General Shenmue & Shenmue II talk

New to the series and so glad that i am playing through a piece of video game history. Having gotten used to the ps4 and the evolution of video games, I didn't think i would be able to get through shenmue and get pass the graphics, but i loved it, finished it and currently playing through shenmue2. I was/probably still a big chinese/asian martial art/cinema enthusiast and love what they created with this game. They nailed the feel and atmosphere/immersion. I dont think any one has produced a city/town environment with as much detail, especially china. Also read about how this game was ground breaking in several ways, and i could see it and appreciate it while playing. I will be finishing and be on the lookout for Shenmue3 with anticipation. I really feel for those who were huge fans of the series, and to wait and not get a conclusion would have been heartbreaking. I feel for you guys. I wonder how many on this site were fans from the early days waiting for the next.

The best guide is one you write yourself. ;)

Duck Racing:

1. Obtain a Bronze Medal. The easiest (and most immersive) way of doing this is to fail the A button QTE in Lai Lai Eatery when chasing Wong, and then compensate the waitress after you've earned some money (i$30). You can also win one from Roll it on Top in Lucky Charm Qr., or find one in the Vacant Lot near the Come Over Guest House (but this is only open after speaking to Izumi and Eileen).

2. Speak to Izumi (Tomato Mart) and Eileen (Pigeon Park). Eileen only appears after you start staying at Da Yuan Apartments.

3. Go to the third floor of the Pine Game Arcade and fight ($20 per attempt). You'll fight Eileen first, and Izumi afterwards. At this point you can optionally go and speak to Izumi and she'll show you her "special place", but this isn't required at this stage.

4. Go to Man Mo Temple and start catching leaves (you must have seen the cutscene where Xiuying is crying over her brother in order for the game to let you catch leaves again). If you catch multiple leaves multiple times in a row, you'll hear a "quack" and see a feather fall down - catch the feather and you'll get the opportunity to catch your very own duck.

5. Go and speak to Izumi and you'll be able to race your own duck ($50 per attempt). Your duck's stats start poor but increase every race depending on how you race. Overshooting corners more will increase your handling faster, going all out running out of energy will increase your stamina faster, etc. Winning a race earns you a Gold Medal.

Extra: After winning the Gold Medal (or sometimes, before - I don't know why though), you'll get the opportunity to race against mallard ducklings, a hen mallard, a drake mallard, and even (if it's raining) a penguin.

Fangmei:

Start Disc 2 of Shenmue II (i.e. start airing out the books) by February 25th. It's possible to complete the birthday sidequest starting later, but this gives you best results on all versions of the game. After airing out the books, talk to Fangmei. Walk away from her, and then walk towards her, and let her start a conversation with you. Many conversations have choices to make, and answering "wrong" will make her stop talking to you, but if you're paying attention the wrong answer should be obvious. Do this about 5-6 times every day.

February 27th: you should be at the point in the story where you can do Chawan signs. Do a Chawan sign at Man Mo Bistro, and follow the directions to Come Over Guest House and then Man Mo Park. Lose the QTE and fight; Xiuying will save you and Fangmei will look after you - this significantly raises her affection level for you. On the Xbox version (and possibly the re-release), Fangmei will not be around after this event.

February 28th: Go to Pigeon Park and talk to Eileen. From tomorrow onwards, both her and Fangmei (even if she previously disappeared) will be in Man Mo Bistro until 1:30pm.

March 1st: Go to Man Mo Bistro and talk to Fangmei and Eileen. Wait outside for the pair to leave, and then follow Eileen until she stops to look at some pots. Talk to her and you'll learn that Fangmei's birthday is on March 3rd.

March 2nd: Repeat the procedure, but this time follow Fangmei. When she passes Complete Clothier, a cutscene will play; head inside the store and buy her a present (for $150 - make sure you have the money!).

March 3rd: Head to Da Yuan Apartments and give her the present.

On your last day in Hong Kong: Head to Da Yuan Apartments and get a very special cutscene. Doing this will also give you a bonus cutscene at the end of the Kowloon part of the game.

Extra: On your first day of airing out the books, don't speak to anyone - just waste the entire day buying capsule toys. On the following day you'll get a cutscene with Fangmei where she tells you the Wulinshu is in the Man Mo Temple library.

