Magic Monaco Press Conference March 9th Part 3 More Reaction

Well that's the thing. After reading the other article from VG24/7...it sounds like it's gonna be Shenmue as usual to me. If I had to guess, I would say all 500 are not interactive but a handful will be. But that's my guess.

I'm fine with that...my expectations for this game have been in check the entire time considering the budget. I really don't think Deep Silver invested all that much into it. Maybe they got them to the 10 million mark as was the needed amount on Kickstarter to make the full game he wanted to make...but I really think our funding was the primary funding. I really don't think anyone else invested anywhere near as much as we did.
Say they did make it for 10 million it sounds like Yu has extracted every last penny out of that to ensure his vision is carried out in the best possible way.

I'm not convinced it will duel audio myself but would love it if it was. I'm not sure about the technicalities around it but we saw in the re-releases that simply changing the track doesn't work. They would need 2 lots of audio and lip sync files to make it work.

The partially-interactive NPCs are not exactly the "full-on Shenmue experience we have dreamed of"...

The dialogues were not as dense and engaging as those you could hear, unrealistically, from West-RPGs but being free to talk to every single pedestrian in Shenmue added a wide sense of immersion. It gave you the precious feel that each character was the equal of Ryo, not mechanical puppets awaiting you to interact with. Each NPC has its own consistency, irrespective of their game design function. They're no borders between "humans" and "subhumans", but only humans.

It could also deliver appreciable moments of surprise after you met anonymous people who turned to be eccentric by a funny punchline or having an unexpected relation with Ryo. Now you only need to look at the HUD or the charadesign to know if the NPC has something special to tell you, like any other game where NPCs raise a flag to signal their social availability.

As special treat, the feature also allowed you to appreciate the very distinctive and caricatured faces of the population. With the new art direction, the feature would have made even more sense.

We knew that Yu Suzuki early considered that sacrifice and I thought the arrival of Deep Silver would definitely close the case. I suppose that's the best choice YSnet could make to realize the most balanced and interesting possible game but that's undoubtedly a blow to handle.

Now we have yet to see how seamlessly the designers have implemented the non-talkable NPCs. Will the lack of interactivity be translated by the inhabitants' reluctance to talk to Japanese strangers? When trying to interact with the impassive pedestrians, is Ryo going to react in a very Shenmuish style? Or will the game be designed in a very classical way?

Especially Yakuza 5. Even if Yakuza 5 wasn't my favorite of the series in terms of story, I can at least respect how much they crammed into that game. The Sensible Taxi driving mini game (one of my favorite things to do in that game, btw), Haruka's idol section, a Ramen making mini game, Hunting and so on...there was SOOOO much to do in that game that I don't even think Shenmue III could realistically match it due to both the smaller budget and the fact that they haven't had anywhere near as many years as RGG studios to build that type of stuff.

I don't necessarily need Shenmue III to be big and full of stuff to do rather I need it to be focused and narrowed in on what it is trying to do (i.e the Affinity system and so on)

Given the budget and the scope of the team, I think they're much better off focusing on quality over quantity (or as much as the budget affords)

Couldn't agree more with all of your points!

(Save for 5 in terms of story, but that's a discussion for another place, another time ;))

I too feel that they should focus on the core pieces that the fans love; putting 100% into 5 things, instead of 50% into 25 things, making it a fully-voiced game, etc.

It definitely felt like a shenmue game and over all I'm happy with it. The only thing that bothered me was the animations. I understand that it's not going to be a AAA game but I was expecting better animations than that. They received millions and used a free engine so I kind of wonder if all that money went into the game ?‍♂️ ? Maybe the story and game world will make up for it ?‍♂️. Maybe that cartoon look will allow them to create a larger and more impressive gaming world kind of like what Nintendo did with windwaker. I want the animations to look good because I want more than just the fans to purchase this game. For $60 people expect a modern game. Im worried that we'll never see a shenmue 4. I honestly don't know what to think because I still haven't seen actual gameplay. I'll probably be upset if they delay this game again. I guess we'll see what happens..

Well that's the thing. After reading the other article from VG24/7...it sounds like it's gonna be Shenmue as usual to me. If I had to guess, I would say all 500 are not interactive but a handful will be. But that's my guess.

