General RGG Discussion

HnK is an awesome franchise. Never got into it (nor will I ever), but it's great stuff.

I've been a huge fan since 5th grade lol

As for City Hunter, I would prefer the anime voice cast to return, but I can see Ichi's voice actor as Ryo, and Saeko's voice actress as Kaori, and Adachi's as Falcon.

FYB1OvfWQAIFABu

FYB1PSkWAAA3IAN

FYB1P22XoAIJ_GB

FYBxzjgaAAAbtXD

FYBxzxKVEAAsrW9

niya8.png

Yakuza like a dragon is going to on ps plus essential next month. This release gives me the chance to try out like a Dragon for the first time.

Althought not a mega fan I have played and also own every Yakuza game that was released on the ps4. I have been interested in Like a Dragon but I am big sceptic about the new combat system. i am not even saying that is bad but I just doubt that i am going to enjoy it. That's why I have purchased like a Dragon yet. The free ps plus release finally gives me the chance to try it out.

Maybe it turns out that was wrong and I am going to enjoy the new combat system a lot. Who knows. Everything is possible. :eek:
o_O

I think if they announce it around TGS, the release will be in December 2022 - February 2023.
Lost Judgment had a time frame of almost exactly 4 months between the announcement and the worldwide release.
I suspect they are going for a day one worldwide release again.
So depending on when the announcement pops up, i think + 4 months until release is realistic.

Yakuza like a dragon is going to on ps plus essential next month. This release gives me the chance to try out like a Dragon for the first time.

Althought not a mega fan I have played and also own every Yakuza game that was released on the ps4. I have been interested in Like a Dragon but I am big sceptic about the new combat system. i am not even saying that is bad but I just doubt that i am going to enjoy it. That's why I have purchased like a Dragon yet. The free ps plus release finally gives me the chance to try it out.

Maybe it turns out that was wrong and I am going to enjoy the new combat system a lot. Who knows. Everything is possible. :eek:
o_O
Trust me, whether you like turn-based or not, it is GLORIOUS.

I got to grips with it after 2 battles and I played ENTIRELY IN JAPANESE. It works, trust me ;)

What are we banking on, release this year or next? Looks like they're laying voice tracks and doing lip sync.

Doubt it would be this year, unless it's a mid-December release.

As Tosh said, I'd expect it in February (early).

Doubt it would be this year, unless it's a mid-December release.

As Tosh said, I'd expect it in February (early).
I can live with that so long as it's another worldwide release with day & date PC version. It's been long enough that I'm in the mood for another Yakuza AND another JRPG, so it's primed to hit my sweet spot.

I have already played Like a Dragon for a few hours and like it so far. The turn-based Comb at System turned out to be more fan than I have expected and besides the combat, the game is a classic Yakuza game which means it is quite entertaining.

Ichi is also a way cooler character than I have anticipated. The game is pretty good so far. Going to finish it eventually for sure.

The combat grows on you, especially when mroe jobs and moves start opening up along the way. And I personally like Ichiban better than Kiryu...he's way more of a human, Kiryu was always just kind of the stoic hero, which isn't a bad thing, just a bit drab at times.

The combat grows on you, especially when mroe jobs and moves start opening up along the way. And I personally like Ichiban better than Kiryu...he's way more of a human, Kiryu was always just kind of the stoic hero, which isn't a bad thing, just a bit drab at times.

They are both human.

Ichiban is just more relatable, as he was never a high-ranking member, nor did he get embroiled in top issues.

Kiryu was a major player in the Tojo Clan from events even before the first game, not to mention that his, "killing of Dojima ,"and the events of 1 made him a MASSIVE target (for good and bad), which he just couldn't shake even if he didn't want to be part of things anymore.

No matter how much I hate it, I'm yakuza through and through.

Kiryu was written as the classic Yakuza, how they had been portrayed for decades prior in Japanese media. Ichiban has been written in 2018+ and is much more reflective of the modern world and the people in it.

Kiryu is ALMOST on Xiuying's level, as to how great of a character that Sega conceived, wrote and used; after her, I'd put him as the greatest character they have created.

I would sum it up with that quote; Kiryu is a Yakuza, to his core, while Ichiban is just a happy go lucky guy that shows some similar qualities, but isn't a Yakuza at heart.

