Magic Monaco Press Conference March 9th Part 3 More Reaction

They should have made shenmue 3 the last game! I don't care what anyone says. I don't care if the creator had a vision for multiple games because it took around 15 years for us to get the 3rd game. He already said that if shenmue 3 doesn't do very well that we won't see a 4th game. Personally I'm not ok with that! I don't want to go through that pain again. He could have easily changed the story to make this the last game. We deserve to finish this story. If this is the last game I'm seriously going to find the creator and scream at his face. I don't care how childish this makes me sound because we waited 15 years and most of us paid a lot of money for the kickstarter. People are going to lose it if the same thing happens again. I just have a bad feeling about this. I hope everything works out..

Although it's not going to be THE conclusion, I think the end of the game will be satisfying enough to earn its own autonomy.

Note sure if it's a spoiler but there is a BIG probability that Ryo will fight Lan Di in Shenmue 3.

lol, so my guess was correct; you don't know what a cutscene is.

As I said, irrefutable.

I've played each game in the series a MINIMUM of 3 times (save for the Kurohyos and Kenzan!), beginning to end, so I believe I am quite well-versed.

What's a cutscene then? Wikipedia defines cutscene as:

A cutscene or event scene (sometimes in-game cinematic or in-game movie) is a sequence in a video game that is not interactive, breaking up the gameplay. Such scenes could be used to show conversations between characters, set the mood, reward the player, introduce new gameplay elements, show the effects of a player's actions, create emotional connections, improve pacing or foreshadow future events.[2][3]

Cutscenes often feature "on the fly" rendering, using the gameplay graphics to create scripted events. Cutscenes can also be pre-rendered computer graphics streamed from a video file. Pre-made videos used in video games (either during cutscenes or during the gameplay itself) are referred to as "full motion videos" or "FMVs". Cutscenes can also appear in other forms, such as a series of images or as plain text and audio.

I have played 1-5 and 0. I don't really care to debate you here. The overall point was that Yakuza has an inconsistent presentation to many used to more modern games. I haven't played 6.

I also have no bias. I quite like the series.

Those are very much cutscenes and you are starting to look ridiculous.

No I'm not; I didn't watch the video because its blocked here at work, but I know it is probably when Kiryu (or whomever) is talking to someone on the street.

That's a not a cutscene; a cutscene is a video or story event, that indeed is not interactive and that breaks up gameplay.

Kiryu talking to someone on the street or doing a sidestory, is NOT a cutscene; it is dialogue that does NOT allow a break in the action, as you are interacting with it and moving it along, hence, part of gameplay.

Under your understanding, that means that Ryo looking at a nameplate and saying, "yup, the Yamomotos, guess I should find that lady," is a cutscene: its not.

Therefore, it is irrefutable that every CUTSCENE is voiced, as every cutscene has full voice-acting.

What you meant to say, is that all DIALOGUE in the game, is not fully-voiced in any game in the series, outside of 6.

This isn't semantics either; there isn't a single cutscene in the entire series that isn't fully voiced, while dialogue scenes that are interactive and require responses and/or button prompts to move the dialogue/story along, are NOT cutscenes.

I've said my piece and I am done with this too, as we are indeed derailing; again, I didn't realise that I was 4 pages behind, when I made my initial reply.

Here to echo sentiment if there not every NPC with one line of "bah, go away." etc, then I don't care. I fact these tiny dismissive lines actually sucked me out of the originals back in 2000/2002.

Also, Yakuza are fully voiced cinematic cutscenes, man. They break off into dialogue text scenes in between sometimes to move the pace along so they aren't MGS2 or Xenosaga level of overdrawn length because thei'r plots are as deep if not deeper than those two epic stories.

Many thanks for that; there IS a distinction and the dialogue that you move along with prompts, are not cutscenes.

If you had a game with cinematic cutscenes, that had subtitles instead of dialogue, THEN you can say that the cutscenes aren't voiced.

Got my EDGE magazine yesterday, wasn't expecting MAGIC gameplay write-ups so soon. The VG247 was nice. Wonder how long IGN will translate their Japanese impressions. Whatever happened to their 1+2 event video translation??

This is a very semantic definition of cutscene but okay.

You're Shenmue biased; admit you haven't even played every game and pulled a definition from wikipedia; gave us a "LOLz LOOKS LIKE PS2" troll, which people say about Shenmue 3, ironically. But okay.

