General Shenmue & Shenmue II talk

Honestly, the sound in Shenmue II hasn't bothered me. The water sounds in the Shopping Mall, and the fountain in Pigeon Park aside, what's out of place? The music sounded okay, the same as I had remembered it.

The voices, however. Absolutely awful. Shenmue II's voice acting in particular is dreadful. Absolutely dreadful. I'm planning to play both games again in Japanese next time round, and hoping for a better overall experience. It was quite amusing in the first game, but some of the NPC stuff in the second game - it truly is a work of art how bad the acting is. I think a group of children could have done a more realistic job.

Go and speak to Wong-san in the Yan Tin Apartments. :ROFLMAO:
Tbf I've only ever played 2 in English once and I decided never again . 1 in English has a charm but 2 doesn't.

It would be great if 3 had the option to choose like the HD collection does

i finished shenmue 1 in japanese for the first time. its definitely slightly more difficult.. funny because I have fond memories of s2-dreamcast being quite pleasant to play in Japanese.. were see on that when i come to play it,If I still feel the same way ( my second Playthru of both games will be in purely English- i've never played S2 in English )

I personally think shenmue 1/2 Would hold up a lot better if the dialogue wasn't so clunky and childish. If someone went back, Like Sega and completely change the dialogue and text you could make both games much better. ( Metal gear solid 1 looks pretty poor now, but the natural dialogue make the game stand up quite well)

Definitely digging playing the first game in Japanese for the first time, especially with Dewey's restored audio, but the awkward pauses due to using the English dialogue timing are annoying.

Definitely digging playing the first game in Japanese for the first time, especially with Dewey's restored audio, but the awkward pauses due to using the English dialogue timing are annoying.

Would you count that as a bug that needs reporting?
(I don't remember weird pauses in the Dreamcast versions.)

Edit-
The latest PC patch mentions the following:
• Fixed various issues with lip syncing.

Hopefully that takes care of those weird pauses

I also played Shenmue I in Japanese recently and it was nice but man it had problems with those constant popping noises, and Chai is awful in Japanese. Didn't really care for Master Chen's Japanese voice either.

I also played Shenmue I in Japanese recently and it was nice but man it had problems with those constant popping noises, and Chai is awful in Japanese. Didn't really care for Master Chen's Japanese voice either.

in the japanese version of s1, i also found it a little jarring when you hear english words said by japanese voice actors but the english text doesnt match what they say. :rolleyes:

While I do like the idea of some day getting a bug-free version of S1 & 2 on disc on modern hardware and I certainly love Eigo Kasahara's passion for Shenmue I think we shouldn't get our hopes up too high for the Japanese release. If they want to release the game in late November, they'll probably have to go gold with the discs by late Octorber/early November. Realistically, we will get one more patch from D3T before then, which in all likelihood means, Sega may be able to press PS4 version 1.03 on those discs.

Now we do have to give D3T credit for version 1.02 being a lot more competent than what is on the (Western) discs but I think it will be impossible to patch up all the bugs in time for the Japanese release.

I do think D3T are up to the task if given enough time and resources but asking for a bug-free physical release in Japan would just be too much. We may indeed get a bug-free experience from these games at some point but that's something which may happen next year and certainly not by November of this year.

Personally, my opinion is that D3T should focus on getting move progression, the Arcade games/mini games and the numerous music issues, especially in S2 right for the Japanese release. If they can manage that, it would be fair to call that a version of the games "worthy" of being pressed on disc.

Now will we ever get a bug-free physical version of these games on modern hardware? That's an entirely different matter but I think technically it is possible. If the game sells well enough and Sega do another print of it at some point in the future, they could just put the most advanced versions of the games on disc instead the versions 1.00.

are we even sure that they put a newer version on the "japanese disc"?
maybe they are using the same master but without the other language options
and you have to download the newer updates like everyone else.

i have a lot of GOTY, gold, whatever boxes where its just version 1.0 on the disc and you have to download
the newer updates because its the exact same disc like in the original release.

i think thats even more normal than having a current patched version on the disc.

While I do like the idea of some day getting a bug-free version of S1 & 2 on disc on modern hardware and I certainly love Eigo Kasahara's passion for Shenmue I think we shouldn't get our hopes up too high for the Japanese release. If they want to release the game in late November, they'll probably have to go gold with the discs by late Octorber/early November. Realistically, we will get one more patch from D3T before then, which in all likelihood means, Sega may be able to press PS4 version 1.03 on those discs.
The shortest turn-around time that I've found between a PS4 game going gold (ready for manufacturing) and being released out of cases that were publicly announced was Final Fantasy XV, which was slightly under 5 weeks. Sega likely doesn't have high enough production numbers to be that flexible and their production deadlines are probably known to them. Around right now is what I'm guessing would be the likely cut-off point for them, so what Japan might get on disc could be equivalent to yesterday's PC patch. Which apparently is pretty good now. Not perfect, but much better.

Picked up my current run of Shenmue after a couple weeks of playing other stuff. Finally got the stereo, which completes getting all the stuff from Tomato Convenience Store. hurraay

Final totals to get everything:

62 Chocolates
69 Caramels
59 Potato Chips
Do2JJYXW4AAXoxH.jpg:large

I really hope they patch in the ability to run with the left analog stick in Shenmue 2. The irony about the so call modern controls is that they made the controls in Shenmue 2 worse than the original. I’m so used to running with the left analog stick: you should be able to do it in Shenmue 1 as well.

