How strong do you feel about Shenmue 3 now?

高野和泉

"SAKURA FESTIVAL!"
I'm curios how optimistic people are still about this game. With lots of Big named IP Triple-A titles on the Horizon think S3 can still make a big enough splash to be commercially and critically successful since it'll be releasing soon/next year? Is your trust in Yu Suzuki still rock solid?

To be honest...After all the news waves since E3 2018 featuring anticipated games and all of this NEXT-GEN CONSOLES talk now happenning I'm a little bit shaken in my faith. :(:cautious:

Shenmue will be fine. There's a big enough base on steam and ps4 to make it successful, plus nutters like us will probably buy multiple copies.

I just hope the groupthink of the gaming media will be on the side of Shenmue 3 when it releases. That will make the process a lot more smoother.

A good marketing campaign would go a long way aswell. Hopefully Sony pull through on their end of the deal and promote heavily like their other ips.

I'm strangely not that arsed about it. The only reason why I'll play it shortly after release is because everyone on here's gonna be bangin on about it n probably ruin the story for me.

I'm sure that Shenmue 3 will do pretty good. At least good enough to warrant a Shenmue 4 and perhaps finish off the saga.

As for next gen, the only thing that that has done for me is diminish my faith that the entire Shenmue series will be available on one console. There's no way a potential Shenmue IV would be released before the time PS5 hits and I would see it possibly making the leap to the new generation of systems. It could easily end up being a cross gen game as well and I would be fine with that, but the problem is that there's no way to tell if Sony will offer PS4 backwards compatibility in the PS5. They would be smart too as that would make me adopt the system sooner, but it's really the only way that Shenmue's entire series would be playable on a single console.

I would remind the PC players that I'm talking about consoles. Not platforms or systems as a grey area that PC would be included.

In terms of what the game wants to be--very strong. I have no doubts about Suzuki not knowing what he wants from it. He's had over 15 years to think about it. The thing should be pretty solid at least on a high level. He's also made 2 of these already.

In technical terms, not quite as strong. How big and advanced is the game really? How big is the budget? From the surface it looks pretty good now, but I don't believe what I see. Not yet. :sneaky:

In terms of it actually selling... this is where I get into the no so sure territory. Shenmue is what it is, or assuming at least it still would be. Don't know of course. On the other hand, now that we have stuff like Edith Finch, etc. and the east asian cultures being more mainstream, the world may have finally turned enough for the game to start resonating on a larger scale. :unsure:

In terms of story, Im hoping we won’t get a crazy ass cliffhanger LOL

I’m hoping the game will still largely stay true to the first two but still have its own identity.

To put it simply, I’m just hoping for the best.

It's dead to me.
Well, if we were in Bizarro World at least.

In general, since the announcement I'm mostly taking it easy and waiting for specific gameplay details, a more substantial trailer and so on. What we've seen until now showed a few interesting things but it's hard to base an opinion just on that. As for commercial success, according to Cedric, they wouldn't need sales like AAA-games for it to be profitable and allow development of the next game.

In terms of story, Im hoping we won’t get a crazy ass cliffhanger

I remember reading an interview years ago where Yu said that Shenmue III would have some sort of satisfying conclusion. There might have been changes during development now of course but I guess that he's largely following his original plan since he didn't want to end with Shenmue III.

Last edited:
After seeing that warehouse batetl screenshot I am feeling very confident in the games production, I'm really waiting for a trailer which I am hoping will hit by Gamescom, but when it does... i think it will leave a very strong impression :)

It looks really good. I cannot wait to play it.

I think it will be fine as mentioned above lots of us will buy lots of copies as gifts etc to help it along. Also over the course of development we have seen consistent improvements. All we need now is some gameplay and then let the hype commence.

Still extremely optimistic. It wasn't too long ago that I'd have settled for anything which continued the story, so the fact that this is happening at all (and looks great) is incredible. You'd imagine that if the engine/assets are already created for 3 it should be much easier and cheaper to make 4, although I could be showing my lack of game dev knowledge here

I'm optimistic, too. We want a sequel and we get it. Shenmue is no mainstream it's a special game-series and not a Ubi-Soft-EA-like-Game. I like that Yu have not showing us so much about Shenmue III and we have the chance of a surprise at a full reveal. That Battle-Screenshot is a good example. I looking forward in the future and to 2019.

I can't wait to play it. Expectations aren't super high, but I know it'll be as good as it can. As long as we don't get into Duke Nukem Forever territory I think we'll be happy.

Very optimistic. We're finally getting to see what the finished product looks like and it looks fantastic. Just look at the warehouse batte screenshot, that is exactly what a next-gen Shenmue game should look like.

It will be fine. I am not that graphics fanboy and I even was very happy with the quality of the gamescom Teaser Trailer from 2017.The game has technically evolved since then and I am sure it will look decent for a modern game. Maybe not the best looking game but still solid. I care more about gameplay and story than graphics though and I am optimistic that Yu Suzuki can still deliver a great game.

Can't wait to play it.

I'm becoming more and more optimistic. I have absolute faith in the development team.

This is pure Shenmue. To me, at least.
Yeah the graphics look good. Based on what we have seen so far I would say only the facial animations need to be improved a bit imho.

I am very curious about the new fighting system.

I think with all the attention it's garnered it will sell decently due to people wanting to know how it turned out and it already having quite a few fans that have been waiting all these years. As for reception, I imagine larger outlets calling it "good but a bit ugly" while smaller outlets praising it for bringing back the shenmue experience.

Hoping for the best but expecting the worst.
Are you gonna drop the bomb or not?

The latest screen gave me quite a lot of hope for the game. It is reasonable to expect we will reach the High Ground system, plus all the others may be implemented due to Deep Silver's injection of funds. I think they all will, but they can't say that as no one would help continue to fund the game.

I think a delay to 2019 was both to ensure a quality product and implement as much as they can.

I'm not too worried about the project, considering it has a lot of time probably left on the development. We haven't gotten our Trial Version as of yet.

Bloodstained was said to be a 2018 title, but as of August they are working on improving the game from feedback from the E3 beta backer demo. It is definitely not making this year.

Back