Next Generation Thoughts

Are you planning on getting either console within a year of their release?

• Yes - PS5

Votes: 15 30.6%
  • Yes - Xbox Series X

Votes: 4 8.2%
  • Yes - Both

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • Neither

Votes: 23 46.9%
  • Unsure

Votes: 4 8.2%

• Total voters
Bright Memory: Infinite looks pretty crazy. The original version, Bright Memory, has been confirmed as a launch titles for Series X/S. Infinite won't launch until sometime in 2021. I'm hoping Xbox One gets the original version too. Be nice to try it out.
I had a chance to try the original on Steam for about 10 minutes. My laptop barely ran the game on minimal settings and the graphics looked worse than early PS3/Xbox 360 era on my machine lol, I can only imagine how nice they will look on the newer consoles/a proper PC. The little bit I was able to play despite all of the sluggishness of my computer I enjoyed. If you have a powerhouse computer you can get it for a few more hours on Steam for $8 and it guarantees that Infinite will be free upon release for people who buy the original at $8. I too am hoping it comes to Xbox One, I'd pay full price. If it's only on Series X/S it would be the first(and only)announced X/S non-XB One title that actually looks good.

Will it have the crazy cutscenes from the metal gear solid Twin Snakes?
no idea. i guess it depends on who makes it and who the director is. i think the only reason mgs on the gamecube had all those wacky cutscenes was because it was directed by Ryuhei Kitamura.

i remember liking twin snakes but i was a little disappointed because there wasn't much new to experience in the game vs the original and the free camera / first person view made mgs way to easy.

like most fans, i would much rather a mgs3 remake.

at a guess, when do you guys think all this pre order madness will die down and next gen consoles will be easier to get a hold of?

So people are getting their hands on with Xbox. For some reason the below video has got me interested in buying the console. That and my Nintendo Switch Joy Con controllers have broken again and it looks like Nintendo won't fox it for free. This time the bumper buttons have gone so considering taking it off living display, putting it upstairs and having the Xbox instead.

So people are getting their hands on with Xbox. For some reason the below video has got me interested in buying the console. That and my Nintendo Switch Joy Con controllers have broken again and it looks like Nintendo won't fox it for free. This time the bumper buttons have gone so considering taking it off living display, putting it upstairs and having the Xbox instead.

There's some hands on PS5 stuff coming but it would be remossive of me to say the Xbox doesn't look good. It does and it should have a strong games lineup in the next couple years. It's not there yet but when it is it will give Sony a run for their money, especially if Sony keep sending out mixed messages in their marketing/communications

In my area of spain from people I know working in shops Xbox series X is dominating with a ratio of 3:1 on reserves. I find it odd but that is what they told me.

In my area of spain from people I know working in shops Xbox series X is dominating with a ratio of 3:1 on reserves. I find it odd but that is what they told me.
As in people waiting to get one?

I know that Sony had more units available for order across the board, certainly in the UK so that might be reflected worldwide and part of the reason.

Also it probably helps that Xbox marketing has been clear and concise whereas Sony has been sending out very mixed messages. Not helpful but I do think the initial year Sony will have a small lead. They then need to get their act together as the MS games start rolling in.

Just my 2 cents

As in people waiting to get one?
Sorry, they did not clarify if they were talking about the queue or the ones that managed to get the reserve. Both consoles stock were exhausted though.

I can try to ask them again when I see them again in a few days though.

Sorry, they did not clarify if they were talking about the queue or the ones that managed to get the reserve. Both consoles stock were exhausted though.

I can try to ask them again when I see them again in a few days though.
Ah ok makes sense and is interesting. From what I've been seeing more people have been able to get hold of PS5's despite demand being crazy.

The Xbox demand is crazy but not as many units, seems odd as Microsoft have done a really good job thus far.

I think both are taking cues from Nintendo in that if you convince the public that product is limited, then demand will be greater than it would have otherwise.

I've realised my loyalties swing depending on the messaging as well as the games. When the PS3 was announced, they were focused more on the consoles Linux and printing (why?) capabilities than they were on gaming. I got a Xbox 360 and only got a (used) PS3 for MGS4.

Then when Xbox One was announced, they were more focused on being able to watch your TV through the console. Then they announced it was bundled with the Kinect and always had to be online which was the final nail in the coffin and I got a PS4. Didn't even consider getting a Xbox One.

