PlayStation 5 Event -- June 12th (OT)

this is what it looks like laying down

ps5-playstation-5-side-guide-3.original.jpg

ps5-playstation-5-side-guide-2.original.jpg

I think it will be the first console where i prefer the vertical version.
Vertical looks like a mini desktop PC by Alienware
Horizontal looks like some white chocolate icecream sandwich

Kind of in agreement here. It's really grown on me over the past half day. Even if I wanted it vertically, with my current setup that wouldn't be possible unless it went on the floor or next to the TV. So will probably just lie it horizontally regardless. I have noticed how it needs a stand regardless of what position its sat in.

Gonna need to see something like Shenmue IV before I buy this console. No joke. Shenmue 3's what finally got me to buy a PS4. Ratchet looks nice. I loved the last one on the PS4.

The more I look at the console itself, I consider the rumors of overheating issues. If so, I can understand that wavy design, which almost looks like its implemented to aid breathing/fanning.

Maybe I'm still a sucker for the Series X with reference to color and structure (one wonders if Microsoft intuits more naturally what's chic for Western tastes), but I can tolerate the PS5. Seeing it horizontally helps one.

Nonetheless, I switched from DC to Xbox and bought a PS4 solely for S3, so my initial exuberance returns to a playful skepticism.

I used to dream of the day I only needed one console to play all the games, since I was a kid with an allowance and only one or two consoles. Now I miss the days of healthy console competition and exclusives. It's so boring just dwelling over specs and minor differences between multiplatform games. Nonetheless, I guess it makes life easier when you're old like us.

XBOX really offers me nothing now that they've sort of sworn off AAA first party games. I assume we're all gonna end up just playing the same console a decade or so from now, effectively a PC without all the customization and other software, since I'm not sure the industry is big enough to sustain multiple consoles that all play the exact same games. The whole $.99 mobile game ecosystem and monthly subscription fee services (PSNow, GamePass) are really gonna make it hard to pump lots of money into big exclusives too, right? Are we just gonna have a little device like a Roku or the Google Stadia, all streaming the same games, but with different GUIs? Man, 25+ years ago I would've thought that sounded amazing; now it just seems kind of bleak.

Last edited:
That's the thing. Guerilla did Killzone but were able to move on and create something greater in Horizon. Naughty Dog did Uncharted but were able to make a critically acclaimed game in The Last of Us. Sucker Punch went from the Infamous series to do Ghost of Tsushima. Insomniac Games went from Spyro, Resistance, Ratchet & Clank to a critically acclaimed Spiderman game. Even Santa Monica Studios were working on a brand new game before producing a completely different God of War.

I'm pretty sure that's why Bungie left Microsoft. They wanted to do Destiny but Microsoft told them they must do Halo for eternity and beyond.
Didn't disagree on MS doing worse and playing it safer than Sony. But a lot of those studios dids sequel for years and almost for 2 gens.
The one of your list I diagree is Naughty dog during ps3 ans ps4 they have doing the same archetype as fas as I can see there is not much difference between uncharted and Last of us are not that different at all structurewise, it is acclaimed, yes, has been game of the decade for some, sure, I enjoyed all of them. But as a game is not that much different from uncharted and its acclaimed more for its Hollywood like cinematic experience and good characters.

And that is why in my original statement I say lets see if they learned the lesson as they really need to in order to sell xbox to people, and we need competition or it will be worse for everyone as monopolies usually are.

I like the design, although i wish the middle was white and shell was black--especially with the disk slot being a bit obnoxious on the white shell. Also, im sure ill get accustomed, but wtf the drive doing on bottom of the motherboard...?

Haven't bought a console at launch since the original Xbox and skipped over the last gen of consoles entirely but am considering buying a PS5 for Christmas. The only thing I really don't like is the size and design.

Ideally I want my console to be invisible, being small enough to store out of sight is a close second with an unassuming black box being a distant third. I hope they release a black version and there's no issues with storing it horizontally.

Not shitting on anyone's taste but this is about as far removed from aesthetically pleasing as it gets for me.

I’ll never go digital only and I imagine a large portion of people would agree with me, but then you have some doing it even now who might go with it, maybe depending on how much of a price difference there is between models.

Reactions: red
If you look at the growing trends regarding expansions of all various internet types, plus 5G, you can see a shift to digital.

