General RGG Discussion

I've started the game recently and have played it for about 20 hours. It's very decent, the opening scenario witting had me gripped. But I have found as Chapters have gone on that little aspects of the gameplay can be intrusive for me. For instance, last night I beat a story point and the next point was to return to the night club. As I appeared there was a lady there, who had her own sob story which resorted in Ichiban getting involved in this whole massive business management mini game. After a cutscene or 3 the lady even says it will be a lot to cover and get back to me when you want to continue... yet when Ichiban was playable the damn door was locked! So I had to slog through it and really didn't care for it at all. It's a case when a Sub-Story interrupts the course of the main game.

Another similar issue I have had is with the social system. You have to go to the Survive Bar to bond with your party members, while I like the concept of this, it just doesn't feel very natural within the pace of the game - Maybe if these bond sessions happened after you would wake from your apartment it would be more accessible. But it's not, and I feel I HAVE to to go back because there are a lot of mini-events within the game which increase your characters bonds stats - Like eating at a restaurant. Well if you don't go ahead with the bonding sessions at the bar, the social levels with the party members will be caped and you won't get the experience. So I feel I have to go out of my way and interrupt the story so I'm not missing out on vital experience for the game...

Also, I have just had the job system opened up, Is there a level cap to each job? Because all the levels for the other available jobs are Level 1 and I'm not encouraged to try them when the base job I have had is of a higher level - This is a problem I have had with many RPG's really.

I mean I like the games story setting and really dig the combat system but some of the additional content can just be a little too intrusive/mandatory.

Last edited:
1. It's not mandatory.
2. It's not intrusive lol

One can literally play the entire game without doing ANY side stuff (it's a bit harder, sure, but it can be done): I beat 5 when it first came out, because it was in Japanese and had no translation, so I did 2 or 3 substories that had nothing to do with the mandatory ones (that involve the trainer for each character) and beat the game tidily, with no issues.

That's the nature of the series and how all the games are; if you skipped all of that, the games would all top out around 20 hours or so. ... which is still good, but not as good as the 100 hours or so that you get by doing all the side stuff.

If you WANT to take part in all of that, then do it! If you feel it's intrusive and you don't want to do it, then you don't have to!

My personal experience is that in the Yakuza games 'extracurricular activities' are only introduced to make the player aware they exist, but you can completely ignore them and refuse any optional request that might pop up on your radar at any given time.

Over the course of the 20-ish hour main storylines of each game those introductory scenes add up to maybe a handful of minutes. That's hardly something I would call intrusive and it being optional makes it non-mandatory by definition.

Not that there's anything wrong with anyone choosing to just focus on the main storyline, that's why the extra content is optional to begin with. One of my friends who also likes the Yakuza games tends to just focus on the main storylines and invests very little time in any of the side content.

With that being said, to me personally, playing a Yakuza game and ONLY playing the main story equals only eating half the plate of an exquisite meal. I don't like the concept of rushing through games, especially RPGs. It feels counterintuitive.

I prefer to play fewer games, but take my time with them - where applicable - rather than sprinting through as many as I can. It would suck the joy out of it.

Last edited:
My personal experience is that in the Yakuza games 'extracurricular activities' are only introduced to make the player aware they exist, but you can completely ignore them and refuse any optional request that might pop up on your radar at any given time.

Over the course of the 20-ish hour main storylines of each game those introductory scenes add up to maybe a handful of minutes. That's hardly something I would call intrusive and it being optional makes it non-mandatory by definition.

Not that there's anything wrong with anyone choosing to just focus on the main storyline, that's why the extra content is optional to begin with. One of my friends who also likes the Yakuza games tends to just focus on the main storylines and invests very little time in any of the side content.

With that being said, to me personally, playing a Yakuza game and ONLY playing the main story equals only eating half the plate of an exquisite meal. I don't like the concept of rushing through games, especially RPGs. It feels counterintuitive.

I prefer to player fewer games, but take my time with them - where applicable - rather than sprinting through as many as I can. It would suck the joy out of it.

To each its own but I couldn't possibly imagine playing a Yakuza game and only focusing on the main story. You easily triple to quadruple the playtime and gameplay experience. I've only beat Yakuza 0 & Kiwami 1 but I've invest 100 hours in each one.

Theres going to be a official sneak peek teaser trailer for a new Ryu Ga Gotoku project on September 8 at at 20:00 JST.
But so far it seems like there are absolutely no clues on what they are going to show.

The video description says
‘Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio TV #12.5: Sneak Peek Trailer Brought to You by the Director!’.
Featuring Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio director and executive producer Masayoshi Yokoyama
and product manager Masaya Santou.

Do you ever think Sega would re-release the spin-off Yakuza games?

