IGN's Esra Krabbe - Shenmue 3 editorial (MAGIC '19)

like tripping your opponent.

This move never used the throw button (B), so it’s very possible it will still be there.

Overall I’m not too concerned about the lack of throw moves, although I really, really hope they are able to implement Machine Gun Fist somehow, as I absolutely love that move. It used the B button but wasn’t technically a throw move. We’ll see.

Throws is very important to me via world/character building since it's a staple "heritage art".

Plus the animation on them look cool and a fav past time of mines is that I like to see how they play out on different opponents(Since every fighter/NPC is unique).

But this isn't a perfect world so I'm willing to forgive since Yu's working on a budget. At least he acknowledges that he tried to implement them. Seems promising that they'll return in S4 so I can live with that hope for now and when it's time to "remake" S3 proper SEGA will finish the job.

We'll learn to live without them.

But again - this fighting engine has been built from the ground up and the game balanced around it. It would be a very different story if they'd unplugged throws from Shenmue and Shenmue II, but they haven't and I expect in practical terms they won't be hugely missed.

When they return in Shenmue IV, they'll be a value-added function, not some crucial missing piece of the puzzle.

"It's a shame that Ryo's eating is not animated, as food is consumed from your inventory Ina similar vein as in the Yakuza games, rather than an evolution of how he would consume soft drinks from a vending machine in previous games"

This is actually pretty disappointing ... hopefully there will be some animation in some cases, like on the street, maybe later in a DLC. I didn't think I'd care that much about something very banal but there you go.

"It's a shame that Ryo's eating is not animated, as food is consumed from your inventory Ina similar vein as in the Yakuza games, rather than an evolution of how he would consume soft drinks from a vending machine in previous games"

This is actually pretty disappointing ... hopefully there will be some animation in some cases, like on the street, maybe later in a DLC. I didn't think I'd care that much about something very banal but there you go.
yeah man. The iconic sounds Ryo makes drinking jetcola and stuff. Imagine what would be like to see Ryo eating 10 shenhua chocolates at a time...

i think stuff like this is a simple budget and time problem. there have to be some sacrifices in some ways
to maintain most of the core gameplay and vision. their main target was probably just to get the story to work.
things like changing Ryos clothes were already mentioned in interviews in 2015.
we get some new things and there will be things that are gone.

there are some snippets in the Monaco articles that sound like we just have to live with some restrictions.

"Shenmue III’s environments and game systems don’t seem to be as deep
and sophisticated as they were in the original games."
"Ryo will no longer be able to talk to every character"
"The characters and their animations might not live up to modern standards"
"... Shenmue III’s battle system might not be as deep as the originals."
"What I saw of the training gameplay seemed pretty straightforward and might quickly feel repetitive ..."
"Ryo’s eating is not animated, as food is consumed from your inventory in a similar vein as in the Yakuza games"
"... we had to give up on implementing throw moves this time."
"The battle system and part-time jobs don’t feel as fleshed out as before ..."
"... a game that focuses on its true essence."

i think the best way for us would be to just accept that there will be restrictions
and concentrade on the things that are in the game
and not on the things that are missing.

I think there will be a drinking animation for old time's sake when Ryo finds a vending machine (likely on the boat).

You surely not doing it with that message. LOL

its just to show that there will be changes and restrictions in almost all areas of the game.
we can talk about "hopefully that, hopefully this" but its already clear that they had to make sacrifices.
if we talk about "they will improve this by 100% and they will add this guaranteed and they will patch that"
everyday until the release date, we all will just be disappointed.
so its better to just accept these things right now.

"What I saw of the training gameplay seemed pretty straightforward and might quickly feel repetitive ..."
"Ryo’s eating is not animated, as food is consumed from your inventory in a similar vein as in the Yakuza games"

"... dental plan ..."
"... Lisa needs braces."

Tbf not that many games have eating animations and the ones that do tend to have huge budgets.

Witcher 3 is one game that doesn't and that's a damn good game. Most of its system is menu based. You can't talk to everyone there and it doesn't lose charm at all.

Sacrifices had to be made but I don't doubt the story or depth of characters we will see.

I'm going to enjoy the build up here as never in my wildest dreams did I think Shenmue 3 would happen .

I think there will be a drinking animation for old time's sake when Ryo finds a vending machine (likely on the boat).

That would be lovely! Well, at least there will be foods, and street vendors, maybe Ryo can buy stuff from them. Always wanted to buy stuff from the wok masters in Kowloon, just a bowl of smt.

I'm beyond excited for the mini-games, they all sound ace. Just 5 more months, which is another very pleasing thingy; they're on schedule! Time to book some days off.

