Kickstarter Update #102 - PC Gaming Show Update: New Trailer & Epic Games Store Exclusive For PC Version! Part 2

In fact after reading it:

It was better than what I said:
It's basically
  1. You get a full year of DLC + EGS key at launch AND after a year you get your Steam key/GoG key + a year of DLC on that platform.
  2. Or you get a full refund.

Yeah, I was gonna say, may as well give them DLC for both platforms. Maybe throw in a Phoenix/Dragon Mirror as well :p

Yeah, I was gonna say, may as well give them DLC for both platforms. Maybe throw in a Phoenix/Dragon Mirror as well :p

So yeah, at this point; them delivering keys for both has nothing to do with a contract, but greed or not greed.

If refunds come to fruition, Epic will eat the cost. They have no qualms throwing their cash around.
You sure? Behind the scenes, they may very well say, “sorry, you signed a contract and we never agreed to this, if you want to refund, fine, but it’s your money.”

You sure? Behind the scenes, they may very well say, “sorry, you signed a contract and we never agreed to this, if you want to refund, fine, but it’s your money.”

Epic has a ton of money, like a TON and they know that people hate this exclusive stuff.
but they have to try it if they want to push trough in the market.
You can be 100% sure that Epic pays something on top for that loss.

Obviously I can't say for certain. But Epic have always made sure that publishers who go down the exclusivity route are in very safe hands, even if they have to pay up because of it.

Watching Adam Koralik's latest video about this is so depressing. What should be the happiest day fans have had in years just feels like a total waste of time. I feel like the whole fanbase has crashed and burned.

I have too many good memories both in shenmue the game and on this website to accept a scenario of
"and now the shenmue fandom is tarnished forever!"

That can be your reality, but to me that reaction is just as crazy as making threats on the kickstarter page. Could over a decade of good will and camaraderie really be erased in an instant?

I don't believe so.

Stay strong people. We're not giving up until the fat lady sings. We're almost at the finish line and I'll be damned if we throw in the towel right at the end of a 20 year run.

They messed up massively and need to rectify it asap, and im sure they will in the coming weeks via a refund or ideally the steam keys. Either way, lets get this situation sorted and then move on. Express those emotional wounds, frustrations, anger and then pick yourselves back up for the next round. In the end we always come together when it counts most.

I haven't been active during the day due to work, but most of the those wicked evil comments on the Kickstarter page are most likely from your average joe toxic backer. We also live in the outrage era, so be mindful of that. Actually, the KS comments have always been dog piss, so yeah lol. Any toxic Shenmue fan or regular backer wishing death on the creator needs professional help and probably has much bigger problems in their life than a video game. Again, let me stress, i want those who purchased a steam key to get a steam key or a refund. Let me just make that clear. However, extreme verbal abuse is not how you should conduct yourself.

Either way, we have 3 months left, we can't give up now.

A man is tested in times of hardship, so we got no choice but to keep the fight going.

The shenmue community is fundamentally strong. Something as stupid as this little road bump cannot break us. In fact it weeds out the toxicity that has plagued the community for a while

That Goro lover @Peter is hustling hard and still pushing forward for Shenmue 3, as seen by the youtube channel, spoiler forum and off camera stuff. Lets follow his example and continue the fight.

Stay strong people. We got this.

The ideal solution would be for them to simply deliver Steam keys to the backers who opted for it. What would it really hurt them at this point? Sure leave it as a timed exclusive for general sale on Epic. But at least deliver to the backers what they opted for.

It's a real quick simple fix Deep Silver

With that said, some of the hyperbole I've seen is just fucking hilarious to me. I keep seeing a common argument on Facebook.

"Why didn't Epic fund it from the start? Obviously Epic gave you guys a good sum of money so why double dip?"

I can't help but just open palm my forehead when I see this type of argument. A lot of uninformed people out there. The game is probably mostly done at this point. I don't think the money from Epic matters at this point when most of the development is already done.

That's the saddest thing about it all to me. Just watching the hyperbole and ire surrounding it.