I have no idea. There was a time (around 2016-2018) where Sega staff acknowledged
that fans are interested in the Japan only spin off games.
But with Yakuza 6, Yakuza 0, remastering the old games, then Judgment, Yakuza 7 and Lost Judgment
and the translation teams trying to keep up with the new releases,
there simply was no time left to squeeze in these unreleased games.
All of the departments had their hands full.

I think the last time someone commented on it was that if there would be a Kenzan and / or Ishin version
for the west, it would be a remake. But thats it. We dont know if Sega actually ever had any plans
to translate them or if they really want to make Kiwami versions of these games
or if Sega decided to move on. No idea.

I would be completely fine with minimum effort remasters of Kenzan / Ishin that offer upscaled graphics at 60fps and just English text added. I imagine it would be similar to the remasters of Y3-5.

For the Black Panther games I want Kiwami-style remakes. I've played the fan translations for those earlier this year on the PSP and feel like they would really flourish with a bit of love.

That's all wishful thinking though as I feel the spin-offs are a tougher sell to Western audiences compared to the mainline games. But then they took a risk with Judgment and it paid off, so who knows?

I would be completely fine with minimum effort remasters of Kenzan / Ishin that offer upscaled graphics at 60fps and just English text added. I imagine it would be similar to the remasters of Y3-5.

For the Black Panther games I want Kiwami-style remakes. I've played the fan translations for those earlier this year on the PSP and feel like they would really flourish with a bit of love.

That's all wishful thinking though as I feel the spin-offs are a tougher sell to Western audiences compared to the mainline games. But then they took a risk with Judgment and it paid off, so who knows?

Its really hard to tell. The best time to give us the spin off games in english or other / more languages
would have been around the time when they released 0, the Kiwamis and Remaster box
because thats where the hype level was at max level
but at the same time they didnt have enough time and personnel to take care of the spin offs
because the translation department had to catch up to all of the content that the japanese studio
was throwing out.
Now they have caught up but Ryu Ga Gotoku havent stopped developing new games
and with Segas target of releasing these games worldwide on the same day,
theres probably no extra time for translating other projects left.
Also the former english translation department boss said that
Kenzan and Ishin would need more work because the script in these games is written in a specific japanese
style that matches the japanese language of the time period where the games take place.
So to make it a authentic feeling / translation, a casual modern english translation wouldnt be right.

Then we have the whole scenario with Sega officially commenting
that there are no plans for a english Kenzan or Ishin release and later the Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio producer saying
that he knows that fans would like to get these games but he thinks that IF they would do it,
it would be remakes of those games ...

I have no idea where we at now in this whole spin off discussion.
Maybe Sega did approve Remakes of these games, maybe Sega doesnt care at all
and told everyone to ignore it ... maybe we hear about it some day,
maybe we dont hear anything about it ever again. No clue.

I’d love the opportunity to play a Kiwami-style version of the Black Panther games. Don’t know exactly how the story was, but if it was about like, a high school delinquent, then I definitely wouldn’t mind the whole high school scenario being integrated.

Do you ever think Sega would re-release the spin-off Yakuza games?

I selfishly don't want them to be translated, because the series has (on the whole) shitty Western fans and not only would they not appreciate the two titles (ESPECIALLY Ishin!), a ton would be lost in translation (like the significance of the Secret of Onomichi was for 6).

I mean, the character election was done in 2013, after 5 came out and Western fans would have no idea why all past characters are showing up as members of the Shinsengumi.

Plus, I voted like 200 times a day to get Kashiwagi in the top 10 and damnit, I'm proud that I was able to help get him there! :LOL:

As for Kurohyo, I too would actually play a Kiwami version of those, rather than just an upscaled update; I loved my time with both and Ashura Hen is an incredible handheld game, especially for the hardware it came out on.

I’d love the opportunity to play a Kiwami-style version of the Black Panther games. Don’t know exactly how the story was, but if it was about like, a high school delinquent, then I definitely wouldn’t mind the whole high school scenario being integrated.

He's a dropout and has 0 to do with high school though, so I don't think that would be included. Kamurocho and Sotenbori would be reused as well, so the settings are pretty much set as well.

Correct: Syn Sophia were the Devs, with Sega only handling publishing and the like.

I selfishly don't want them to be translated, because the series has (on the whole) shitty Western fans and not only would they not appreciate the two titles (ESPECIALLY Ishin!), a ton would be lost in translation (like the significance of the Secret of Onomichi was for 6).

I mean, the character election was done in 2013, after 5 came out and Western fans would have no idea why all past characters are showing up as members of the Shinsengumi.

Plus, I voted like 200 times a day to get Kashiwagi in the top 10 and damnit, I'm proud that I was able to help get him there! :LOL:

As for Kurohyo, I too would actually play a Kiwami version of those, rather than just an upscaled update; I loved my time with both and Ashura Hen is an incredible handheld game, especially for the hardware it came out on.

