MAGIC Monaco Press Conference - 9th March 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's a twinge of irony in the survey being held up as the standard to hit, because I think I remember a few complaints about it at the time.

In any case when I asked on the Kickstarter if it was representative of final quality, I was told no. That could go either way, but again, I think that clip of Alpha footage last May was basically on the same level.

I presume they meant it would be even better since some people were complaining about the work-in-progress animations and expressions. We shall see in a few days...

Well, I don't know if the alpha footage @Spaghetti is talking about is the same that I am thinking but we must remember the THQ video presentation that had new models of Shenhua and Ryo and a snippet of cutscene with Ryo and the little girl.
That video, with that cutscene has a quality that looked quite good, like the survey video so I think we can rest assured that they are going to accomplish in graphics wise.

That's the one, though the video playback is a bit messy in that one.

The Dojo's video is better (which is technically tooting my own horn as I recorded it), but I screwed up a bit by exporting it at 60fps.

That Shenhua model in the THQ video is amazing. I hope thats the final design. Im not to fond of her look on the ps4 cover....perhaps its the angle.

Saturday needs to hurry up and get here. Hype intensified.

Besides some detail in the clothes and hair though, isn't it more or less the same model facially?

sequence01.00_00_05_1h0jlm.jpg

I don't know why, but in the scene where Ryo and Shenhua are walking and talking, there is a seceond screen where we can see Ryo from a front view angle and behind him there are trees. I like that scene, too. I can't wait to see how the full game works. ^^

To be honest, I am not really worried about the walking animations or the facial animations of the main characters. We've seen massive improvements and the scene with Ryo and Shenhua walking the path looks amazing and there are a lot of subtle animations in their facial movements too.

I do worry most NPCs wont be given the same care...
There's no use trying to fight the hype at this point, too powerful.

Nah. I am naturally pessimistic. I find optimism leads to more impactful disappointment. Though, there is a balance of trying to not sound too negative sometimes.

Last edited:
I mean when you're working at a scale where you can interact with basically every NPC, and on a budget like this, there probably are going to be compromises on detail... somewhere. It was the same with the original, though.

And for what it's worth their algorithmic facial animation tech looked okay when we saw an example in 2017. Bare in mind for most of the video it runs the lines for three characters basically at once and looks a little fucked up. The morph targets looked fine though. Even the lowest tier NPC in Shenmue III should have quality exceeding the same tier in the originals.

To be honest, I am not really worried about the walking animations or the facial animations of the main characters. We've seen massive improvements and the scene with Ryo and Shenhua walking the path looks amazing and there are a lot of subtle animations, in their facial movements too.

I do worry most NPCs wont be given the same care...

Nah. I am naturally pessimistic. I find optimism leads to more impactful disappointment. Though, there is a balance of trying to not sound top negative sometimes.

The art direction is a mystery to me. While he have seen very stylized characters such as Mr.Muscles, the grandmother of the hotel or even the NPCs in the Gamescom 2017 trailer, Lan Di and Ryo are rather faithful to the Dreamcast art direction. I expect that the trailer eventually dissipates the fog.

The art direction is a mystery to me. While he have seen very stylized characters such as Mr.Muscles, the grandmother of the hotel or even the NPCs in the Gamescom 2017 trailer, Lan Di and Ryo are rather faithful to the Dreamcast art direction. I expect that the trailer eventually dissipates the fog.

I think the reason for this is that the entire game has been a moving target in terms of visuals due to Suzuki's iterative approach, where all things are continually refined until arriving at a final product. This is a stark difference from the standard development process where each phase must be completed before you move on to the next.

2:30 is plenty of time for a decent trailer. I'd take 2:00 as well if it's well put together and showing just enough without spoiling anything major (I loathe modern movie trailers, I want a peak not the whole main arch).

Things I want to see/hear on Saturday either in the trailer or as screen shots or other:
- The Shenmue theme playing with a twist/new element to it
- Bonus: A piece of some new music
- Ryo eating something
- Ren's face
- Some mini-game part
- Bonus: Something other than lucky hit
- Lan Di
- Bonus: Niao Sun or another new major boss (Seeing as Niao shares the first Chinese character of Choubu and the article place I'm hoping for at least a small looksie now, the red Phoenix, Niao meaning bird after all)
- Landscape views, Guilin lime stone mountains
- Bonus: something more specific like the Great Wall.
- A bit of fighting to show off new moves/systems
- Bonus: some QTE!

... and I could go on and on and on, but this would keep me way satisfied until August.

So close yet so far. Planning to engage the hype thrusters Friday night, so the eve before.

If they can get anywhere near the quality of the recent screenshots or even the survey video (first time I've seen that one and it looks incredibly good) then we're going to be in for one hell of a Shenmue 3. With Shenmue 4 and the future of YSNet riding on it, I so want this game to be a masterpiece. I have strong faith in the team Suzuki has assembled, and Suzuki himself, and them giving everything they have to this for four years has to produce a wonderful game at the end of all this.

"World Premiere" strikes me as this being very substantial, so I'm hoping they blow everyone out of the water. Not long now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back