Extra: After speaking to Fangmei and Eileen at Man Mo Bistro, head there anytime after 1:30pm for a unique QTE with Fangmei.

Extra: After speaking to Fangmei and Eileen at Man Mo Bistro, do the Chawan sign at Blue Sky Garden for a cutscene with them. They will not be around after this event (so make sure you do it on or after March 3rd).

Extra: After the fight in Dou Jiang Diner, go to the back of Man Mo Temple for yet another cutscene featuring Fangmei.
This is a helpful guide but a couple of things:

March 1st: Go to Man Mo Bistro and talk to Fangmei and Eileen. Wait outside for the pair to leave, and then follow Eileen until she stops to look at some pots. Talk to her and you'll learn that Fangmei's birthday is on March 3rd.

March 2nd: Repeat the procedure, but this time follow Fangmei. When she passes Complete Clothier, a cutscene will play; head inside the store and buy her a present (for $150 - make sure you have the money!).
You can do these on the same day. After you get the info from Eileen immediately go to Three Blades street and you'll get the cutscene.

Extra: After speaking to Fangmei and Eileen at Man Mo Bistro, head there anytime after 1:30pm for a unique QTE with Fangmei.
Are you talking about the one where you save her from the two thugs? It doesn't trigger until saving Zhang and then talking to Joy in the Lucky Charm quarter. It works in the morning too, doesn't have to be after 1:30.

And is the penguin glitched or is it random even if it's raining? It got really cloudy and it took a while to finally rain, when I went to do a race he wasn't there, did a few races anyway but he still wouldn't show up. I already won the gold medal btw. I even beat the brown duck and the one with the green head plus all the ducklings, but then I ran out of money and it stopped raining. Maybe he's supposed to act as a boss or something and he'll show up the next time it rains since I already beat the other really fast ducks.

You can do these on the same day. After you get the info from Eileen immediately go to Three Blades street and you'll get the cutscene.

You can, and I alluded to it in the intro ("it's possible to complete the sidequest starting from a later date") - but you're "supposed" to follow her so I put these as separate dates. After all, you don't actually have to find out the date from Eileen at all.

Are you talking about the one where you save her from the two thugs? It doesn't trigger until saving Zhang and then talking to Joy in the Lucky Charm quarter. It works in the morning too, doesn't have to be after 1:30.

I'll take your word for this - I've always found it to be temperamental myself so...

And is the penguin glitched or is it random even if it's raining? It got really cloudy and it took a while to finally rain, when I went to do a race he wasn't there, did a few races anyway but he still wouldn't show up. I already won the gold medal btw. I even beat the brown duck and the one with the green head plus all the ducklings, but then I ran out of money and it stopped raining. Maybe he's supposed to act as a boss or something and he'll show up the next time it rains since I already beat the other really fast ducks.

The penguin is random, sometimes he just doesn't show up.

You can, and I alluded to it in the intro ("it's possible to complete the sidequest starting from a later date") - but you're "supposed" to follow her so I put these as separate dates. After all, you don't actually have to find out the date from Eileen at all.
You don't? Huh, weird.

I'll take your word for this - I've always found it to be temperamental myself so...
Yes it has to be after you do those things, nothing happens before that.

The penguin is random, sometimes he just doesn't show up.
But I assume it's more likely to happen when it's raining I guess?

The second time I did the birthday quest I did it without transferring a Shenmue I save. I wasn't sure if it would be possible because Feb 23rd is really cutting it close to the deadline of when you should be airing out the books and you have several things to do before you get to that point in the story. I don't know why they decided to have you arrive on Feb 23rd instead of the 15th or the 20th at least. It's like they didn't think about the people that would wanna do this quest at all on the OG Xbox lol. You just kinda have to rush through the first few days and be airing out the books by the 26th. I even wasted the 26th just so I could see the cutscene when Fangmei tells you about Wulinshu the next day and I was only a day behind schedule on DigitalDuck's guide. I recommend doing it this way if you don't care about transferring a save and/or don't wanna waste a bunch of time fast forwarding dates by failing the barber shop QTE or asking for permission to see the master instead of intruding if you get to Hong Kong like a month early.