He's a dropout and has 0 to do with high school though, so I don't think that would be included. Kamurocho and Sotenbori would be reused as well, so the settings are pretty much set as well.
Every fandom has that obnoxious loud minority section where all the entitled, toxic and unappreaciative trolls reside. They're not representative of fan communities as a whole and I wouldn't want them to stand in the way of the rest getting what they want. Although I can definitely relate to your sentiment to a certain extent.

I'm just really hoping for a Western release, in whatever form it may come.

As for the two Kurohyou games; they really took me back to the PS2 era of the franchise - albeit for mostly technical reasons - but yeah the way the story flows is unique to those two games. I first thought not having traditional cutscenes may take me out of it, but the artstyle of the handdrawn story sections is great and I actually would like at least some of it to survive a potential port / remaster / remake. I have no clue how they would tackle the battle system, though. Not saying it can't be done, it's just interesting.

On to a spin-off I haven't addressed yet, because it actually did come out in the West: Dead Souls! I actually haven't played the game yet. By the time it came out I was kinda turned off that instead of a mainline title we got a spin-off that wasn't canon to the mainline games.

At some point I did read that the game didn't do very well outside of Japan. My own added speculation is that Dead Souls' lack of success was the reason it took so long for Yakuza 5 to make it here and might be what's keeping further spin-off localizations from happening. Not sure if that was actually ever commented on in any official capacity.

Over time I became such a fanboy of the series and studio RGG though, that my sentiments have changed and it's on my to play list. But their Hokuto no Ken / Fist of the North Star game will probably come first. I've even been watching the anime to get into the story and have my suspicions that some of its moments were directly responsible for certain elements we've encountered during Kiryu's adventures. But I digress..

Correct: Syn Sophia were the Devs, with Sega only handling publishing and the like.
Yeah, I see a lot of Kenka Bancho in it, but it works. I love the fighting system of Kurohyo. Kurohyo 2 is the natural evolution of it. I love giving him the punches of a boxer, the kicks of a muay thai fighter, the grapples of a bjj black belt, and the finishes of a pro wrestler.

Every fandom has that obnoxious loud minority section where all the entitled, toxic and unappreaciative trolls reside. They're not representative of fan communities as a whole and I wouldn't want them to stand in the way of the rest getting what they want. Although I can definitely relate to your sentiment to a certain extent.

I'm just really hoping for a Western release, in whatever form it may come.

As for the two Kurohyou games; they really took me back to the PS2 era of the franchise - albeit for mostly technical reasons - but yeah the way the story flows is unique to those two games. I first thought not having traditional cutscenes may take me out of it, but the artstyle of the handdrawn story sections is great and I actually would like at least some of it to survive a potential port / remaster / remake. I have no clue how they would tackle the battle system, though. Not saying it can't be done, it's just interesting.

On to a spin-off I haven't addressed yet, because it actually did come out in the West: Dead Souls! I actually haven't played the game yet. By the time it came out I was kinda turned off that instead of a mainline title we got a spin-off that wasn't canon to the mainline games.

At some point I did read that the game didn't do very well outside of Japan. My own added speculation is that Dead Souls' lack of success was the reason it took so long for Yakuza 5 to make it here and might be what's keeping further spin-off localizations from happening. Not sure if that was actually ever commented on in any official capacity.

Over time I became such a fanboy of the series and studio RGG though, that my sentiments have changed and it's on my to play list. But their Hokuto no Ken / Fist of the North Star game will probably come first. I've even been watching the anime to get into the story and have my suspicions that some of its moments were directly responsible for certain elements we've encountered during Kiryu's adventures. But I digress..

Dead Souls is a fun game; it's 4 but as a shooter, so it has all of the same, long and drawn out extras and everything that 4 has (save for the underground and above-ground sections, which are better-integrated into gameplay). The shooting isn't anything groundbreaking, but is still a ton of fun and far from tedious or anything like that. It was also the first time Majima was playable, so that turns some fans on... but you also play as Goda and I personally have never cared for him.

It indeed didn't help matters in the West, plus Binary Domain didn't sell like gangbusters either, so both made RGG Studios tentative (I believe 4's numbers were also below expectation, after the first three sold super-well in the West. may be wrong on that though).

It's worth a pickup though, as you will get a lot of playtime out of it, if you stick with it.

I don't think this has been spread on western social media, but here in China, a guy who has had several accurate leaks said that Yakuza 8's first promotional video will be revealed on September 14th, 4 hours before yesterday's live broadcast.

20220909113505.png

Then a few minutes later, he also hinted that Yakuza Ishin Kiwami should be announced within a week.

He put a chicken in the portrait of the real historical figure Sakamoto Ryoma. In Chinese, chicken and kiwami have the same pronunciation.

20220909113738.png

Here are some of the games he leaked:

Last edited:
Back