How are you enjoying Shenmue 3 (No spoilers please)

Honestly, it feels like coming home again, as if Yu Suzuki hadn’t forgotten what makes Shenmue so appealing to me. The environments in Shenmue III (especially in Bailu Village) are absolutely gorgeous. They are so colorful, vibrant, and full of life like a painting. The world is rich and abundant with detail which gives the world and its characters personality. For example, I was surprised when I saw a diesel-powered generator at Shenhua’s house due to her rural nature. However, in context, it makes perfect sense. Along with the abundant amount of detail comes the ethereal atmosphere Shenmue is known for.

I turned off the excellent music, so I could let the sounds of nature soak in. The chirping of the birds and the flow of the river was soothing while I was chopping wood for money or training. The quiet moments in Shenmue are honestly one of my favorite aspects of the series.

Though one of my favorite things in this game is coming home to Shenhua and just talking with her. I love the dialogues I am having with her because they feel authentic. I am learning more about her, and she’s becoming a much more “human” character to me. As weird as it is to say, I think this is one of the newer things in-game I enjoy most because it feels like Ryo is coming home to his wife.

The only thing I am honestly adjusting to is the combat system and the new command inputs. Though I am willing to put in the work to learning them instead of button mashing or relying on the auto command.

Between the new training system, the quiet atmosphere, gorgeous environments, large amounts of detail, and chatting with Shenhua at the end of the day, I am absolutely enamored with this game. Like I have said on Twitter, this game is not just my game of the year, it’s my game of the decade. Shenmue III still conveys that rich spiritual atmosphere that I love so very much.

Last edited:
It feels like Shenmue, and that's all I ever wanted. Having discussions with Shenhua at night is really cool and my favorite bit so far. My biggest gripe is the food/stamina thing; totally unnecessary addition. Oh and the fighting feels different. I wish it were Virtua Fighter controls like the older games.

The sky box looks great in this game. Feels very much like a classic Sega game. When the clouds clear away and you have a full blue sky its beautiful, and it looks even better at night when the stars are twinkling in the night sky... lovely. Its also one of the few games I've played where at night it gets damn dark, like you'd expect.

Musically it just gets better, easily my favourite part of the game. Voice acting is good in Japanese, so glad it was an option for this game, it just feels natural.

Only thing that bothers me is the cuts between conversations. I mean, it barely bothers me at all, I expected worse reading day 1 impressions but its noticeable - quite like how in Yakuza when skipping through (text) conversations with the characters contorting in weird ways as they flail around (animations are tied to text speed - rushing through text yielded some hilarious results).

Finally opened a new part of the town up, so the next day should be very interesting indeed. I almost had White Tiger today, had him down to just one hit. With a little refinement to my strategy I should have him.

"PS4 Physical Game has Not Arrived"

...o_O!

Kiba to Fangamer: "Hand over the PS4 Collector's Edition, or else... your son!"

Besides that (albeit on PC like a barbarian), I'm seamlessly continuing the spiritual experience that left me trapped in a cave 18 years ago -- an Asian cave so deep, so improbable to escape, that even Elon Musk wouldn't make us a submarine. But Sony did.

Yu Suzuki & AM2 (muscle memory from forum Gon) Ys Net have made us an incredible game.

Last edited:
Just a heads up, you're gonna have to delete the pre-loaded version and install it all over again directly from the disc if you want to play early. Using a disc doesn't unlock the already installed digital version. Digital and physical are separate installs on the PS4 so if you want to play it without the disc after release you'll have to uninstall again and download the digital version.
That's the same thing I did uninstalled the digital version I guess tomorrow I'll dowload it again. So far I'm liking the game and lucky hit is more fun.

I dont know how that message came up. I been playing Shenmue 3 nonstop this is the best game ever made. Im still in Bailu Village Im trying not to rush through the story so i been Training alot and talking to everybody in the game. Im so impressed with this game Yu Suzuki is a very smart man.

So I played a little longer today (still not much since the 1.02 patch just finally finished downloading).

