Next Generation Thoughts

Are you planning on getting either console within a year of their release?

• Yes - PS5

Votes: 15 30.6%
  • Yes - Xbox Series X

Votes: 4 8.2%
  • Yes - Both

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • Neither

Votes: 23 46.9%
  • Unsure

Votes: 4 8.2%

• Total voters
I'm honestly a bit worried about the Next Gen peformance, at least on the PS5.
I'm a locked 30 or locked 60 fps guy, i hate unlocked framerates that
changes between 35 and 58 fps with every camera turn / mission / region,
i absolutely prefer locked 30 fps with perfect frame pacing timing over some sluggish unlocked 40 fps.

Of course the advertising for Next Gen is 60 fps,
but so far with what they showed or you can find, i can already see some problems.
The gameplay section in the Demons Souls footage has already some frame drops into the 40s and 50s
and that footage is from the 60 performance mode.
It would probably run totally fine if they would use 1080p as resolution
but instead they are using 1440p. Which means if there are only two options
like performance mode 1440p and resolution mode 2160p or more effects etc
it means that the performance of the 1440p mode is the best you will get because there is no 1080p mode.
I would prefer 1080p if that means that i get a 100% locked 60 fps but
its possible that 1440p is the lowest possible setting in the game.

Now with all the japanese hands on videos, theres new Godfall and DMC 5 footage too
and it seems like both games have a 60 fps target (or at least a mode that targets 60 fps)
but actually its not locked 60 fps at all. The framerate is just unlocked and hovering between 35 and 60 fps.
Which is terrible news, at least for me.

I'm really afraid that the options of Next Gen will be
Performance mode = 1440p & 60 fps target but target just means that it can reach 60 fps some times
Resolution mide = 2160p & 30 fps target with 4K textures and RTX but it can drop down to 24, 25, 26 fps
That would be the worst case scenario for me.

I really really really hope that there are more options between that, like a forced 1080p mode.

Agreed. Personally, I'm never too arsed about framerate, and have always been happy with 30. Constantly jumping all over the show is a bit annoying though, and even 60 almost feels too smooth in some weird way. It kinda pulls me out of the experience. Probably coz of what I grew up with or because it's closer to films or summat 🤷‍♂️

I wouldn’t say I’m one to get motion sick or anything but I do feel some very particular games at 60 have made me feel a little queasy. I think mgs ground zeroes was one such game that did it. In any case I’m fine with 30. But it also really depends on the game. Some I can kind of put up with really bad stuff if it at least isn’t random.

I think 60 fps will just be an option most of the time.
The 4K resolution + textures + RTX settings will never reach stable 60 fps in big games on console.
Even the Nvidia line 2070, 2080, 2080TI couldnt really handle 4K + RTX @60 fps.
The new 3080 and 3090 can probably handle it
but these single cards are two - four times more expensive than one new console.

Now in the next gen console hardware, we already have footage of some games,
DMC 5 with RTX, Demons Souls in 60 fps performance mode or Godfall
and none of the footage is 100% stable 60 fps.

So i really really hope i'm wrong but its possible that a lot of times 60 fps or performance mode
just means that the framerate is not locked at 30 fps so it can reach 60 fps
but it doesnt mean that it will always stay at 60 fps.
Even the new Ratched & Clank game will just have an 60 fps option,
the game will not run in 60 fps if you want to see RTX + 4K.
DMC 5 with RTX + 4K will not run in 60 fps, in fact only the 1080p mode will reach 60 fps.

So i'm afraid that thats whats going on with this next gen.
I dont think the new standard will be 100% stable 60 fps at all
they are just talking about the target being 60 fps and that means its anything between 31 and 60.
And i dont like this idea at all because that would mean that its possible that some games
will be stuck in 35-50 fps. That would be terrible.

What's the point of this new generation if 60fps is not the standard?
Weather effects. We were promised them with Watch Dogs that ended up being a lie. Ground Zeroes is the closest I've seen/heard/felt weather in a game. We need more of it.

We're at the pinnacle of polygonal based graphics now, so it's all about particle effects, shaders, textures, animation, etc. 60fps, 120fps, I don't give two fucks about it. Waste of performance power. Just give me visuals that'll make stare at my screen like a 9 year old who just discovered channel hopping backwards from BBC One and we'll be sound 👍

Metal Gear GZ/V for me has one of if not the best graphics this generation. Hell, even the 360/PS3 versions beat a lot of games this generation. Would be interesting to see if these fast SSD's actually make a difference to game design aside from faster loading (which I feel will be somewhat negated by bigger games) and no more corridors hiding loading (which has never been a problem for me).

Another concern regarding the new generation is a focus on streaming services, especially Microsoft's approach. My concern is that the business model simply doesn't work and it can end up being a race to the bottom if Sony try and follow suit.

Microsoft are charging £8 a month for the service and you get their 1st party games as part of that on the day of release. A single game typically cost £50 (if not more) but now you are selling/giving hundreds of games for £96 a year. How does that make any financial sense? Great from a consumer stand point but how can Microsoft justify spending big money on the likes of Halo, Fable and so on without there being a direct return on investment? Only was I can see this being viable is if microtransactions and low development cost become the norm. May be the reason why Halo Infinite is now a Destiny-type game.

