Fishing Thread - Locations, Records & Tips

For the closed off area, I think you need to do the following subquest
You have to find a mushroom for the shop owner at the Panda Market. It's located next to the fishing spot east of Verdant Bridge (the first spot listed on the OP). When you deliver the mushroom, you'll have the option of either an item or the location of the fishing spot. I chose the fishing spot but I never got around to fishing there.
Hope this helps out!

EDIT: In case there's any confusion, you have to meet with the shop owner first and accept the subquest to spawn the item needed for the subquest.

Last edited:
Fishing is deeper (no pun intended) than I imagined. All the different kinds swimming around and the challenges.
Guess it comes natural with any fishing game that it's kinda hard to differentiate the fish around your lure, making it quite hard to get what you want. And the rental system is really quite the hinderance in making the most out of it. If it would at least keep you at the tackle shop when you warp there.

Guess I also already locked myself out of a secret spot because I chose a capsule toy. Though part of me is glad that not everything can be found in the first playthrough. Without some prior knowledge and messing around you simply cannot expect to find everything in a Shenmue game.

Fishing is deeper (no pun intended) than I imagined. All the different kinds swimming around and the challenges.
Guess it comes natural with any fishing game that it's kinda hard to differentiate the fish around your lure, making it quite hard to get what you want. And the rental system is really quite the hinderance in making the most out of it. If it would at least keep you at the tackle shop when you warp there.

Guess I also already locked myself out of a secret spot because I chose a capsule toy. Though part of me is glad that not everything can be found in the first playthrough. Without some prior knowledge and messing around you simply cannot expect to find everything in a Shenmue game.
Yeah, I've always been under the impression that Shenmue games are meant to be replayed and experimented with.

I updated the records. Hope to see a fish pass 7,000g soon!

Just unlocked location #7 - I have some tips:

- This pond is small and if you drag your lure too slow a fish will not attach and you will be forced to recast.
- This pond only seems to spawn regular catfish and common carp, but they tend to be big ones! Find any rare fish in this pond?
- Because of how fast you can catch a fish I was able to get a 24,000g load on my first session here. I even fooled around for a good hour of the session experimenting.

Was hoping to find more than just common carp and regular catfish though... once again... find a rare fish?

I caught an 8,600 (it was at least 8, can't remember the hundreds) Golden Carp last night.

As for spot #7, if that is the unlocked spot the kid gives you, don't even reel up; just hit the right analog to the right (or left), while moving the lure left and right constantly, with the left analog.

So, in doing that, I caught... 116 fish in 2 days.

That's not one word of a lie.

Both days, woke up, talked to Shenhua, left the house;

- DO NOT skip to Village Square, as this wastes a good 30 minutes at least.
- (stamina has to be all the way up) Run from Shenhua's house to the fishing guy; you should get there by 7:55ish or so.
- Rent, run to the pond; you should be able to begin fishing by at least 8:15, possibly earlier.
- First session, both days, I caught 29 fish, using the method I mentioned above.
- At about the 3 hour, 35/40 minute mark (so at about 11:50), I quit.
- After I have control again, I run back to the fishing guy; I expected to be turned away, as it was after 12, but I was still able to rent.
- Ran back, started around 12:30 or so.
- First day, second session, caught 30, second day, 28 (I got sidetracked by a few things)

With my prior totals, I believe I'm at around 150 fish by now and I don't necessarily WANT to grind it out here, but I may, simply because this can now be done in less than 17 in-game days; how great would it be to be the first person in the world to get a gold trophy on a PS4 game! :D lol

Edit; people have already gotten that trophy :( oh well!

Last edited:
The whole situation with picking the wrong response for the subquest reward is pretty frustrating. I tried the fishing spot response, noticed it was an area I had seen before, reloaded my save and went with the item instead figuring I would still be able to fish in that spot. Nope it's unlocked with the quest. Love Shenmue but that doesn't make sense.

Does anyone know if subquests restart from the beginnning on a NG+? I want the fish in all spots trophy but this makes it frustrating to get.

The whole situation with picking the wrong response for the subquest reward is pretty frustrating. I tried the fishing spot response, noticed it was an area I had seen before, reloaded my save and went with the item instead figuring I would still be able to fish in that spot. Nope it's unlocked with the quest. Love Shenmue but that doesn't make sense.

Does anyone know if subquests restart from the beginnning on a NG+? I want the fish in all spots trophy but this makes it frustrating to get.
Haven't started NG+, but it says that story is reset when prompted to make a save.

I am so proud to tell you guys I wrote in right when the game was being made and requested fishing and IT'S HERE!!!

It was an impulse from old Dreamcast fishing and wacky Sonic Adventure 2 memories lol!

When I saw fishing was in it I cried tears of joy, I felt my suggestion was actually heard and implemented!! Cannot wait to play more!! :D

I don't get it, I've tried many times and all I can catch are 1kg meanwhile te fat guy always catches 3kg stuff, even if we fish in the same place, I even catched "rare fish" that were only 1.5kg, have no clue what I'm doing wrong.
Is it random ? Does it increases the more you fish ?

Any tips/help on catching the red catfish? Struggling to find that one.
Yeah I'm struggling to get the red one too. The fishing shop guy gave hints on where to cast for the previous 3, but for this one he just gives you a hint on where to find the fishing location.

I'm struggling to start the quest to find the mushroom, ive spoke to everyone at the panda market, has anyone got any ideas?

Talk to the elderly lady in the shop at Panda Market. I think I found the 🍄
by the fishing spot cave next to the Verdant Bridge

Talk to the elderly lady in the shop at Panda Market. I think I found the 🍄
by the fishing spot cave next to the Verdant Bridge
awesome, I'll try it now thank you, BTW
have you already given the master his 50 year old bottle of wine?
I think that may be why the quest hasnt opened up for me yet

Any tips/help on catching the red catfish? Struggling to find that one.
Yeah I'm struggling to get the red one too. The fishing shop guy gave hints on where to cast for the previous 3, but for this one he just gives you a hint on where to find the fishing location.

Its funny; the White, I had to reload once. Then it was the second fish I caught.

The Blue, was about to reload, but it was my last fish caught before I was going to.

The Green, I reloaded *3* times and it was the 5th fish I caught.

The Red, I didn't reload once and it was the third fish I caught lol.

Go figure; I literally did what @deathofaninja posted in the other thread, for the Red. Its all about luck!

Back