I'm fine with that...my expectations for this game have been in check the entire time considering the budget. I really don't think Deep Silver invested all that much into it. Maybe they got them to the 10 million mark as was the needed amount on Kickstarter to make the full game he wanted to make...but I really think our funding was the primary funding. I really don't think anyone else invested anywhere near as much as we did.
Yeah, the hand wringing feels pretty pointless when overall the experience sounds about the same. I would rather take this reduction over a world that feels under-populated and less genuine as a result.

We'll probably never know for sure how much investment Deep Silver brought, and while it's definitely kicked the game up a couple of gears in scope, size, and complexity - it was never going to be SEGA's blank cheque.

I'm not convinced it will duel audio myself but would love it if it was. I'm not sure about the technicalities around it but we saw in the re-releases that simply changing the track doesn't work. They would need 2 lots of audio and lip sync files to make it work.

i'm pretty sure Shenmue 3 will have dual audio.
its not like they released the japanese version first and then a english version for the rest.
its a worldwide release with one publisher (except for china)

other games of Deep Silver like the latest Metro Exodus have dozens of different voice options
and for Shenmue 3 there are already english and japanese voices listed on Steam
+ on the german PS4 Amazon page it says voices: english, japanese

i dont know of any DS game where the listed language options werent available in the final product
so i believe that DS or Suzuki or both insisted on including both voices.

I also hopeful it is going to have dual audio but as nothing has confirmed yet. So we have to wait and see.

the infos about the NPC does not worry me at all. As long as the important npcs are voiced and help to progress the story I am more than happy.

@RunningWolf It is not that important what people want or expect. Shenmue is not catered to mass market. Never was never will be. Back in 1999 Shenmue had to chance to get mass market but it way ahead off its time. Nobody cared about it although it was very fresh and new back then. Now 20 years later Shenmue is considered as open world game among many.People will not see what Shenmue makes special so the general public won't care again.

Might soon harsh but I can asure you that I really love Shenmue and want it to be success but the odds are against this game.

If we fans really want S4 we have to make the part 3 a modest success and maybe even be willing to do another kickstarter.

If Shenmue 3 is according to my taste I would be willing to back a S4 development as well. But it is too early to say for sure.

At first Yu San and his team have to deliver a good gaming experience. At the moment it seems they are going to do it. But lets wait and see.

It is all up to us fans to make possible 4th game reality. We cannot relay on the general public to make S3 a success. It is all about us fans to do so.

I really hope it does...no offence to Corey Marshall and company, but I truly prefer the Japanese dub to this game....oh well, if it doesn't have dual audio then I guess it just gives me an excuse to buy the Japanese copy as well (ah, who am I kidding, I probably will do that anyway just for the Japanese subs on the Japanese copy)

also im probably in the minority but i would be happy if there are no supernatural elements in Shenmue 3.
i am one of those people who are afraid of too much fantasy. there are thousands of fantasy games out there
but how many game like S1&2 are out there?

im okay with some fantasy elements as a little surprise. some stuff that doesnt need explanation.
but i dont want any "Dragon Ball action" with flying people and magic attacks.
i wouldnt like it one bit if Ryos and Lan Dis last fight would take place in the sky
and they are punching each other through mountains.

small fantasy things that Ryo discovers are okay but please no superhero action.

1. No it doesn't.
  2. Every cutscene has been voiced since the very first game, in 2005. Irrefutable, as well.
  3. Yes it is.
Like my previous post; remove your bias.

Bull crap.

Quick search.

Watch the video and then read what I said:

Is Yakuza really AAA? The series still has ps2-isms where there's limited cutscenes that use minimal assets, every cutscene isn't voiced, and there's three different kinds of cutscenes (regular cinematic, rpg text boxed kind with lack of talking and just has voiced grunts and "hmmms", and visual novel esque scene). Yakuza is far from AAA. Are using that definition very liberally in a world where RDR2 or GTAV exist I think. In fact, I know a lot of people whose first Yakuza game was 0 who said the production values aren't what they're used to and that the game is cheap in many areas, reminding them of a ps2 game with better graphics.

Text box. No voice acting. It's a lie to say Yakuza is fully voice acted. Hence ps2-ism.

Serious question: What was the point of the endless NPCs who had nothing to say other than "talk to me later" or providing random directions in Shenmue 2? That literally is the definition of pointless eye candy and fluff and it's barely any better.
The point was that it made the world feel a bit more realistic. Just like you could open drawers or pick up things that weren't related to any quests. When some of this was removed from Shenmue 2, reviewers and gamers actually noted this. "Unnecessary" stuff like that was one of the things that actually defined Shenmue according to them.

