General Shenmue & Shenmue II talk

I've been trying to find the reason behind the delayed release date in Japan, and the remaining bugs and glitches could be just that.

I think it's more to do with the additional translation work that is required due to the nature of the Xbox release of Shenmue II being used, which had many notable differences. Shenmue II was altered/censored in parts of the game in the West, therefore they are either re-translating parts or reverting the Western changes (probably the former).

Edit: Jesus, Hang On sounds fucking atrocious!

One thing I noticed from a Shenmue 2 stream was that the music had reverb/sustain that was way, way too strong, to the point that any song with a lot of it turned to mush. I hope that's patched, but I'm not sure I put much stock in it.

after i put the disc in my PS4, i had to click on both icons of Shenmue 1 & 2
and it downloaded 200 mb for Shenmue 1 and 1.7 gb for Shenmue 2.

you can put the application icons for 1 & 2 in another custom folder
but you cant move the Shenmue HD application icon of the disc. if you press options on that icon,
all you can do is "reject disc".
Does the Shenmue 1 & 2 icon do anything like take you to a game select menu?

One thing I noticed from a Shenmue 2 stream was that the music had reverb/sustain that was way, way too strong, to the point that any song with a lot of it turned to mush. I hope that's patched, but I'm not sure I put much stock in it.

tenor.gif

.....This is going to have to be one hell of a patch come Tuesday....

I think it's more to do with the additional translation work that is required due to the nature of the Xbox release of Shenmue II being used, which had many notable differences. Shenmue II was altered/censored in parts of the game in the West, therefore they are either re-translating parts or reverting the Western changes (probably the former).

Edit: Jesus, Hang On sounds fucking atrocious!
Indeed, so that means the game is still being worked on, and more bugs could probably be removed along the way before the Japanese release. I remember EarthBound Beginnings being enhanced during its English localisation and I can't see why that can't happen here as well, let's be a bit more patient and hope for the best.

Indeed, so that means the game is still being worked on, and more bugs could probably be removed along the way before the Japanese release. I remember EarthBound Beginnings being enhanced during its English localisation and I can't see why that can't happen here as well, let's be a bit more patient and hope for the best.

I have the Japanese LE pre-ordered and one of the reasons is because I hope the game will be a more 'complete' version on disc, due to the delayed release :)

That said, I guess some people are skeptical because 1. d3t worked on Sega Genesis Classics for Sega and that collection had major glitches/bugs (mostly sound oriented - sensing the theme here?) that have not been fixed despite patches and 2. Exceptionally buggy games on release rarely fully get fixed.

Last edited:
An English translation (from French) of the first game's trophies list :
A Well Filled Shelf (Platinum)
You Got All The Trophies Well Done!

A Needle In A Haystack (Silver)
Find Charlie In A Tattoo Parlor

Mirror, My Beautiful Mirror (Silver)
Get The Letter From Yuanda Zhu

Step By Step (Silver)
Reach New Yokosuka Harbor

Break (Silver)
Return To Warhouse 8 And Meet Master Chen

Blindly (Silver)
Fing The Mirror Of The Phoenix In The Basement Of The Hazuki Residence

Work Is Health (Silver)
Find A Job At The Port

Fallen Angels (Silver)
Save Nozomi From The Mad Angels

Jerks Off (Gold)
Beat 70 Men With Bare Hands

(Something)... Cart (Gold)
Beat Chai At The Port

Next Stop Hong Kong (Gold)
Complete The Game

Good Reflexes (Silver)
Call The Police At The Beginning Of The Game

The Good Times (Silver)
Find The Memory In The Yard

Delicious Meal (Silver)
Find The Memory In The Kitchen

Friends For Life (Silver)
Find The Memory In The Dojo

Training Is The Key To Success (Silver)
Practice Kung Fu In The Dojo

Boy-Scout (Silver)
Help The Old Lady Find A House

Profiteer (Silver)
Buy A Soda To Quench The Thirst For Guangji Wang

It's Worth What It's Worth (Silver)
Bring The Phoenix Mirror To The Two Antique Dealers

Cat Thief (Silver)
Find Megumi's Kitten When It Disappears

Technical Hair (Silver)
Learn A Technique From Tom At The Hot Dog Stand

The Darling Of Mark (?!?) (Gold)
Win A Forklift Race

Gotcha Galore (Bronze)
Find Your First Toy Collection

Gotcha Galore II (Bronze)
Get 25 Toy Capsules

Gotcha Galore III (Bronze)
Get 50 Toy Capsules

I Know Kung Fu (Bronze)
Learn A Fighting Technique

I Know Kung Fu Better (Bronze)
Learn Five Fighting Techniques

An Unexpected Visit (Silver)
Visit The Fortune Teller

It's Smarter Than You (Bronze)
Play Hang-On Or Space Harrier

I thought I heard that the music sounded weird in the original Xbox version. Or is that not true?

I thought I heard that the music sounded weird in the original Xbox version. Or is that not true?

I think there are some issues, but nothing like the reverb issue I was hearing.

And for some reason, the piano sounds in the first Shenmue seem to be missing reverb. Is it really that hard to get the music right? That sounds like a diss but I actually have no idea, maybe it is.

Last edited:

you're not wrong, just been watching a Shenmue 2 stream a few minutes ago and the music starts off OK when you enter an area and gets progressively worse as time passes with notes lasting too long or seemingly getting stuck so they end up running into each other. Just add it to the now extensive list of things this magical day 1 patch is meant to fix... I'm not holding my breath, although our Shenmue ambassadors (specifically Adam Koralik and to a lesser extent the Dojo staff) have been adamant that all the issues are being fixed with the day one patch; which is why all this discussion was banned because it didn't represent the end product and could harm sales. So lets see eh?! I hope my cynicism is totally unfounded otherwise those aggressively trying to "control the message" before launch are going to feel a bit sheepish and reviewers are going to be drooling down their triple chins in anticipation of publishing their negative review :( certainly not going to help Shenmue 3..

...what I will say just to counter-balance the negativity is I think all the UI changes etc are really well done and are what I would have expected in a modern Shenmue game. If they fix the performance and music issues this would be an excellent port.

Last edited:
It sucks, but even if they can't fix things I'm certain modders can and will. Of course that's no excuse for the bugs, but I'm sure there'll be a great version of Shenmue for the PC and modern consoles in the end.

Back