General Shenmue & Shenmue II talk

Advice needed!

Progressing through 2 faster than I realised/wanted. I'm on Ryo's final day in Wan Chai. Can I stay in Wan Chai as long as I don't speak to Xiuying? Like can I just avoid her until its time for bed and keep doing new days here?

I wanted to do some duck racing this time around but fang mei is still referring to me as Hazuki San. Am I too late to do duck races and the fights on the upper arcade level? I assume that my only conversation option with her at this point will be a goodbye.

Nope, if you've done the Lucky Plaza QTE you are on your final day and will automatically speak to Xiuying at the end of the day. If you haven't already spoken to Eileen and Izumi and gotten the bronze medal then it's too late to do duck races, but if you have you can still do the fights and gamble (but you can't catch your own duck).

I have a question:
I have completed Shennue 2. When I open Shenmue Collection I can do the battles again. I have:

The beast (beverly hills w)
Mongolian Wrestling
Iron Thrust
Acrobat
Iron Head

Rod
Greg
Chunyan
Master Baihu

I have 2 unlocked spots though, between Iron head and Greg. Who are those? Eileen and Izumi? I have encountered and fought them in my playthrough

I have a question:
I have completed Shennue 2. When I open Shenmue Collection I can do the battles again. I have:

The beast (beverly hills w)
Mongolian Wrestling
Iron Thrust
Acrobat
Iron Head

Rod
Greg
Chunyan
Master Baihu

I have 2 unlocked spots though, between Iron head and Greg. Who are those? Eileen and Izumi? I have encountered and fought them in my playthrough
Passive Raid Style in Small Dragon Garden
Guy with eyepatch in Star Gazing Point

The entrances to both of them are in the Stand Quarter

Passive Raid Style in Small Dragon Garden
Guy with eyepatch in Star Gazing Point

The entrances to both of them are in the Stand Quarter

Totally forgot about them, thanks!!
I remember the passive raid style but the other guy I’m having trouble to remember.
Do you have any youtube link?

100%ed Shenmue 2 and disappointed to confirm there is no Saturn movie or equivalent. Don't see any reason why they would take that out.

Wasn't peter or one of the mods on here hinting at getting something for completing the secret snapshot quest? Well I did and its the same rewards as the original version. Liar.

Your misinformation is laughable at best. You can go back and find what I actually said in my post. You were waffling on the other day about the calling card and what you believed was completely wrong, and then you went on your usual negative rant, shitting on the series. I forgot about that.

But then to get it wrong again about what I said about completing the snapshot challenge, and then be branded a liar?

Pretty much had enough of you, so from the majority of members, and lurkers, you are gone. Anyone reading this and wondering why, select the user and search his post history. But rest assured, he won't be here again, as well as a few others which will no doubt end up on the banned list.

Once again I will remind people the name of this website; Shenmue Dojo. Purpose of this website; fan web-brand dedicated to Shenmue. If you think you are gonna participate here and constantly brand the series with negative comments and think you will develop your own persona as cool or edgy, then you will be saying bye bye sooner rather than later. Anyone any issues with that, then you can come speak to me directly.

Totally forgot about them, thanks!!
I remember the passive raid style but the other guy I’m having trouble to remember.
Do you have any youtube link?
It's this guy

zhouhong5.jpg

It's this guy

zhouhong5.jpg

Thanks! I believe I fought this guy only in my very early playthroughs when I was a kid. I played Shenmue 2 more than 20 times I guess...Totally forgot about him.
The only real thing I have never directly experienced is fangmei’s birthday event.
This is why I guess I’ll have another Shenmue run! :)

Your misinformation is laughable at best. You can go back and find what I actually said in my post. You were waffling on the other day about the calling card and what you believed was completely wrong, and then you went on your usual negative rant, shitting on the series. I forgot about that.

But then to get it wrong again about what I said about completing the snapshot challenge, and then be branded a liar?

Pretty much had enough of you, so from the majority of members, and lurkers, you are gone. Anyone reading this and wondering why, select the user and search his post history. But rest assured, he won't be here again, as well as a few others which will no doubt end up on the banned list.

Once again I will remind people the name of this website; Shenmue Dojo. Purpose of this website; fan web-brand dedicated to Shenmue. If you think you are gonna participate here and constantly brand the series with negative comments and think you will develop your own persona as cool or edgy, then you will be saying bye bye sooner rather than later. Anyone any issues with that, then you can come speak to me directly.
You say that like everyone here isn't a dedicated fan, or that our incredibly valid criticisms of this port are tarnishing the original work. Sega gave us ports that had absolutely no business being released and here we've got the moderators instructing us to just take it or risk being banned. This series was revived by vocal fans. Stifling them goes against the very movement that has renewed interest in the series.