Just checked this out: we're both right/wrong.

After doing the Chawan sign at Dou Jiang Diner it triggers anytime after 1:30pm on that day. It triggers at any time of day afterwards.

Is a Do Niu even a competent fighter? All he seems to have going for him is his size. I do often wonder why Ryo struggles so much with him when he's fought people like Pedro (a giant) in the first game.

The same goes for the game fading to black when Ryo gets swarmed by multiple opponents in Shenmue 2. It seems a bit odd when he took out 70 men with only the help of Guizhang.

I know it's all for the plot but still.

^ I don't know... I wouldn't buy it on the Switch.
It's cool to hear about the collection potentially coming to another platform, but I don't really see Shenmue as the type of game to play 'on the go'.

^ I don't know... I wouldn't buy it on the Switch.
It's cool to hear about the collection potentially coming to another platform, but I don't really see Shenmue as the type of game to play 'on the go'.

I own the switch and tbh i think the whole "on the go" is just a marketing thing. Sure theoretically you can and people do take handhelds like the switch on holidays. But i dont think i will ever do that, i just use it as a home console as i would the ps4 or X1. Only difference is the portability.

Shenmue isnt a game on the go... BUT it is a great game to play in handheld mode.

I own the switch and tbh i think the whole "on the go" is just a marketing thing. Sure theoretically you can and people do take handhelds like the switch on holidays. But i dont think i will ever do that, i just use it as a home console as i would the ps4 or X1. Only difference is the portability.

Shenmue isnt a game on the go... BUT it is a great game to play in handheld mode.
That's been my experience of it, don't think ours has ever left the house but it gets played in bed a lot.

That's been my experience of it, don't think ours has ever left the house but it gets played in bed a lot.

Exactly, im not bashing or denying that people take it abroad. Since the switch is a great console for trips as is the vita or 3ds.

But the whole on the go thing is more of a marketing plan IMO. The only people that i know who take the switch out of the house are Youtubers like NihongoGamer.

I'd be all over Shenmue on Switch!

Having a full Shenmue experience that I'm able to take with me on trips away from home would be the dream. Not to mention being able to play the game in bed lol. Really hope a Switch port does actually happen.

^ Yeah, perhaps 'on the go' sounded too reductive.
What I meant was that I couldn't imagine myself playing a game like Shenmue in handheld mode.
To each his own I suppose.

If it had come out on Switch alongside PS4 etc. I would've completed both games already because I do the vast majority of my gaming in bed on a handheld. I don't get much of a chance to play on the TV anymore so I always choose Switch over PS4 if I can.

I think I found a Shenmue II reference in Yakuza 0:

382195D829375B6BE2D30465FF77D266751DFC33

Last edited:
Just as I thought, TGS reactions might have got the ball rolling in a positive direction. They need a proper sound engineer as a top priority I would say, I think the community and fans at large can put some of the anxiety at ease, but the past month has been a dark one for shenmue fans.

We've seen darker times, to be quite honest. While at the moment I still prefer the DC versions of I and II, I am glad that I am able to play some QTE title on a PS4 controller. I'm just glad Sega is actually taking the initiative to make things right, something I wouldn't have expected from them.

Hopefully they can fix the god awful sound issues in Shenmue II by the time the Japanese version is released.

We've seen darker times, to be quite honest. While at the moment I still prefer the DC versions of I and II, I am glad that I am able to play some QTE title on a PS4 controller. I'm just glad Sega is actually taking the initiative to make things right, something I wouldn't have expected from them.

Hopefully they can fix the god awful sound issues in Shenmue II by the time the Japanese version is released.

Honestly, the sound in Shenmue II hasn't bothered me. The water sounds in the Shopping Mall, and the fountain in Pigeon Park aside, what's out of place? The music sounded okay, the same as I had remembered it.

The voices, however. Absolutely awful. Shenmue II's voice acting in particular is dreadful. Absolutely dreadful. I'm planning to play both games again in Japanese next time round, and hoping for a better overall experience. It was quite amusing in the first game, but some of the NPC stuff in the second game - it truly is a work of art how bad the acting is. I think a group of children could have done a more realistic job.

Go and speak to Wong-san in the Yan Tin Apartments. :ROFLMAO:

Back