Kickstarter Update #102 - PC Gaming Show Update: New Trailer & Epic Games Store Exclusive for PC Version!

Status
Not open for further replies.
No they wont be, and they will tell you themselves. Any sort of serious action will only be taken when its really absolutely necessary., and i do mean really necessary. The whole Epic issue i understand and will be trying our best to let people voice their concerns. We have no intention to stifle any debate or conversation. It is a major concern of fans & backers.

All we can do is just ask for a little bit of respect to others. If the hate is there for Deep Silver, Shibuya, or even YSNET, then so be it. But just because someone isn't as mad as you or not exactly on the same wavelength doesn't mean you can escalate into berating them on a public forum. People will have differing opinions, that is the way of it, and we will just try and make sure no one is made to feel like their opinion is worthless.
It's a relief to hear this, honestly.

It is incredibly frustrating to see this happening to our beloved franchise.

The most annoying thing is the simplest solution is right in front of them. You know, back in the day, when Tiger Woods got caught with his pants down, said nothing and things got a lot worse?

Conversely, David Letterman; same thing, except he addressed it immediately and apologized..and nothing really happened. It was over.

This is kind of the same situation. If they would simply come out and say "You know what? We did say Steam. All backers who chose that will receive it. If you did not, you must choose EGS as your option."

That's it. Controversy over. All done. And if they'd done that RIGHT after the announcement, we'd all be dissecting a trailer and moving on.

You know what's the worst ? Fellow people in the community shitting on us. Your money isn't better than mine. I'm a fan too. Yet, when I'm being let down, instead of working it with me and show to Deep Silver that this decision isn't good for the game, I'm met with mockery. This sucks.

Like I said, I'm off. Arguing about this isn't productive in the slightest. I'm sorry they have gone with a different platform this far down the road, especially after backer rewards were confirmed through FanGamer. I can't help the fact I feel the response is a massive overreaction though (and I thought the same with the Metro fiasco for the record). That's how I feel and I apologise for berating or devaluing your opinion, which you're equally entitled to. Maybe they will issue Steam keys to backers who selected them following this backlash. I'm argumentative an obstinate, so I'll give this place some space for few days.

Aaaand the Steam discussion page is still up. All I can do is laugh.

Really, REALLY hope they can find a way to reverse this decision.

You know what's the worst ? Fellow people in the community shitting on us. Your money isn't better than mine. I'm a fan too. Yet, when I'm being let down, instead of working it with me and show to Deep Silver that this decision isn't good for the game, I'm met with mockery. This sucks.
People are emotional about this series. It means a lot to all of us. I understand it hurts to read negative thoughts about something I love, and I can see where some people are coming from.

I really hope that kickstarter edition isn't just a glorified cd key to epic game store. Advertising it on steam and possibly gaining slacker backers from that platform then telling them they need to go to egs is pretty rotten.
It was always going to be that.

Look--Shenmue will always be dear to me, whether this entry ends up being a Kickstarter disaster or not. The soundtrack was in my father's music room, in his CD player, as I stumbled across cleaning up affairs and estate with mom after he passed away.

The music was a way for him to connect with his only son's hobby, a hobby which came too late in his life for him to become invested. But his was music and he loved Shenmue so.

I still love the music, the atmosphere, the gameplay, the goofy charm. It was beloved for a reason, resurrected for a reason. It was so we could get a chance to play it.

So, so few games get that second chance at a new life. Does this EGS thing doom it? Not if they do right by those who pledged. That's not a hard task.

In the survey, I chose two versions for Steam. Knowing what I know now, I would choose one version for GOG...

The main problem with it not being on Steam is that most PC gamers only use Steam and do not even buy games if they are not available on Steam. This could seriously hurt sales. They are not die-hard Shenmue fans and most will not bother to use another platform just for a single game.

I don't know anything about EGS so I'm not as miffed about this decision as everyone else(yet lol), but is this the reason for the delay? EGS gave them a significant amount of money for (possibly timed)exclusive rights and with that extra cash Yu decided he could make a noticeably better product rather than line his pockets?

If that's the case then I say it was probably the right decision.

I don't know anything about EGS so I'm not as miffed about this decision as everyone else(yet lol), but is this the reason for the delay? EGS gave them a significant amount of money for (possibly timed)exclusive rights and with that extra cash Yu decided he could make a noticeably better product rather than line his pockets?

I don't expect that information will ever be divulged publicly. Maybe the money has been invested in 3, maybe it can be applied to 4. But just by virtue of the fact that there keep on being EGS exclusives, it follows that the segment of the population that is outraged is not resulting in net losses.

Usually when Epic Games buy an exclusive, they guarantee revenue up to a certain amount of sales, even if sales don't actually hit that number. It's to protect the publisher against boycotts etc.

So yes, Epic have probably pumped a sizable amount of funding into Shenmue III.

I just hope it doesn't heavily hurt PC game sales.

Look at how badly Fallout 76 tanked when Bethesda didn't make it available on Steam. Sure, it wasn't a great game, but a lot of gamers boycotted it anyway just because it was not available on Steam.

It's a big ask to people who have anticipated a steam release to migrate over to a store front they don't want to use for this game in particular. This is already a game largely for the fans and now we don't even have steams already existing massive userbase to tap into. It may be an unpopular opinion but Shenmue 3 won't be the game to bring people to EGS outside of the fans coming over with no other option (except ps4). This is a potentially devastating blow to the series that really is unfortunate.

My hope is people play the game at E3 and enjoy it and we at least get a little positivity this week. So far we've been complaining about intangibles for the most part.

My hope is people play the game at E3 and enjoy it and we at least get a little positivity this week. So far we've been complaining about intangibles for the most part.
Even if they released the demo they promised four years ago at midnight tonight, it would not be enough to sweeten the sour taste. They done fucked up big time.

Oh, for sure. In terms of what I care about, though, I need gameplay. I am tired of these dopey trailers. Even if the trailers were immaculate and looked better visually than Cyberpunk 2941u294u14, they're still just a bunch of random scenes of nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back