General Virtua Fighter Talk

As long as people people support the game and stress the importance of supporting the game, I'm cool with any criticism really. That's the only part that REALLY matters to me.

I think some people just had really unrealistic expectations of the game (not a diss to you otbr87, I totally get how someone could prefer FS based on difference of appearance in characters alone). At least for me, I just wanted the best fighting game ever made available on modern platforms at 1080p, the graphical rework was simply icing on the cake.
That's how I figured it too regarding supporting the title. They could literally serve us up a pile of trash VF remaster and I would have supported it if there is hope to get something new and fresh from the franchise. They put in an effort with this game to some degree and its a decent refresh, but there are a lot of people claiming its the best thing ever or the best fighting title, which its neither from a technical standpoint and the poor sales after its off PS Plus will reflect that undoubtedly. Whether or not anyone likes the other fighting franchises better or VF better theres a reason they've stayed relevant and have made tons of money for their studios over the years. Sega is stuck in the past with the way they present these titles and US shows that as well. Ultimate Showdown is by no means a bad title, its just nothing to write home about and I'm not confident in its staying power from a sales standpoint after the 2 months of PS Plus is done. I really hope to be proved wrong because the better it sells over the long term the better chance of us seeing a new VF game, where they can get serious about giving us a next gen more fleshed out experience and hopefully for the first time a VF title that dives deep into the games real potential as the franchise has so much potential to share itself and it only seems to focus on the fighting mechanics part. Keep that and add more to fill in the holes and it could potentially outsell the other 3D fighting titles. Personally, my expectations weren't very high given that it's a port of a 15 year old game from a console gen and era that isn't really well developed yet, but I was hoping it would at least feel more enjoyable than FS does. I've played FS every night this week but haven't touched US since the second day I bought it. Think about the potential of a new VF title though on these new 2020 era consoles. Look at games like Tekken 6's story mode, in the bigger picture its trash, but in 2007 it was about as good as we could get during that console era for a story mode, even though the gameplay was solid for a Tekken title. Tekken 7 story improved a bit more but by the time the 2013 consoles were out the way story mode was presented falls way short on the potential of what the last gen consoles can do. So with these new powerhouse consoles they can give any game of any genre a real opportunity to shine, and VF being a product connected to the man that made Shenmue has SOOOOO much untapped potential to be one of the best overall fighting games ever made, if not the best but there's no way that can happen if they just keep focusing on the fighting mechanics only that have remained mostly unchanged since VF4, people get bored with no character connections, plot or story to tell and that explains why most younger people haven't heard of VF or when it gets compared to Tekken it usually gets less credit.

You have miss completly the point of the game being in PS Plus, Sega is not trying to make money with sales with VF5US, it is trying to bring old fans, casual players and people that plays other fighting games into the franchise. It is like saying that releasing Shenmue HD was worst than not releasing it towards Shenmue III. The game is going to be free for 2 months, I have encounter A LOT of users with customized characters (this is money in the bank already). I have played more online matches in 1 week in US than in 2 months in FS when it was released on the 360. People are explosed to a previously dormant franchise, twitchers are streaming, Youtube videos are blooming, the online community is active and Sega has stated that more people than expected is playing.

About story mode, VF has always been thin on that aspect, the only thing I need when (and I say when, not if) the release VF6 will be a Quest/World Tour mode

You have miss completly the point of the game being in PS Plus, Sega is not trying to make money with sales with VF5US, it is trying to bring old fans, casual players and people that plays other fighting games into the franchise. It is like saying that releasing Shenmue HD was worst than not releasing it towards Shenmue III. The game is going to be free for 2 months, I have encounter A LOT of users with customized characters (this is money in the bank already). I have played more online matches in 1 week in US than in 2 months in FS when it was released on the 360. People are explosed to a previously dormant franchise, twitchers are streaming, Youtube videos are blooming, the online community is active and Sega has stated that more people than expected is playing.