User banned for ban evasion.
You say that like everyone here isn't a dedicated fan, or that our incredibly valid criticisms of this port are tarnishing the original work. Sega gave us ports that had absolutely no business being released and here we've got the moderators instructing us to just take it or risk being banned. This series was revived by vocal fans. Stifling them goes against the very movement that has renewed interest in the series.
Absolutely this. And you know what I saw the post Peter made that guy was referencing and I can see where he's coming from. Peter did make it sound as if there was some new content to make up for the exclusions. I think the fans who speak up about the negative aspects in a way are the most passionate, in this case I think Robfoz just wants the HD collection to be as good as it can be.

Let's make a point to the above here. Branding someone a Liar is a personal attack and whatever message is by trying to be conveyed it isn't acceptable here or anywhere else. That stands for any member here and content should be reported if it is felt there is a personal attack.

Second we are not asking people to take the games as they are. Hence the bug reporting which have been passed on and as you can see patches are coming out. Any more then please refer to my previous posts asking you all to let Sega know any issues! I appreciate the frustration (around the communication of fixes etc) but this is not world ending by any stretch. Check out the mostly positive reviews over the internet, PS4, XB1 and steam.

Valid and constructive criticism are welcome (and most people are doing just that) but constant bashing of everything people are doing with the series is not.

We are all passionate fans and want the best for the series and want the HD's and 3 to be the best they can be. Has the HD collection releases been handled well.... we know the answer but we have to ensure moving forward that once fixed the games are promoted for the glorious pieces that they are.

Last edited:
I have several gripes with Shenmue II, not counting the frustrating technical issues like the game being way too dark, broken music in a lot of places, broken darts, and After Burner having no music. It's bizarre how they put like 5 pawnshops in the Wise Men's Quarter alone and then they only put 2 of them in all of Kowloon. The tailing mission with Yuan felt like a chore. This is more of a nitpick than a real complaint but it would've been nice to play lucky hit against female NPCs. I just think it would've added a little more variety, I dunno. And sometimes the guy I just played with walks away then comes back again a minute later. You can ignore them sometimes if you want to play against someone else but the game will usually force you to acknowledge the NPC that walks up to the stand. It would've been great if you could get a job to run a roll it on top stand too. The crate moving stuff doesn't make any sense, just go in a straight line you idiots. I wish they ripped the forklifts out of the original and slapped them on the sequel.

Now my biggest gripes with this game are some of the QTEs especially the ones where time freezes. I forgot how much I hated those, or maybe they didn't irritate me as much back then for some reason. Would it have killed the original devs to implement some kind of checkpoint immediately after winning a fight, and right before the QTEs? I had to start the Dou Niu fight from the beginning so many times because I kept screwing up the damn QTEs since I suck at the ones that require more than a single button press. I rage quit and had another go at it the next day. I ended up caving in and used a guide to help me with the last couple of sequences. I mean, there's no shame in it because that's what they're for, but I was hoping I could do it on my own. It got frustrating against Master Baihu as well although they do give you a checkpoint after you beat him the 2nd time, but you better make sure you don't choke during the QTEs before the cutscene where he's fixing to show you the last trick he has up his sleeve or else you're getting your butt back to the beginning. It's also pretty annoying in some of the lower floors of the Yellow Head building where you have to deal with multiple button QTEs around every corner. And I realize that I just wrote a big rant about these types of QTEs, yet I still would've preferred to just redo the ones in the lower floors of the Yellow Head building when I fail instead of being forced into that awful camera to beat up those goons. Yeah, that camera really sucks, add that to my list of gripes.

And what's up with the QTEs on the top floor of the Ghost Hall building where you either need to know all the buttons from memory, have a guide in front of you, or have super human reaction times? It's so cheap and unnecessary. Despite all of my ranting and raving, Shenmue II is still a great game after all these years since I first beat it on DC in 2002. And I think it has aged better than Shenmue I, even though it has some really rough edges, which is to be expected from a 17 year old game but jeez...

The PC version of the game has been mostly smooth for me thanks to the 1.02 patch and I really can't wait for the console users to get the patch that is coming out this week. In Shenmue I, no cutscene bugs or anything strange like that for me. The only bugs where the inverted harrier controls and the weird move progression issues, but other than that, it has been a good experience. I just started Shenmue II and the only problem I noticed so far is the notebook music being pretty loud, but other than that, I don't notice any music issues, so far.

Last edited:
Speaking of that, it really is throwing me off hearing the male Yuan voice when i use the Japanese dub as someone that has played the EU Dreamcast version of S2 for so many years and hearing the Japanese female voice. Kinda conflicting with my nostalgia. I wouldnt have minded an option to choose which voice of Yuan you would have prefered. Thankfully the dub is an option so opted for that.

Last edited:
I did Hang on the other day with a second to spare... I'm not even going to bother with Space Harrier, one certificate is enough!

I love it. I've always played the EU Dreamcast version (the Xbox version only for two playthroughs, one of them when it got backward compatible on 360). I also own the Japanese Shenmue II, but without subtitles I understand that was only bought a collection item.

So Yuan's male voice is sort of a "new feature" for me :)

Back