The shortest turn-around time that I've found between a PS4 game going gold (ready for manufacturing) and being released out of cases that were publicly announced was Final Fantasy XV, which was slightly under 5 weeks. Sega likely doesn't have high enough production numbers to be that flexible and their production deadlines are probably known to them. Around right now is what I'm guessing would be the likely cut-off point for them, so what Japan might get on disc could be equivalent to yesterday's PC patch. Which apparently is pretty good now. Not perfect, but much better.

Yeah, PC always seems to be the first platform to get these patches, with Xbox One and PS4 following afterwards. If they can get PS4 version 1.03 ready before the end of next week it might be just in time for the Japanese discs to go gold using that version. That is if they don't just put version 1.00 on all the discs randomly and have the players download all the updates regardless in what region they're in, like Tosh said.

I've been working on my playthrough of Shenmue II on PS4 now that I finished Yakuza Kiwami 2 last weekend.

Made it to Kowloon recently, and I'm impressed by the effort that they put into getting the original Japanese dub back. By this, I mean I already knew that they gender swapped the subtitles from reading comments in other threads, but I wasn't sure how far beyond that they went. When you're looking for Yuan, I intentionally switched the audio language between English and Japanese to see that the subtitles updated accordingly and in some cases the conversation itself. When listening to the wiretapper cassette tape, they also retained the suggestive cat conversation that was replaced with the arcade games report in the previous English releases and so they had to create subtitles for it for the first time

After about 2.5 hours of Lucky Hit Challenge, I managed to get Heel Sweep and whatever the other move scroll was. Heel sweep took me less than 30 minutes, followed by 90 minutes of no luck then I went to bed. Tried again today and got the other one in under 30 minutes. (Real time, not in game) This will be the first time I've had the patience to get all move scrolls.

On an annoying note, although they didn't patch the map glitch in this version (good), they seem to have made it less useful. Not sure if they did it intentionally or not, but you can't use it to climb the stairs in the Ghost Hall building. My last couple playthroughs on Dreamcast, I would just skip the planks and map glitch up the stairs, but in this version it seems that you warp through the floor to the previous level if you try to do it. Maybe it's just harder, but I tried for a good 15 minutes to get past the barricade and just kept warping through the floor instead.

On an annoying note, although they didn't patch the map glitch in this version (good), they seem to have made it less useful. Not sure if they did it intentionally or not, but you can't use it to climb the stairs in the Ghost Hall building. My last couple playthroughs on Dreamcast, I would just skip the planks and map glitch up the stairs, but in this version it seems that you warp through the floor to the previous level if you try to do it. Maybe it's just harder, but I tried for a good 15 minutes to get past the barricade and just kept warping through the floor instead.

They haven't changed the way the map glitch works at all. You must be doing it wrong.

They haven't changed the way the map glitch works at all. You must be doing it wrong.
It must be different between the Dreamcast and Xbox version then, because on Dreamcast I could just map glitch up to the next set of stairs and glitch through them without dropping a floor. Didn't need to worry about how far up you were, whereas in the speed runs they either have to go backwards or stop on the very first step.

The last time I did it on Dreamcast it always worked first try for me, here I spent 15 minutes and kept popping through the floor and eventually gave up and just did the QTEs.

Edit: I went back and managed to do it. You need to start half a floor below where you want to go like in that video so that the gate hasn't spawned yet. I don't remember having to do that on the DC version. Maybe it's just a coincidence and I'm remembering wrong, but I should probably go and test DC again at some point.

Last edited:
It must be different between the Dreamcast and Xbox version then, because on Dreamcast I could just map glitch up to the next set of stairs and glitch through them without dropping a floor. Didn't need to worry about how far up you were, whereas in the speed runs they either have to go backwards or stop on the very first step.

The last time I did it on Dreamcast it always worked first try for me, here I spent 15 minutes and kept popping through the floor and eventually gave up and just did the QTEs.

Edit: I went back and managed to do it. You need to start half a floor below where you want to go like in that video so that the gate hasn't spawned yet. I don't remember having to do that on the DC version. Maybe it's just a coincidence and I'm remembering wrong, but I should probably go and test DC again at some point.

You've always needed to start half a floor below.

There are three different "states" of map glitch, that vary depending on where you do it. When starting from flat ground as you're describing, it's impossible to pass through solid objects (although it's still possible to pass through triggers). To pass through the barriers on the stairs, you need to either do a standard stairs map glitch (in which the obstacle won't be solid as you haven't reached that floor yet), or a "slow" stairs map glitch (in which you can pass through solid objects too).

Not sure how others did it, but it was usually 3 or 4 steps from the top of whatever steps you were on, then when the map came up, it was 11 steps to the left. A visual aid was that the red dot would land on the right hand side of the hanging light...

I guess people have different techniques, but when I tried it in the re-releases it worked the same for me.

can't believe people actually played this game with the english voice overs. Best to stick with japanese
I love the cheesy voice acting in both games. It adds so much charm. I know this is divisive but I willl forever love the voice acting in both games.

Back