Love both games. If there weren't brief dialogue breaks for some text plot advances for the ridiculous storylines Yakuza is beloved for, I wouldn't mind, though it'd be too big to fit on a DVD or maybe even Blu Ray. Let alone same complaints Xenosaga and MGS2 receieved from casual fans who didn't have enough patience/attention span to care.

I personally dont care if the creator thought it was unsatisfactory. He simply doesn't have the money to do what he wants. He basically had to borrow money through kickstarter to even make a 3rd game. I honestly think it's a little insane that he's going for a 4th game. How is he going to receive enough money for a 4th game? Almost everyone that's going to play shenmue 3 purchased it through kickstarter and that money was used to fund the game. How can this end well for us? I'm thinking logically on this. I'm not trying to make any one upset. Its best to be honest.

I don’t know. The meaningless dialogue/ curt replies were always part of the experience.
I felt it added to the immersion, and weirdly enough the charm of the series, even when it was a door being slammed in Ryo’s face telling you that nobody's home; same with picking up pointless items from drawers I suppose.

500 NPCs sounds awesome on paper, but if you can only interact with a small fraction of them, then what’s the point really? Besides, how would recycling 15 different variations of “I don’t wanna talk right now” ramp up the budget? Something doesn’t quite add up here.

Curious to see the end results…but even more curious to read the proper translation. Maybe this is all taken waaaaay out of context.

I personally dont care if the creator thought it was unsatisfactory. He simply doesn't have the money to do what he wants. He basically had to borrow money through kickstarter to even make a 3rd game. I honestly think it's a little insane that he's going for a 4th game. How is he going to receive enough money for a 4th game? Almost everyone that's going to play shenmue 3 purchased it through kickstarter and that money was used to fund the game. How can this end well for us? I'm thinking logically on this. I'm not trying to make any one upset. Its best to be honest.
If it's honesty you want, I think you're being a bit hysterical unless you've got a crystal ball hidden under a sheet somewhere.

The thinking is that he can sell enough to make a 4th viable. Which is why so much rests on 3. As much as I'd love a full conclusion I'd rather a fuller not rushed experience.

If the game does well then a 4th will happen. I read ages back they want to do 1millon sales. They do that then a 4th could happen

At the first glance it might look more realistic, but at the second glance it is not. The NPC were using the same lines again and again. And sometimes their lines made no sense storywise. I was a amazing task for the time being no doubt about it, but it was not that realistic. Talking about realism, you also have to consider the setting. In Yokusuka Ryo was well known, so of course the people were talking to him. In Hong Kong he was was just a tourist, but Hong Kong People were used to Tourists so they were reacting to him.

But Shenmue 3 is set in a rural China, in an enclosed community. So maybe these people do not like to talk to strangers at all and just ignore them.

Yeah Yeah I know that is just a lame excuse but it would not be the worst in universe explanation why there not so much talkative NPC . Maybe.. What do you guys think about it?

500 NPCs sounds awesome on paper, but if you can only interact with a small fraction of them, then what’s the point really?
At which point in these previews was it said we'll only talk to a small fraction of them, though? None to my recollection, though I've only gone through them once.

If that wasn't specified, it sounds like you're letting your own fears dictate your reaction.

If it's honesty you want, I think you're being a bit hysterical unless you've got a crystal ball hidden under a sheet somewhere.

I have to agree. It is not unlikely that it will sell enough to make a 4th game viable. It is not certain though either. But i the game is different enough to attract the player it can be ok.. It just should not try to compete with modern games. This battel it would .lose. But if it lives it's "Shenmueness" to the fullest it should be fine.

I do not know why but I am rather postive or the future of Shenmue.. Hard to explain but I have a good feeling somehow. We will see.

I still think they shouldn't have spent money on an English voice recording. I get why they did it, but that money could've been better spent somewhere else. Of course we'd then have English dub purists decrying the state of Shenmue 3, so I clearly am getting ahead of myself.

Anyway, good direction is knowing when to cut fat. Of course Shenmue has quite a bit of fat, but 20 years have transpired since Shenmue 1 & 2. These budget constraints might actually lead to a more playable game in the end. Look at the bright side.

(I personally don't mind the text only stuff in Yakuza.)

Back