Embracer Q3 Report Presentation @ 9AM CET (3AM EST) 19-2-2020/2-19-2020

Not sure I agree.
Stop being such a blind fanboy. Nowhere did deep silver say it made Them money. They said it is certainly not a triple a ip, which is a nice way of saying it doesn't have much future for them. Without the epic money and 7 million in backers this game would've lost money. Otherwise deep silver wouldn't be so clear in that they see no future in helping fund shenmue 4

Stop being such a blind fanboy. Nowhere did deep silver say it made Them money. They said it is certainly not a triple a ip, which is a nice way of saying it doesn't have much future for them. Without the epic money and 7 million in backers this game would've lost money. Otherwise deep silver wouldn't be so clear in that they see no future in helping fund shenmue 4

Ok, I’ll bite.

where have DS said they see no future in helping to fund SIV?

Lol, blind fanboy of who exactly? Deep Silver?

Wow. Is the agressivity necessary ? Nowhere did Deep Silver said either it made them lose money nor that it had no future with them.
They certainly weren't glad but weren't mad either.

They said that it was their leading revenue driver and that it met management’s expectations. Unless they expected to lose money prior to investing, I think this is a safe indicator that the game turned a profit. You seem to know this already though by your ‘if it didn’t have...’ comment. That it did have those things would indicate that they didn’t lose money and unless they miraculously made exactly as much as they invested, they most likely made a profit.

They said that it’s not a AAA IP, which seems to be stating the obvious more than anything. You can try to attribute meaning to it if you wish (and maybe you’re right), but that doesn’t make it fact. Likewise, nowhere did they say that they didn’t wish to continue with the series.

Reign in the aggressive tone of posting.

Where did they say theres no future for Shenmue with them? We're no clearer now than we were a week ago.

Was it a RIP roaring success? Probably not but they said, clearly its financially fine and met expectations. You can't ask for more than that, certainly based on last week.

Is that enough for Shenmue 4 from Deep Silver or another publisher? We shall see.

They said that it was their leading revenue driver and that it met management’s expectations. Unless they expected to lose money prior to investing, I think this is a safe indicator that the game turned a profit. You seem to know this already though by your ‘if it didn’t have...’ comment. That it did have those things would indicate that they didn’t lose money and unless they miraculously made exactly as much as they invested, they most likely made a profit.

They said that it’s not a AAA IP, which seems to be stating the obvious more than anything. You can try to attribute meaning to it if you wish (and maybe you’re right), but that doesn’t make it fact. Likewise, nowhere did they say that they didn’t wish to continue with the series.

They didn't say "it's not a AAA IP". They said "it's not a mass market product". That's a big difference. Also, "leading revenue driver" doesn't mean much without context. With context, this isn't impressive. They didn't say either that "it met their expectations" but that it did "financially fine". Words are really important, so is context. The take from that is, while Shenmue 3 didn't move a lot of units, it didn't lose money and likely was profitable. But as said before, while it's good that "Shenmue 3 wasn't a money pit" there's also the problem that "It didn't perform well".

It seems like revenues were strong Q3, though, based on the numbers in the report?

They didn't say "it's not a AAA IP". They said "it's not a mass market product". That's a big difference. Also, "leading revenue driver" doesn't mean much without context. With context, this isn't impressive. They didn't say either that "it met their expectations" but that it did "financially fine". Words are really important, so is context. The take from that is, while Shenmue 3 didn't move a lot of units, it didn't lose money and likely was profitable. But as said before, while it's good that "Shenmue 3 wasn't a money pit" there's also the problem that "It didn't perform well".
New releases performed in line with management expectations in the quarter.
To me, that seems very much like they said that it met expectations. I suppose you could argue that they wouldn’t come out and say that it hadn’t met expectations even if that had been the case, except they did exactly that for one of the games published by THQ elsewhere in the report so I don’t think they’re in the habit of sugarcoating things. If the game had failed to meet expectations, they would have said as much.

With this in mind, whether they said it wasn’t a AAA title or that it wasn’t a mass market product seems like semantics. The game performed as they expected it to and so they most likely knew this prior to investing.

The take home from this isn’t that the game didn’t move a lot of units, because nothing in the report or Lars’ comments suggests this, whether or not that’s been the case. Likewise the take home is not that the game didn’t do well because again, they didn’t say this (They said it was ‘in line with expectations’, it did ‘fine’ and that it was a key revenue driver). Again, it’s possible that the game didn’t do well, but neither the report nor the comments suggest this directly.

After today, i have to ask everyone, where does the series go from here? What can we expect moving forward?
I hope I’m wrong, but even with the “positivity” Embraced expressed, I don’t see how a Shenmue IV with diminishing returns as far as sales potential goes is good business. I think we have to hope for a novel/manga.

They seem to be fine with niche titles, so I expect them to go forth with Shenmue IV. I don't see any reason to not allow it if it "met expectations", if nothing else to allow Yu to finish the series out with a fourth entry.

Not to beat a dead horse, but I think they would've erred a little bit more towards the "exceeds expectations" had they not bungled with the Epic deal and also if they had an Xbox version a bit earlier, if not at launch.

Back