I can understand having games available that no longer sell but I just don't see how this works long-term for Microsoft.

I see how it might work, maybe not in the long term but at least for now. It’s just the idea that they wager they’ll get way more subscriptions than any of their individual games will ever get sales. Between that and pushing for more digital in general will save them on manufacturing physical copies and shipping them. You have those and Microsoft willing to sell some of their IPs on other consoles as well.

Things are likely far more complicated than I actually know anything about, but I don’t think it’s far off from me running a soda stand down the street from the mom and pop store when I was little and knowing that having cut prices would get me more customers. That being said, the game pass thing is odd when Sony is starting to charge an extra $10 now.

don't know if this has been posted yet but here is an official tear down of the ps5 -

some parts look a little flimsy.

jc58kyjrge451.png
Annnnnd the award for the ugliest and most impractical/ergonomically challenged looking console in the last 25 years goes to....

geez it's even worse than I expected with having to unscrew the base.

I don't mind the look of the console personally.

The base being screwed in is a minor inconvenience at most. I'm interested to see how the thing stays cool. Its rumoured to stay pretty cool from the hands on in Japan.

Not heard much about the Series X in that regard.

What's the point of this new generation if 60fps is not the standard?
Agreed, any action game works a lot better in 60fps. Turn based or so can stay at 30fps if they want.

I still bigger resolutions are most of the time worthless (tv setups and sizes, distance to tv, etc...) compared to a stable 60fps experience.

don't know if this has been posted yet but here is an official tear down of the ps5 -

some parts look a little flimsy.

God, this new generation machines are huge.

it's it me or is Sony/PlayStation really crappy when it comes to the build quality of their controllers, headphones and other components? i mean the ps3 era build quality was pretty good, the controllers were pretty much indestructible... the ps4 ones are crap.. and i've seen pictures of a PS5 teardown of a controller and it looks pretty the same. so we can expect broken triggers and rubber thumb sticks peeling away :rolleyes:

it's it me or is Sony/PlayStation really crappy when it comes to the build quality of their controllers, headphones and other components? i mean the ps3 era build quality was pretty good, the controllers were pretty much indestructible... the ps4 ones are crap.. and i've seen pictures of a PS5 teardown of a controller and it looks pretty the same. so we can expect broken triggers and rubber thumb sticks peeling away :rolleyes:
That and the fact that all of their controllers are always uncomfortable, usually the worst on the market each gen: N64 over PS1, Xbox S original and Dreamcast over PS2(sorry GameCube), Xbox 360 over PS3, Xbox One best controller design ever made yet. The PS4 dualshock is aggravating, uncomfortable and much less desirable to use than even the PS3 dualshock.

As for the design the PS5 looks like some 2000 era attempt to look futuristic and high tech but really looks hokey. Wait until all that white turns yellow like PCs did around the turn of the century, or the white plastic parts crack and break off easily. Its an eye sore design to say the least. The Xbox Series X is practical, sleek and timeless looking it could fit into any console era, Xbox Series S looks cheaper but it is a budget model so why not? Still looks better than the PS5. At the end of the day I care about performance specs, controller design and game library. Design just needs to be practical and take up the least amount of space symmetrically.

Reactions: red
I don't know about Xbox but I've had 3 PS4 controllers break; thumbsticks peeling away, broken triggers and all eventually stopped working. The problem I have with my current controller, and was present in all the previous, is that the battery life is poor. Poor in general but mine would probably last an hour before a notification pops up that in needs charging.

Furthermore, with a passion I hate the PS4 controller design. Too small and awkwardly shaped, I often find myself in a position overlapping my fingers or doing a claw like motion on certain games. I'm happy this new controller seems closer in design to the Xbox controller than the current one. With that said, it did look pretty small when seeing it in person.

I also wish Sony don't away with the touch sensitive pad and replaced it with back buttons. Can't remember the last time it was used for anything other than a Start/Options buttons. Well, I remember it being used for Ghost of Tsushima and found it particularly annoying as my hand will constantly touch it, accidentally bowing in front of enemies when trying to sneak past them.

I don't know about Xbox but I've had 3 PS4 controllers break; thumbsticks peeling away, broken triggers and all eventually stopped working. The problem I have with my current controller, and was present in all the previous, is that the battery life is poor. Poor in general but mine would probably last an hour before a notification pops up that in needs charging.

Furthermore, with a passion I hate the PS4 controller design. Too small and awkwardly shaped, I often find myself in a position overlapping my fingers or doing a claw like motion on certain games. I'm happy this new controller seems closer in design to the Xbox controller than the current one. With that said, it did look pretty small when seeing it in person.

I also wish Sony don't away with the touch sensitive pad and replaced it with back buttons. Can't remember the last time it was used for anything other than a Start/Options buttons. Well, I remember it being used for Ghost of Tsushima and found it particularly annoying as my hand will constantly touch it, accidentally bowing in front of enemies when trying to sneak past them.
Amen to that. PS4 dualshock is worse than PS3. Only two PS4 exclusives worth owning a PS4 for(Ghost of Tsushima being one of them) and I'm still trying to find an affordable respectable aftermarket PS4 controller that's styled like the Xbox One.

Back