For that reason, he is more relatable, but it doesn't make him any more human than Kiryu.

Last edited:
If you want a friend for your Numskull Shenmue statue,
there is a new Yakuza statue available from the same company
Its about 100 USD / โ‚ฌ (comes out in November 2022)
Official Sega product

Kazuma_Yakuza_Statue_NS_PL_1.jpg

As mentioned a few weeks ago, funds are SUPER tight right now (AND I need a new battery+alternator for the winter), but we'll see: hopefully they don't all sell out right away.

92654255-vollbild.jpg

New interview from german 4players with Nagoshi.
I know its not really about RGG but i think here in this category are probably more
users interested in this than in any other category.

4Players: Whats your favourite game within your own software career?

Nagoshi: I'm proud of all my games, especially Daytona USA
because it was the first game that was a big success.

4Players: Nagoshi Studio is now about 6 months old, hows it going?

Nagoshi: Since february we are assembling a new team
and we already are working on a new game. But we still need more people.
Thats why i'm doing job interviews almost every day at Nagoshi Studio.

4Players: NetEase has been known primarily for mobile brands and working with Western studios
to bring their franchises to China. But now you stand for classic arcade and console games.
So what does a Toshihiro Nagoshi bring to NetEase?

Nagoshi: At the first meeting with NetEase about working together,
I made it very clear: "I'm not going to make a mobile game, it's simply impossible.
Also, you guys can do it much better than I can." Fortunately, they were completely okay with that,
because they expect me to make a console top seller.
But there's another aspect: because modern smartphones are getting better and better
and are almost as powerful as consoles, it makes it easier for NetEase and Nagoshi Studio
to exchange technology - so in this way NetEase can also benefit from our tech know-how.
That's why the timing for me to join NetEase was a very good one.
And one more important thing: NetEase has money. And quite a lot of money!

4Players: Before you were at Sega for over 30 years, a hell of a long time.
How did you finally decide to turn over a new leaf?

Nagoshi: Especially in the last few years, I had reached the top management level of Sega.
And I told the current owner, "Guys, I don't want to be the CEO of Sega here."
I'm a gamer and a game maker, I want to push my career in that direction as well.
Eventually, I came to the point that I saw better prospects for that if I started my own company
and just didn't stay with Sega. And at the same time, Sega can now develop someone into a future CEO.
So I think the interests of both sides, Sega's and mine, are best served. At the same time,
this leads to a continued very friendly relationship with Sega, even after I quit there.

4Players: You are quite a glittering, unique person in the gaming industry.
Is that why the Yakuza setting with all the colorful streets, the gambling, crimes and easy girls
was such a good match?

Nagoshi: I love the game setting of Yakuza a lot. Not just in games but in books and movies too.
But you know, people who are developing a football game, probably like football in general.
People who are developing a game about car racing, probably like cars in general
and so on. To make it short: i like alcohol and girls.

4Players: Let's get right to it: What passion of yours will we meet in Nagoshi Studio's first game?

Nagoshi: Of course I can't reveal too much about our game yet,
but I can give a rough idea: It will definitely include violence as a game element,
but I don't want to go too much in the direction of thriller or even horror.
I want my game to be more like a Quentin Tarantino movie - so there may be some humor in it.
Something that is only intimidating or only bloody and brutal doesn't suit my taste -
I want a human touch, some silliness and some seriousness, that's what I'm in the mood for at the moment.

4Players: And when will we get to see the first snippet of when the first Nagoshi Studio game will be revealed?

Nagoshi: I'll have to be vague again. But it's like this: When I have an idea
and feel like implementing it - it soon bubbles out of me.
I'm not the type who can hold something like that back for a long time.
So you probably won't have to wait too much longer.... Or rather: I think I'll go public with it
much sooner than other developers would!

Yeah, i think nobody here in the EU region or US region would say something like that in a interview?
Like i can already imagine the Twitter posts about how you can say something like that
as the boss of the company bla bla bla bla bla ... Like imagine some studio boss at Ubisoft would say that.
Hes also not trying to sail around the truth, he straight up says that one of the reasons he left Sega
is that NetEase has a lot of money. So at least hes not trying to sell it as something else.
But yeah, i mean based on the description it sounds like the new project is still going to be heavily influenced
by the Yakuza series in terms of story and gameplay and the mix of super serious and funny / awkward.

Back