It's just a massive cluster right now and it could be resolved so easily by Deep Silver simply saying "Okay, we hear you, we will deliver Steam keys for the backers who opted for Steam on release date."

Last edited:
Yeah, I've seen my fair share of crazy shitstorms over the years as a Sega fan. Not the least of which was the whole Sonic Boom debacle that seemed certain to kill all the hype and goodwill that Sonic Generations earned. But the world moved on and now a new wave of Sonic games is being celebrated as a return to form.

So believe me when I say that this storm will pass as well. What matters is that Shenmue 3 is a good game, to refute all those who said it was impossible. This will be the only part of the story gamers are going to remember years from now. Long after this conflict between Epic and Steam is resolved, the dream of Shenmue 3 is the only thing really matters and in a few months time we will see that dream realised.

While I'm not particularly upset they signed an exclusivity deal with epic , I was expecting a physical pc copy with disc. No matter, I just changed the slackerbacker steam version to the ps4 physical on fangamer.

That Epic backlash though (no pun intended), hope they clarify their reasons and/or at least satisfy backers who specifically wanted/expected a steam copy.

With that the issue is resolved for me. For the sake of Shenmue's future (4) I hope sales are still good enough to warrent a sequel and maybe Epic will invest in it.

One thing to keep in mind is that this is not the first time Epic Games has done this. This is the 3rd time they have done this to a game that I was really looking forward to. I don’t think people should be too hard on the Shenmue fan base, this is the exact same reaction that has occurred every other time Epic has pulled these shenanigans.

Please also don’t give Deep Silver a pass. This is the second time they’ve done this at the last minute, I even think Metro was a bit more egregious, and they knew exactly what was going to happen.

Neither Deep Silver nor Epic cared last time so I wouldn’t get your hopes up that they’ll pull off a miracle and fix this issue. Epic believes this is the best way to dethrone Steam and couldn’t care less about people’s feelings. After the hate and vitriol of the Metro fiasco they said that they were going to continue doing this. People say “just a launcher” but I see a mega corporation using hyper aggressive, anti-consumer practices to carve a slice of the pie for themselves. Please don’t reward these behaviors by saying “just a launcher.” It is so much more than that.

I think that at the end of the day, the core Shenmue supporters will play the game any way that they can. Personally, I switched my KS survey to a PS4 version and will cross my fingers that it’s not too late. The damage that is being done is to all of the countless people who may have been interested in the game and are now going to be turned off due to Epics interference. Epic is pretty much reviled throughout the PC Gamer community and Deep Silver and Ys really made a deal with the devil on this one.

I just really hope that there was a good reason and they are still glad they made it. I do think Shenmue 4 is doomed, at least on PC. If they have poor sales now on PC they’ll blame it on PC gamers as opposed to their decision to go with Epic. Maybe they can use the next few months to put a proper ending in so it doesn’t end on a cliffhanger this time around.

I've never been a PC gamer, I hadn't even heard of Epic Games Store. But I'd just like to add my sympathies for Shenmue fans affected by the swerve from Steam to Epic; the PR responses from Deep Silver is appalling. Other than Persona 5 Royal (assuming Deep Silver are on board as they were with the original), I'll never purchase a game involving this company.

The ideal solution would be for them to simply deliver Steam keys to the backers who opted for it. What would it really hurt them at this point? Sure leave it as a timed exclusive for general sale on Epic. But at least deliver to the backers what they opted for.

It's a real quick simple fix Deep Silver

With that said, some of the hyperbole I've seen is just fucking hilarious to me. I keep seeing a common argument on Facebook.

I can't help but just open palm my forehead when I see this type of argument. A lot of uninformed people out there. The game is probably mostly done at this point. I don't think the money from Epic (if they even did moneyhat it) matters at this point when most of the development is already done.

That's the saddest thing about it all to me. Just watching the hyperbole and ire surrounding it.

It's just a massive cluster right now and it could be resolved so easily by Deep Silver simply saying "Okay, we hear you, we will deliver Steam keys for the backers who opted for Steam on release date."