The non-interactable NPC's I couldn't care less. Lots of games do it these days & even ones with 1000's of NPC's they only say the odd line. I'm glad they have gone into further dialouge with the characters who need it.

Let's wait for it to go live on IGN USA and then we can really get into it.
That's exactly the reason why I would keep it. It makes the game stand out. Shenmue 3 can't compete with graphics, world size etc. So having a unique trait could certainly be positive when it comes to reviews or as a selling point. In GTA or The Witcher, the crowds don't feel as real to me because of the minimal voice work. But as has been said, it really depends on the ratio or how it's implemented (they could be in a secluded area) and the reports about the huge amount of voice work sounds good. And yes, let's wait for a definitive translation.

Although it might be nice to see Shenhua' mystical powers I would also be glad if there are not any msytical stuff hidden in the game. The core story is more than interesting enough and needs no mystical stuff to spice up the story line.

To honest I was quite confused when I saw the flying swords for the first time at the end of Shenmue 2. I always enjoyed the realistic take the game did before the ending. A classic martial arats revenge story without any mystical Indiana Jones vibe. But after playing Shenmue 2 a few times again the mystical stuff become more acceptable to me. And I wouldn't mind it. But I also would not mind if S3 takes a more realistic path again . Would be even better to be honest.

Reading the Gameblog preview now. The Q&A will come later.

Excellent stuff IMO, but I'm excited about the detail Yu drops about it being possible to win the fight where the character directs you to the Martial Hall we heard about in the EDGE preview. Although he says the vast majority of players will lose, it's exciting to hear they've account for it being possible to win.

Bull crap.

Quick search.

Text box. No voice acting. It's a lie to say Yakuza is fully voice acted. Hence ps2-ism.

they changed this with the new engine. none of the old PS2/3 engine games were fully voiced
but Yakuza 6 is fully voiced.

they changed this with the new engine. none of the old PS2/3 engine games were fully voiced
but Yakuza 6 is fully voiced.

I haven't played Yakuza 6. However the guy said every cutscene in Yakuza is voiced since the first one. This is an outright lie.

I also hopeful it is going to have dual audio but as nothing has confirmed yet. So we have to wait and see.

the infos about the NPC does not worry me at all. As long as the important npcs are voiced and help to progress the story I am more than happy.

@RunningWolf It is not that important what people want or expect. Shenmue is not catered to mass market. Never was never will be. Back in 1999 Shenmue had to chance to get mass market but it way ahead off its time. Nobody cared about it although it was very fresh and new back then. Now 20 years later Shenmue is considered as open world game among many.People will not see what Shenmue makes special so the general public won't care again.

Might soon harsh but I can asure you that I really love Shenmue and want it to be success but the odds are against this game.

If we fans really want S4 we have to make the part 3 a modest success and maybe even be willing to do another kickstarter.

If Shenmue 3 is according to my taste I would be willing to back a S4 development as well. But it is too early to say for sure.

At first Yu San and his team have to deliver a good gaming experience. At the moment it seems they are going to do it. But lets wait and see.

It is all up to us fans to make possible 4th game reality. We cannot relay on the general public to make S3 a success. It is all about us fans to do so.

They should have made shenmue 3 the last game! I don't care what anyone says. I don't care if the creator had a vision for multiple games because it took around 15 years for us to get the 3rd game. He already said that if shenmue 3 doesn't do very well that we won't see a 4th game. Personally I'm not ok with that! I don't want to go through that pain again. He could have easily changed the story to make this the last game. We deserve to finish this story. If this is the last game I'm seriously going to find the creator and scream at his face. I don't care how childish this makes me sound because we waited 15 years and most of us paid a lot of money for the kickstarter. People are going to lose it if the same thing happens again. I just have a bad feeling about this. I hope everything works out..

He could have changed the story yes but then it would not be the same. Omitting chapters is never a good thing in story telling. I want to see the original vision . It is much better than having ending that is not according to the original vision. As long as the fans like it everything will be fine and there is a chance for a 4th game.

I just would not count on the casual gamers out there.

Bull crap.

Quick search.

lol, so my guess was correct; you don't know what a cutscene is.

As I said, irrefutable.

I've played each game in the series a MINIMUM of 3 times (save for the Kurohyos and Kenzan!), beginning to end, so I believe I am quite well-versed.

Back