About story mode, VF has always been thin on that aspect, the only thing I need when (and I say when, not if) the release VF6 will be a Quest/World Tour mode
I agree on the PS Plus move being great for the franchise. Prior to its release I had concerns that it wasn't a good move, but someone mentioned the benefits of it(it may have even been you?)about a week ago and I've shared the same thoughts as that being the best possible way to gain interest in the franchise with bringing back old players as well as introducing it to new players who enjoy the other fighting franchises. My concern is more about what happens after it leaves PS Plus and PS Now both from a sales standpoint and from a community standpoint. If Sega drops a VF6/reboot within a year from now then I can see this being a great idea as its giving a taste to players. If they release more costume customization options for Ultimate Showdown that would also help.

If they don't include a fully engaging story mode for VF6 or a reboot the game will have wasted that potential considering the year and console era were in. It was cool in the 90s and even early 00s to not have a story mode, cutscenes or endings due to technology limitations of those consoles, but theres really no excuse starting with the XB1/PS4 to not include that. Mortal Kombat 11 , X and 9 have sold better than all the other previous titles because both gamers and casual players a like want more than just a paper thin fighting experience. Even DOA and Tekken give a story mode(albeit they're a bit broken and ridiculous at times, but its better than nothing). Its the one place where VF lacks and is most likely why the franchise hasn't been relevant in a decade and is only getting a chance to be again now with this taste test of 5US. Sega will be missing the boat and a big opportunity if they pump out a new VF title without a deep story mode. I'm down with a VF6, but I'd rather see a reboot since many new players entering the franchise don't even know whats at the base of the franchise, and since it's never been displayed in a capacity outside of the owners manuals, it makes sense to work with what they have and focus it around Akira somehow since he seems to be the face of the product.

I agree it lacks on story (or at least exposed to player story, like you have to know who won the tournaments in the booklet) since everytime you completed the Arcade mode you never got a single video or anything (and there were promo videos for VF3 for example with render stuff). Not sure if Sega will follow that or will focus on eSports exclusively. Would I like a MK style Story mode? Not sure. Will I like more unlockable stuff including at least some artwork? For sure.

My theory is that they will support VF5US until 2023 and then release VF6 in the 30th anniversary of the franchise. About sales, if it is true that is coming to Xbox, PC an Switch it will sell ok, also the game has not been expensive to made, so easy to get back the intiial investment. If you check Harada's bar he also said that he thinks that VF5US is some kind of weather balloon, and this man has been making fighting games since Tekken 3, so he knows a little bit bout marketing and measuring techniques.

Even if there were a handful of still images for each fighter's story with narrated text like MK's arcade endings, that would be enough IMO

It's a shame it needs all of that, because the game is so much fun. I don't need ANY story or even a rewarding single player mode. Not saying they woulddn't help grow the game's audience but damn people need to realize what a great core game VF5 is. Now, if they could get an amazing tutorial in the next VF like the one in VF4: Evo, that would help.

Starting to really get the hang of Akira. He's a lot of fun once you get his rhythm down.

Akira and pai are my mains going forward. Might branch out to others down the road, such as lau, but right now im sticking with these two

This game is so good

Starting to really get the hang of Akira. He's a lot of fun once you get his rhythm down.

Akira and pai are my mains going forward. Might branch out to others down the road, such as lau, but right now im sticking with these two

This game is so good
Proud personal moment was getting the hang of Akira in VF3. Most of my experience coming from the Shenmue VF engine, the biggest adjustments are slower speed, heavier weight and using down diagonal due to arcade 8-directions for some of the better moves

Proud personal moment was getting the hang of Akira in VF3. Most of my experience coming from the Shenmue VF engine, the biggest adjustments are slower speed, heavier weight and using down diagonal due to arcade 8-directions for some of the better moves
Yeah the weight took some getting use to.

This new VF is literally shenmue 2 kowloon street fights on crack. I love it.

I frequently get bodied by Akira players. Dude can seriously wreck guys like me. I love pretending he’s Ryo. I know he isn’t, but it makes the whole game that much more fun to me.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Sad but true. Even though it's not a good value for the full price, and even though I thought it would be better than Final Showdown, aaaaannnd even though I said I wasn't sure if I regretted buying it from a quality standpoint, I'm still happy to support VF5US if we can get a VF6 or better yet a VF to reboot out of it.
I can not say I agree but I understand where both sides are coming from. I think this critic has the best of intentions in mind as they want Virtua Fighter to thrive. Those who want Rollback netcode just want the game to run optimally online versus other players. Extending the series to other platforms might have more reach to grow the series. Adding in more single-player content would make the game more robust. So I understand that the criticism is coming from a place of care and concern.

