easy compared to the Shenmue style QTE.

One of the earliest videos of the game "in action" that we saw, in a Kickstarter update, was a textureless clip of Ryo navigating his way across rocky, mountainous terrain, using QTEs to avoid hazards. Maybe that ties in with what Yu was saying there.

He literally says he is planning for scenes where Ryo climbs a mountainside or clambers a cliff. The original question was from a fan asking about action scenes where Ryo jumps. The question is at 45:13, also the video is translated and has subtitles in English...

I wanted to buy a physical copy of this magazine but my only local magazine outlet that would carry it stopped carrying Edge magazine last year. Sucks.

Back