NEW INFO - Shenmue 3 Reboot Conference Summary

Screens being old would certainly explain the 'white eyes syndrome' we're seeing here...
I am thinking that the screens are from last year too. considering each showing of new information from conventions have been a step or two behind what everyone was expecting in terms of movement, animation, faces blah blah blah.
These screens look SO Shenmue to me. I think we are in for a real treat the next time we see a trailer. 2019 with lots of polish.

I am not a expert in game development, just a simple gamer so I might b wrong but to me it does not make any sense to hold the better stuff back. The eyes of the gaming world are already pointed at Shenmue 3 and the game release is rather imminent so why they should hold back the good stuff? We have to consider the possibility that screens show a rather final build of the game and there will be only smaller improvements if at all. That is fine for me, I like the art style o the game. I would not be sad if they would improve of course but it is not a must.

Other people here in the dojo might be disappointed though if that might be the case. That is ok as well. Tastes are different and the more things you know about graphics the more critical you might become. And it is good we have such people on board that can see things other people with less knowledge about graphics do not see.

In case anybody is missing the context, the reason any discussion about these being old shots is coming up, is because the metadata pegs them as being generated roughly a year ago.

Is the metadata infallible? No. Has it been correct in every instance so far though? Yes.

It's a puzzling one, but honestly I'd rather trust the logic these were recent screens taken for Yu's panel and Famitsu, and somehow the metadata does not properly reflect when they were generated.

Considering that Shenmue III's target release date was like December 2017 or something like that, it's possible that the game was playable from start to finish as early as that time.

Not surprising that Yu Suzuki would put year and a half images for the sake of keeping the polished product under wraps. We're talking about the same man who intentionally would crash his own game to keep higher ups from seeing his recent builds. Lol.

I'm starting to feel inclined to trust the small few who have played the game already who are saying that the graphics are fine.

To keep things in perspective... we still have not seen what the final build of Shenmue III looks like to this day.
Interesting, where did you read that part about Yu crashing the games?

In case anybody is missing the context, the reason any discussion about these being old shots is coming up, is because the metadata pegs them as being generated roughly a year ago.

Is the metadata infallible? No. Has it been correct in every instance so far though? Yes.

It's a puzzling one, but honestly I'd rather trust the logic these were recent screens taken for Yu's panel and Famitsu, and somehow the metadata does not properly reflect when they were generated.

So you're saying trust the metadata in all situations besides this one? Yeah. Nah. Theres no need to twist facts to form your own narrative. Sometimes its like people get defensive and go out of their way to try bend the shape of the most logical explanation, in order to defend things that need no defending. Its getting pretty ridiculous.

If the metadata is correct all other times, there is no reason to doubt its authenticity this time based on circumstanial and mostly irrelevant information. It does not matter that they were not shown before now. Maybe, just maybe, they were produced in 2018 like the metadata implies.

So you're saying trust the metadata in all situations besides this one? Yeah. Nah. Theres no need to twist facts to form your own narrative. Sometimes its like people get defensive and go out of their way to try bend the shape of the most logical explanation, in order to defend things that need no defending.

If the metadata is correct all other times, there is no reason to doubt its authenticity this time based on circumstanial and mostly irrelevant information. It does not matter that they were not shown before now. Maybe, just maybe, they were produced in 2018 like the metadata implies.
It just doesn't particularly stand up to the context in which these screens were shown. Yu would have taken screens to illustrate what he wanted to show in his panel, not dictated the contents of the panel based on what old screenshots he had lying around.

I'm not "twisting facts", there's just a lapse of logic occuring when taking the metadata at face value this time.

It just doesn't particularly stand up to the context in which these screens were shown. Yu would have taken screens to illustrate what he wanted to show in his panel, not dictated the contents of the panel based on what old screenshots he had lying around.

I'm not "twisting facts", there's just a lapse of logic occuring when taking the metadata at face value this time.

Regardless of any other fact, how can the metadata be wrong? Its unlikely anyone went out of their way to use software to edit metadata. Sometimes, the simplist explanation is the truth, no matter how weird or unlikely that truth is.

Interesting, where did you read that part about Yu crashing the games?

He explains it somewhere in this video. Not sure about the timestamp.

He hid a switch under his desk that he used to jumble up the game image and change the colours when his boss came in, in order to get more time on projects. His boss was always super eager to ship projects and put them on market even if they werent near done, if they looked pretty he'd want to rush it out as soon as possible.

Its unlikely anyone went out of their way to use software to edit metadata. Sometimes, the simplist explanation is the truth, no matter how weird or unlikely that truth is.

It's actually very likely that the metadata for absolutely every image we've seen has been edited. It's common practice for promotional material.

Let's move the discussion on from the Metadata specifics. It's starting to derail the topic somewhat. If a seperate topic is needed for that sort of discussion then by all means create one.

Back