I don't really understand the comment about the environments not being as deep as the previous games. From what I gather from all the screenshots since the game went into prototype stage, all the way to the current "crunch" cycle, the environments have been beautiful and meticulously detailed. They are undisputedly more gorgeous now than what was achieved in the prior games. Take for example the boats on the dock, beside the setting sun, or the details on the boat with transparent windows in front of gorgeous paintings, or the Niaowu tourist street with globally illuminated lanterns, with lights casting real time shadows. Or how as Yu Suzuki mentions the effects due to the weather with how footprints are left in the mud for hours. And then there are the cliffs and forestry with the light of the sun bouncing off and through the leafs, and the enchanting glimmer of the sun on the rocks of the cliffs. The sky and the clouds are similarly impressive, and react naturally and realistically.

So... unless, they mean there are a lot of invisible walls, I don't understand how the environments arent as deep.

I don't really understand the comment about the environments not being as deep as the previous games. From what I gather from all the screenshots since the game went into prototype stage, all the way to the current "crunch" cycle, the environments have been beautiful and meticulously detailed. They are undisputedly more gorgeous now than what was achieved in the prior games. Take for example the boats on the dock, beside the setting sun, or the details on the boat with transparent windows in front of gorgeous paintings, or the Niaowu tourist street with globally illuminated lanterns, with lights casting real time shadows. Or how as Yu Suzuki mentions the effects due to the weather with how footprints are left in the mud for hours. And then there are the cliffs and forestry with the light of the sun bouncing off and through the leafs, and the enchanting glimmer of the sun on the rocks of the cliffs. The sky and the clouds are similarly impressive, and react naturally and realistically.

So... unless, they mean there are a lot of invisible walls, I don't understand how the environments arent as deep.

I agree. I am not having a go at Esra, far from it! We are all human beings. We see things differently. Experience things differently. Personally think the environments are absolutely unreal (no pun intended). I really do. That's not to say my opinion is right, or wrong. Esra's opinion isn't right and isn't wrong, and my opinion isn't right or wrong. It's just his opinion. You can feel free to have a different opinion to his, or anyone else's once you have played the game, and we are all on a level playing field with the same knowledge to base those opinions on.

For me, the comparisons to the original games are unnecessary. They are 20 years apart, and outside of the branding, character, and locations etc. This is a different game. There are going to be different things. Going down the road of," well the first two games..." will get me nowhere. The environments will look different, the models will be different, the animations will be different, the voice acting will be different.... the point I am looking for is if they can still all collectively feel somewhat similar to what we are used to from the series, and I truly know 100% that it really is, for me. I cannot emphasize that enough. This really is the Shenmue 3 I have waited for, for 17 years.

I said this on stream, and please do not take offence, I mean this in the nicest way possible, but I don't take compliments well, I don't stop and smell the roses and bask in any specific moments. I will respect peoples opinions, good or bad about this game but..... when it comes to this game, fuck everyone's comments, criticisms and even praises. I know in my own head and my own heart that this game is just so beautiful, so sensational, so right, and what I have been waiting for, for almost 20 years of my life. I am not looking at it through fan boy goggle eyes either. I have played a lot of modern AA and AAA games, and there isn't a single one of them that's flawless. There are things I like, and things I don't like. Of course, I know I will have my grumbles about some of this games features, but what's important to me are the impressions I take away from it, at each stage; beginning, middle and end. I wont go into what I know, what I don't, and all that stuff. All I know now is at this exact point in time, above is how I feel about it, and I genuinely could not be happier. I really couldn't. Yes, I know they have been stingy from what they have publically shown off, but I've said this so many times; come back and we will chat once you have played this game, and I am willing to wager that the majority of you will finally feel the same way as I do.

I have to agree. The details are a bit vague. this is generic video gaming journalism. What are these today's standards all people are talking about? Uncharted 4 or Fortunite/ Minecraft. We have so many different games which have different quality standards, so it is a bit weird to talk about these standards as they were universal standards that can be used for all games which is not the case.

To me the game looks good. Way better than the originals did. Ok that is not surprising at all when you compare current gen technology with 20 years old tech.

It seems that S3 is a good way to portray a modern day Shenmue. Even if some features are missing it should still feels like Shenmue. Und the changes are quite hight that's the case.

Maybe I change my mind after playing it but so far I am positive. I am impressed that they game came this far and looks quite good and faithful to the original.

i think stuff like this is a simple budget and time problem. there have to be some sacrifices in some ways
to maintain most of the core gameplay and vision. their main target was probably just to get the story to work.
things like changing Ryos clothes were already mentioned in interviews in 2015.
we get some new things and there will be things that are gone.

there are some snippets in the Monaco articles that sound like we just have to live with some restrictions.

i think the best way for us would be to just accept that there will be restrictions
and concentrade on the things that are in the game
and not on the things that are missing.
The part-time jobs were hardly fleshed out in the previous games. Moving crates from one spot to another using a forklift? Moving crates from one spot to another with another person? Shouting at passersby and competing with takers? Ryo was hardly building a house or running a cafe.

Pretty gimpy criticism in my estimation.

Perhaps they meant they have less unique assets? In the original games, especially the first one, you'd find unique assets all over the place. That's the only thing I can imagine they could have possible meant by that...

Back