It's not perfect...but it sure does feel like Shenmue. The controls are better than my initial impression. Again, not perfect, but really not bad. Something about how the background moves hurts my eyes a little, but that's common for me. I can't play Breath of the Wild for a real long time or I get a headache, so I'm not saying it's the game. It's probably my eyes. I feel like my PS4 fan goes a little crazy a lot. But if I'm honest, I don't play many games on it. So that might be normal, it's louder than my Switch (of course), but I guess it's a lot quieter than the Dreamcast was!

Anyway...I only did the first day. I think overall it looks great visually. There are things to nitpick. But really, when I went to the shop and looked around, and got back to Shenhua's house and start looking in cabinets, and looking into the "mundane"...it's just kind of crazy to be playing a legitimate new Shenmue. Love it. After reading about Lucky Hit, I was expecting it to play worse, but honestly, it feels a lot like it did in II to me. No complaints.

Tonight I used Japanese dialogue. I really do like Corey Marshall, but I think I prefer Japanese, but I'm not positive which I'll stick with. I played I in English (US version) and II in Japanese (imported PAL version). So they are both nostalgic for me.

All things considered, I'm feeling very excited to put more time in this weekend. Great job Yu & team!

"PS4 Physical Game has Not Arrived"

...o_O!

Kiba to Fangamer: "Hand over the PS4 Collector's Edition, or else... your son!"

Besides that (albeit on PC like a barbarian), I'm seamlessly continuing the spiritual experience that left me trapped in a cave 18 years ago -- an Asian cave so deep, so improbable to escape, that even Elon Musk wouldn't make us a submarine. But Sony did.

Yu Suzuki & AM2 have made us an incredible game.
AM2 did not have anything to do with this game, Ys Net is Yu's new team.

I feel like I'm getting close to the last like quarter of the game, and I'm still absolutely in love with it.

except for the battle system. I'd give anything to have the original back. No matter how many fights I do, I can't get used to it. I'm probably not training nearly enough and should turn it on easy, but I'm stubborn and just wanna beat it on normal lmao.

The fights have always been the part I cared about least on Shenmue tho.

Just reached the arcade, loving the games included, I don't really miss AM2 games not included because Yakuza has me covered there, I love the mechanical games, its a great change of pace. Plus the look of getting stuff, trading it in, cashing that in. Its incredibly addictive.

I went in pretty set for heartbreaking realization that the budget would hinder Yu Suzuki's ability to deliver a satisfying gaming or Shenmue experience. I'm not finished yet but it would have to take a gameplay collapse of absolutely colossal proportions to change my sheer utter delight of how deep, detailed and well executed this game is. I have nitpicks of course but this is a better experience than I could ever hope to ask for given all the conditions.

Without watching Livestreams and in the Spoiler-Forum (i watch them later after my playthrough). ;-) I enjoy it very much so far.

So them lip syncing is a bit jarring at first,you get used to it though,i mostly read the subtitles during the conversations.The games growing on me thru day 5.I wish the days were longer though.....I can only accomplish two things i want to do a day.

I'm (supposedly) halfway in.
Loving it so far... not nearly as polished and chiseled as S1/S2, but they did a great job at keeping the spirit and character intact.
That was my main concern, that was not to be taken for granted, but I think they actually nailed it and if feels quite surreal to actually be playing "Shenmue 3".

I’m completely floored with how much they were able to pull off. I gotta let some of the recency bias wear off, but this might be my favorite Shenmue ever.

I will say the combat sucks and no throws leaves a huge void. At one point, I got so frustrated with the shallow combat that I literally started mashing buttons hoping a throw would magically come out. The music at some points feels straight up buggy. Outside of those two things, I have no major complaints.

Really enjoying it at the moment, probably played for six hours, currently looking for a drunk dude named Sun? Exactly what I hoped for tbh :LOL:

I'm still super early on in the story. Taking my time talking to every character I can, seeking out side quests (which I only recently learnt is a thing!) and also trying to collect capsules etc.

I don't understand why some people are rushing the story. I see plenty already discussing the ending. What the fuck? I will stay dark for some time. We still have years for Shenmue 4 (if we even get it). Soak it all in people!

Back