However, where I will deviate is this notion that Ultimate Showdown is not worth its value. For thirty to forty dollars you are getting the deepest and most sincere fighting in existence. Especially when you consider that video games range anywhere from sixty to over a hundred dollars to offer the same amount of content and may still fall behind. That is not even taking into account the updated User Interface, Improved Graphics, and making the series even more accessible to a contemporary audience.

Sometimes I wonder if gamers believe in the mantra of "Gameplay is King" when they are criticizing Virtua Fighter for not offering features that would appeal to more casual players. I apologize if this sounds elitist, but if you are not looking for a pure fighting experience then Virtua Fighter is not for you.

Fuk it, im taking my noob Akira into ranked. Wish me luck lol
Well that went better than expected.

Hunter rank already :)

IMG_20210608_211357.jpg

IMG_20210608_211415.jpg

Had to learn Akira out of respect for Ryo.

Akira is so good once you get him down.

Absolutely love hitting that body check looking move when opponents whif their attacks. Have to make, master sun and master bei proud

Last edited:
Well that went better than expected.

Hunter rank already :)

View attachment 11701

View attachment 11702

Had to learn Akira out of respect for Ryo.

Akira is so good once you get him down.

Absolutely love hitting that body check looking move when opponents whif their attacks. Have to make master sun and master bei proud
Holy fuck at that win/lose ratio, I didn't realize you guys were so good at this.

Thanks guys. I don't know how accurate that number is. I spent 10 + hours playing online with Pai and managed to get her to a hunter rank. My win ratio with her is about 68 - 70%. Once you reach hunter rank, it ranks up all your characters to 6th Dan.

That experience with Pai allowed me to get a good feel for Virtua Fighter, along side the mechanics, combo structure etc. I took Akira from 6th Dan all the way to Hunter rank (I won 21 games and lost 2 with a 90% W/L record) However, im sure that will get lower as i rise through the higher ranks and face more challenging opponents. It will probably be 60% + this time next month

That said. I feel more comfortable with Akira than Pai at the moment, which is insane. He just feels right and is so strong

Fun fact, i only wanted to learn Akira, Pai and Lau because they look like Ryo, Shenhua and Lan Di. Very simple minded creature i am lol

I bet you'll be shocked when you return to Shenmue 1 & 2 and crush all your fights.

I can not say I agree but I understand where both sides are coming from. I think this critic has the best of intentions in mind as they want Virtua Fighter to thrive. Those who want Rollback netcode just want the game to run optimally online versus other players. Extending the series to other platforms might have more reach to grow the series. Adding in more single-player content would make the game more robust. So I understand that the criticism is coming from a place of care and concern.

However, where I will deviate is this notion that Ultimate Showdown is not worth its value. For thirty to forty dollars you are getting the deepest and most sincere fighting in existence. Especially when you consider that video games range anywhere from sixty to over a hundred dollars to offer the same amount of content and may still fall behind. That is not even taking into account the updated User Interface, Improved Graphics, and making the series even more accessible to a contemporary audience.

Sometimes I wonder if gamers believe in the mantra of "Gameplay is King" when they are criticizing Virtua Fighter for not offering features that would appeal to more casual players. I apologize if this sounds elitist, but if you are not looking for a pure fighting experience then Virtua Fighter is not for you.
This is the best post I’ve ever read on any forum.

"Fun fact, i only wanted to learn Akira, Pai and Lau because they look like Ryo, Shenhua and Lan Di. Very simple minded creature i am lol"
Given Ryo and Akiras common origin I have often wondered over the years if Pai Chan in any way influenced Shenhua given the similarity of visuals, her energy and the general presentation of the character. I never gave thought to the Lau/Lan Di part, but thats a 'hmmmm' moment as well.

So I guess you're not supposed to duck and guard too often? That's good to know...20 hours into the game. I really need to spend more time practicing! I'm getting there.

Back