General Shenmue & Shenmue II talk

although our Shenmue ambassadors (specifically Adam Koralik and to a lesser extent the Dojo staff) have been adamant that all the issues are being fixed with the day one patch

Some of our Shenmue ambassadors have been saying that the games pre-patch are mostly completely fine and that there's 'only a few very minor' sound bugs... What I'm hearing and seeing in this thread looks pretty major to me.

If we're "lucky", the mainstream gaming media and critics won't even notice anyways, since they all failed to notice that the sound in the Genesis Collection was at best way off, and at worst just abysmal :rolleyes:

Adam Koralik isn't an ambassador, he's a paid spokesman. He actually argued that a lot of the issues with the ports could not be fixed at all and it has nothing to do with these being budget ports...

OK, but who cares about that?
Those of us that want this game to sell well to promote more sequels...

Does the Shenmue 1 & 2 icon do anything like take you to a game select menu?

yes, the Shenmue 1 icon will start Shenmue 1 and the other one Shenmue 2 with its own standard (Dreamcast) menue.
but the disc itself has also a Shenmue icon and you cant move it anywhere. it will always stay at the top of your dashboard
even if you move the start applications for 1 & 2 to a different custom folder.

Adam Koralik isn't an ambassador, he's a paid spokesman. He actually argued that a lot of the issues with the ports could not be fixed at all and it has nothing to do with these being budget ports....

While I think Adam Koralik is probably being disingenuous with his representation of the ports; lets not jump into some hate train here; its probably more down to his enthusiasm than anything else.

... and its true some issues can't be fixed. such as the 4:3 ratio on cut scenes. Characters are not animated outside the bounds of the original screen ratio.

It might sound like I'm being overly negative with my worries over performance and the music; but I know I can say this here amongst other Shenmue fans; but if I found Shenmue being criticized in other social situations I'd defend the game vigorously because its a big part of my past and I want it to do well.

*side note: busy watching a stream of the book airing task at the temple; music is broken there too*

Last edited:
yes, the Shenmue 1 icon will start Shenmue 1 and the other one Shenmue 2 with its own standard (Dreamcast) menue.
but the disc itself has also a Shenmue icon and you cant move it anywhere. it will always stay at the top of your dashboard
even if you move the start applications for 1 & 2 to a different custom folder.
No I meant the Icon that says Shenmue 1 & 2, since it puts a total of 3 icons on your menu(1, 2 and 1&2)

Last edited:
The thing is - and I know this is a gross oversimplification of video game development - but all I wanted was ports of the games that were every bit as good as the originals. If they're not at least as good as the originals, then really what's the point? A huge part of Shenmue's charm was its atmosphere and sound. These bugs really distract from the experience.

I don't want to be too negative and down about the collection, but it really is disappointing. I really do hope a lot of these issues get fixed soonish.

Looks like all the NPC fading in and out is still present. Although It does look like a few more NPC's can be on the screen at once.

The thing is - and I know this is a gross oversimplification of video game development - but all I wanted was ports of the games that were every bit as good as the originals. If they're not at least as good as the originals, then really what's the point? A huge part of Shenmue's charm was its atmosphere and sound. These bugs really distract from the experience.

I don't want to be too negative and down about the collection, but it really is disappointing. I really do hope a lot of these issues get fixed soonish.

assuming they fix the excessive slow down and the music issues it is indeed as good as the originals and in many respects better...

*music is broken in Xuiying's room too; sounds like whoever is playing the instrument is drunk*

Last edited:
While I think Adam Koralik is probably being disingenuous with his representation of the ports; lets not jump into some hate train here; its probably more down to his enthusiasm than anything else.
I dislike Adam but I have no intention of starting a hate train, not exactly my style...

But regardless of his reasons, he's being dishonest and whenever he's called out on it he pulls the "I know more than you but I'm not allowed to say anything" bullshit. Honestly pisses me off that he was chosen to represent this game when he's doing such an awful job...

His smug bullshit video explaining why the ports have so many faults(but they're not faults they're choices hurr durr) was so cringe worthy it was insane...

His smug bullshit video explaining why the ports have so many faults(but they're not faults they're choices hurr durr) was so cringe worthy it was insane...

his made-up "artistic choice" excuse for the 4:3 ratio cut-scenes did make me curl my toes somewhat; considering we already knew the real reason why they couldn't be 16:9; it came off extra disingenuous because of that and made it seem he was desperately clamoring for any excuse.... I don't hate the guy though. I barely know him. so lets leave it at that eh. hate seem a bit over the top.

Right @Kodama I need you to clam down the rhetoric a bit. You might have personal opinions regarding Adam, but please keep this civil. Personal attacks and slander of anyone will not sit well here. This goes for the rest as well.

To the rest here. As I stated in the first post here. The game has been released before the release date. I have worked within game development, published games etc, and let me tell you, there will be fixes, and there will be patches. What you are playing is not the final product. Please keep this in mind.

No I meant the Icon that says Shenmue 1 & 2, since it puts a total of icons on your menu(1, 2 and 1&2)

if you enter the disc, a Shenmue icon appears on the PS4 dashboard but the icon does nothing.
its just something like a folder. if you press down, you can see that Shenmue 1 & 2 is in there.
you can start Shenmue 1 & 2 with those two icons. there is no special fancy Shenmue HD menue or something like that.
its just ".exe A" and ".exe B".

his made-up "artistic choice" excuse for the 4:3 ratio cut-scenes did make me curl my toes somewhat; considering we already knew the real reason why they couldn't be 16:9; it came off extra disingenuous because of that and made it seem he was desperately clamoring for any excuse.... I don't hate the guy though. I barely know him. so lets leave it at that eh. hate seem a bit over the top.
I'm not the biggest Adam fan, but he did say it was a personal theory upfront, not official. I completely disagree with it, but I don't think there's any harm in him saying that as his opinion.

Wow. Im hoping that since I havent played these games since my Dreamcast broke in 2003, I wont notice the issues so much. From what I saw in a stream the visuals looked so smooth. I was more pissed off at the guy streaming that clearly didnt give a fuck about Shenmue and would keep stopping the game just to type shit and fuckabout on his PC. Idiot.

Right @Kodama I need you to clam down the rhetoric a bit. You might have personal opinions regarding Adam, but please keep this civil. Personal attacks and slander of anyone will not sit well here. This goes for the rest as well.
Nothing I've said was a personal attack or slander, it was valid criticism. This is a very important distinction that I think we should hold sacred. But if it makes you upset that I criticize Adam for spreading misinformation and propaganda, I will stop. We just need to make that distinction clear going forward...

The game has been released before the release date. I have worked within game development, published games etc, and let me tell you, there will be fixes, and there will be patches. What you are playing is not the final product. Please keep this in mind.
We know this, the question is how well it will be patched and how much with be fixed. Both Sega and D3T don't have the best track record for such things, so in the meantime we can only speculate...

I don't hate the guy though. I barely know him. so lets leave it at that eh. hate seem a bit over the top.
I dislike Adam but I have no intention of starting a hate train, not exactly my style...

Back