The biggest problem is the exclusivity unfortunately.... It would cost nothing to give Steam key to the backers to calm down everybody and let the new buyers for the Epic Store but I think there will be some issues. First with Epic for the exclusivity and also with steam: some players will be able to play on it and others not before the next year. Maybe I'm wrong but I've never seen a case like that on Steam before, except for the games that are removed from the store.

Stay strong people. We're not giving up until the fat lady sings. We're almost at the finish line and I'll be damned if we throw in the towel right at the end of a 20 year run.

They messed up massively and need to rectify it asap, and im sure they will in the coming weeks via a refund or ideally the steam keys. Either way, lets get this situation sorted and then move on. Express those emotional wounds, frustrations, anger and then pick yourselves back up for the next round. In the end we always come together when it counts most.

I haven't been active during the day due to work, but most of the those wicked evil comments on the Kickstarter page are most likely from your average joe toxic backer. We also live in the outrage era, so be mindful of that. Actually, the KS comments have always been dog piss, so yeah lol. Any toxic Shenmue fan or regular backer wishing death on the creator needs professional help and probably has much bigger problems in their life than a video game. Again, let me stress, i want those who purchased a steam key to get a steam key or a refund. Let me just make that clear. However, extreme verbal abuse is not how you should conduct yourself.

Either way, we have 3 months left, we can't give up now.

A man is tested in times of hardship, so we got no choice but to keep the fight going.

The shenmue community is fundamentally strong. Something as stupid as this little road bump cannot break us. In fact it weeds out the toxicity that has plagued the community for a while

That Goro lover @Peter is hustling hard and still pushing forward for Shenmue 3, as seen by the youtube channel, spoiler forum and off camera stuff. Lets follow his example and continue the fight.

Stay strong people. We got this.

Yeah, I've seen my fair share of crazy shitstorms over the years as a Sega fan. Not the least of which was the whole Sonic Boom debacle that seemed certain to kill all the hype and goodwill that Sonic Generations earned. But the world moved on and now a new wave of Sonic games is being celebrated as a return to form.

So believe me when I say that this storm will pass as well. What matters is that Shenmue 3 is a good game, to refute all those who said it was impossible. This will be the only part of the story gamers are going to remember years from now. Long after this conflict between Epic and Steam is resolved, the dream of Shenmue 3 is the only thing really matters and in a few months time we will see that dream realised.

Well said. Agree 100%.

We got through the 2015 media clickbait outrage ('Ermagerd its a scam!').

We got through the 1st Teaser Trailer 'Shenmue is the next Mass Effect: Andromeda' mockery.

We can certainly pull together and get through this hiccup also.

YS Net need to do some damage control. Once that's done, 5 months is a good amount of time for this anger in the fandom to ease off before release. I'm not throwing in the towel just yet.

View attachment 3066

Fucking embarrassing.

Honestly, these past 24 hours have seriously made me question Corey Marshall's statement that "Shenmue fans are simply the greatest fans in the world".

Verbally abusing a 61-year-old man online to the point of wishing he drops dead when something goes wrong over...a video game. Its unbelievable.
So this discussion is on steam? Just wondering.

I just hope Ys puts out a full statement soon. Leaving people confused is the worst because it really just creates panic. Maybe they're taking their time to see how this backlash plays out but I think it's in their best interests to just say something and explain exactly what is happening. I mean maybe that was the Epic Game Store exclusive email but if so they need to clarify that further and just tell everyone they have to deal with EGS, or tell them otherwise.

Nothing we can do but just sit tight and hope for the best, I hope part of whatever statement they give also discusses if it will hit Steam at a future date.

I've just decided to get a PS4 and switched my copy to PS4. Wouldn't be the first time I bought a system for Shenmue (original xbox).

I braved opening my kickstarter app to look at the comments section. It absolutely saddens me to my gut seeing how negative and hateful they all are, I’m even reading comments saying they won’t back Shenmue 4 if they had an opportunity. Really does make me sad!

Back