The upcoming generation hype, for me, has been poor on both sides. What annoys me the most, and I'm general, is having highly paid people who don't know how to do the job they're supposed to be doing. I've watched all the showcases and I'm still not clear whether the PS4 digital library will be available on PS5 and whether there are any restrictions for online play and share play. Also disappointed that the likes of Spiderman and Horizon are games not specifically built for the PS5 and the frankly ridiculous cost of new digital games.

The upcoming generation hype, for me, has been poor on both sides. What annoys me the most, and I'm general, is having highly paid people who don't know how to do the job they're supposed to be doing. I've watched all the showcases and I'm still not clear whether the PS4 digital library will be available on PS5 and whether there are any restrictions for online play and share play. Also disappointed that the likes of Spiderman and Horizon are games not specifically built for the PS5 and the frankly ridiculous cost of new digital games.

I imagine they will probably clarify more in regards to BC once they start detailing the UI and such (Sony that is) but yeah, the messaging has been all over the place. I can't see why your digital games won't carry over though. I would assume everything you've bought on PS4 should just carry over and work. Your PSN should just carry over.

But yeah, would be nice to know how (or if) they're improving PSN at all? Would be nice to know something new and have this shit fully cleared up.

But other than that, yeah, most of the messaging for both really has just been "more of the same but better looking"

The most I've taken is it's a better version of the box you already have.

Honestly, I'm not surprised they're going the cross gen route. First year of new consoles have been cross gen for a long time. Granted, in the past most cross gen games were built specifically for the hardware though. PS2 games like THPS3 were built around the PS2 while the PSone port was an entirely different build using the THPS2 engine.

PS3 and PS4 shared games in their first years. I mean hell, there is a version of Metal Gear Solid 5 on both PS3 and PS4. Titanfall was on both Xbox One and Xbox 360. Hell, the first few years of PS4 was basically remaster city while we were left waiting for the big hitters to come out to show off why we bought new hardware.

The cross gen thing is nothing new and I almost expected it given the fact that there is 100 million PS4's in the wild and they both share AMD architecture. These game engines are being built on similar hardware, so hell, why not put them on both? Not everyone is going to jump to a PS5 in the first year and it would be foolish to neglect the 100 million pre existing PS4 owners.

What I don't like about it is their messaging. That they're all about "generations" unlike the competition. Oh no, wait, we also believe in cross gen...nevermind. Their messaging sucks. I'd rather they just be straight up honest.

This is another example of Sony being annoying this upcoming generation. The remastered Spiderman has been revealed and not only have they locked it behind the a special edition Miles Morales purchase and can't guarantee 60FPS with all the enhancements, they've changed Peter Parkers face model to a knock off Tim Holland. Why Sony? Why?

Huh, so I’ve actually pre-ordered the Xbox Series S. I got talking to a friend, and when he explained Game Pass to me, and the games available it just seemed like too good an offer to pass up. For £400 I have pre-ordered the S (£300 including 2-4 day postage to Thailand.) and got 3 years of Game Pass Ultimate (£99 for 3 Brazil Xbox Live 12 month codes, and £1 for the upgrade).

All in all it feels like an awesome deal. I’m not sure if I’ll have any actual Series S|X games to start with, but the thought of having access to the Fable games is making me very happy.

Ah ok makes sense and is interesting. From what I've been seeing more people have been able to get hold of PS5's despite demand being crazy.

The Xbox demand is crazy but not as many units, seems odd as Microsoft have done a really good job thus far.
Got the data!

Numbers from a major videogame retailer that starts with G. Catalonia area in Spain (around 7.5M population).

Stock
Xbox series X: 1500
Ps5: 1200

Time that stock remained available
Xbox series X: around 30 minutes
Ps5: around 1 hour.

Queue/demand xbox is three times more.

He also expressed quite conserns for the retailer if the all digital trend continues.

Got the data!

Numbers from a major videogame retailer that starts with G. Catalonia area in Spain (around 7.5M population).

Stock
Xbox series X: 1500
Ps5: 1200

Time that stock remained available
Xbox series X: around 30 minutes
Ps5: around 1 hour.

Queue/demand xbox is three times more.

He also expressed quite conserns for the retailer if the all digital trend continues.
Thats very interesting. Sales will be close between the two. I suspect. Sony has had a bunch more UK preorders this week and not many Microsoft.

Back