EDGE Magazine Cover Story: Shenmue 3

My copy arrived today. I ordered around 7am the morning it went on sale (US time) and it shipped the next day. There were Swiss Post stickers on it, which implies to me that it came from Switzerland.

I haven't made it through the whole thing yet, but it's nice to have a physical Shenmue III related item to hold me over until August.

That is interesting. So shipping to US from the Uk is faster than shipping from the UK to Austria.:eek::unsure:. I am still waiting for my issue and I ordered it the day it came out.

PS: Enjoy the read of the S3 article.

I finally got my magazine and read it last night. Despite pissing me off right off the bat with accusations that Shenmue killed Sega and Dreamcast, and misspelling Iwao's name twice in a row, as well as some other nitpicks

Sometimes you have to wonder where they get their information. As soon as I read that I suspected a muppet opinion was to follow but it does paint a promising picture.

It'll go in my shenmue collection anyway.

Sometimes you have to wonder where they get their information. As soon as I read that I suspected a muppet opinion was to follow but it does paint a promising picture.

It'll go in my shenmue collection anyway.
Considering how well written the rest of the article was, I'll give it a pass. I do understand that journalists are not passionate fans of every subject and may get misinformation from bad sources they don't fully understand themselves. But it does always irk me when I see it, because to me it's so obviously wrong it's hard to empathize with someone ignorant on a subject I'm so passionate about...

I am still wating for the Magazine. I am on the only left in the dojo that ordered it online and didn't get it yet? Just curious. :cautious:

I am still wating for the Magazine. I am on the only left in the dojo that ordered it online and didn't get it yet? Just curious. :cautious:

I ordered it on 3/2 and it was dispatched on 3/5 - still waiting to receive it here in the U.S.

Caved in, waiting for it to get released in that one kiosk in down town Oslo is tedious, so bought it online and must just add this gem here again;

I'm so thrilled and happy we get these magazine articles now. Will have to set aside some money to pick up stuff that comes out later this year for sure.

My copy finally arrived in the mail this week. While it is nice to have an issue of Edge for your collection with a Ryo cover and a Dragon Mirror design on the back, I must say content-wise this was quite disappointing.

At the very beginning of the issue, the introductory piece says that "Shenmue killed the Dreamcast", totally ignoring the fact that Sega had been on Isao Okawa's private wallet's life support since the 90s after the failures of the Mega CD, 32X and Saturn and also ignoring that in 2000, a tiny little thing called PS2, which to this day still remains the most succesfull console of all time, hit the market. But I guess it's easier to write some sensationalist urban legend bullshit about "Shenmue killing the Dreamcast".

In the S3 article itself they then repeatedly call Iwao "Isao". What the heck was Deep Silver's communications department doing here? They could've at least proofread that thing.

Also the article makes it seem like Ryo and Shenhua have never met before and will only meet for the first time in S3.

Bottom line: While Edge's tone towards Shenmue overall is somewhere between neutral and friendly at least, contens-wise there are still a lot of weaknesses in what they write about Shenmue. Still a nice to have Shenmue collectible though.

While I disagree, with bias, to Shenmue killing Dreamcast/Sega--there's many different factors and none of the popular beliefs are necessarily wrong--gotta admit it isn't innocent or absolved of a pretty obvious contribution. Probably moreso Shenmue II hurt most. Personally, I pin it on Peter Moore. Leaving out the US market, which boosted the interntional sales of Chapter 1 fairly decently.

Shen2 sold well enough for a drikas print in Japan; presumably sold well inn Europe considering how common ebay listings consistently go up since 2002. Also, EB Games in the US imported many copies. Without a wide localized US release, so much profit was lost. They're both one big game, so leaving half off the market pretty much halved potential sales.

In retro perspective the ps2 was a juggernaut no doubt about it. But back in the days of the Dreamcast it was not. At the time the Dreamcast was still alive the PS2 was just a glorified DVD Player with a few games that did nothing better than the Dreamcast could do. DC games even looked better. By the time the PS2 could have killed the DC the DC had already killed it self thanks the wrong management done by Sega. This bad management started many years before the Dreamcast itself. Same goes for Shenmue. So Shenmue should not be used as scapegoat.

If the ps2 could really have killed the Dreamcast is a good question though. It might have been impossible for Sega to win but maybe they could have stand their ground long enough with the DC that maybe a new console would have been a option.

But we will never know.

Things were very complicated back then. So easy statements that X killed Sega because of are not feasible.

ps on Topic I really hope I will get my issue this week. I am still very curious about the Shenmue 3 Article. It will be a good addition to my collection.

OH woah, haha, didn't even realize wrong thread. Yes, back on topic:

Forgot to mention when I received my EDGE copy last week. Will read soon enough, but in no rush.

View attachment 2387

A large pack spotted in the wilderness of Oslo Central Station at last! It's trying to hide from sight behind the misleading column "tegneserie" (cartoon). A welcoming sight of an assumed extinct animal.
Very jealous you can just walk into a news shop and get a copy. Living in South Florida and can’t find any store. B&N does sell Edge but there’s rarely a good supply with current issues. It also sucks that single issues are sold out online and no way to get the gold one without a previous sub. The people scalping these on eBay suck. Cmon man it’s a friggin magazine.

I finally got my copy today as well. The article is well written besides the false story that Shemue killed Sega. And the wrong spelling of Iwao's name. But Edge is not the only mag that writes names wrong. There was a article about Shenmue 1 and 2 in one of the issues of the german retro gamer and they called Nozomi Noriko in the article.

View attachment 2387

A large pack spotted in the wilderness of Oslo Central Station at last! It's trying to hide from sight behind the misleading column "tegneserie" (cartoon). A welcoming sight of an assumed extinct animal.
It's called Edge, but they are all in the middle of the shelf. Claim compensation.

Back