The pandemic has upended a lot of how people used to function in the world. Many people have realized "Huh..I can download a game via the app or console and be playing it in a short while" or streaming.

I'll always love physical, so an all-digital does not appeal to me. But there is a significant likelihood this is the final physical-media based console generation. I don't expect PS6 to have a drive at all, same with the next Xbox.

The other reason it exists is price. It is the worst kept secret in the industry that Microsoft has an all-digital system in the works(Lockhart). It's designed to compete with that also, because neither one of these consoles(with drives) will come in less than $499, not with PS5s revolutionary SSD or the sheer brute-force specs of Microsoft

I felt the presentation was pretty good. They showed some seriously killer first-party games, of which there were only a *few*(they have several more studios who didn't show here). I liked the indie love, as my kids really want Bugsnax.

No, not everything blew me away as next-gen, but they won't. Every console launch has one or two visual stunners, with the rest being upgraded ports or not as slick. 2021 will tell that tale.

In regards to power, the SSD has a LOT of capabilities and you can read some dev comments regarding how each system operates, but in a nutshell the gap in power isn't as large as people like to claim and probably will be miniscule in terms of visual acuity or framerates overall.

But how many of these digital sales are only because of the current pandemic? Who’s to say it’s permanent?

Probably a fair increase, but digital adoption of gaming media has been steadily increasing year over year. It is one of the primary reasons that GameStop is in such dire straits, though they have other issues also.

The other causation is a rise in GaaS, or Games as a Service. Fortnite, Minecraft, Overwatch, Division 2, etc. All continuously updated.

Will it go fully digital? Of course not yet, but it will over time. Microsoft's "Lockhart" system is supposedly entirely digital with GamePass, etc.

Microsoft has the ability and muscle to make their idea of a digital "ecosystem" a reality. They are a primary catalyst of the digital shift.

The decline in physical media happened to CDs and eventually films as well. Remember when Blockbuster said, many moons ago, they weren't threatened by Netflix showing up on the scene?

Last edited:
i would be all for digital only consoles if new digitial games were priced at half or less than retail but they are locked in at rrp. a lot of stores drop their prices quite quickly, where by psn /xbox store lag behind a lot.

ive read why online games are so expensive. personally as someone who doesnt collect games and only plays them once through . i like selling my games and recouping some of my money. ( if blockbuster still existed i would never buy games lol)

i would be all for digital only consoles if new digitial games were priced at half or less than retail but they are locked in at rrp. a lot of stores drop their prices quite quickly, where by psn /xbox store lag behind a lot.

ive read why online games are so expensive. personally as someone who doesnt collect games and only plays them once through . i like selling my games and recouping some of my money. ( if blockbuster still existed i would never buy games lol)

Agreed here. My old man did audio his whole life(he left behind more vinyl records and CDs than I've ever seen) but as things closed up and everything went digital, he stopped his hobby out of sadness that he'd have to redo everything he built up and had nowhere left to go buy his media...it was really sad

Its not a easy decision for me. Personally i'm still buying disc versions on PS4
because (most of the time) i can just put in the disc, install it from disc, download some 2, 10, 15 GB patch
and then play. It doesnt work everytime, sometimes it still starts a 30-50 GB patch because it ignores the disc.
But its still better than if i have to download every single game, especially the 100 GB games
everytime just because i had to deinstall them before for free space.

And with the new consoles this will be a even bigger problem. Games with 4K textures
and game world sizes bigger than AC Odyssey, RDR 2 or Witcher 3 will be massive,
like 120, 150, 180 or even more GB but theres only 800 GB or so of space in the PS5 SSD.
So i probably can only install about 5-7 games, which means if i just want to pause some games
because there is a new release, its possible that i have to delete other games.
If i only have them digital, it means i have to download these 150 GB or whatever games
again and again. Doesnt matter if i had to deinstall them because i needed the space
or if i want to revisit them, i cant install them all at once on a 800 GB SSD.

My download speed is 50.000, its fast enough for streaming and all that stuff but a 100+ GB download
will still take some time.
If there are 2 Bu Ray discs or so in every PS5 retail box, theres at least a chance,
that i can install them from the disc and then only download patches.
Then its not that big of a problem if i have to deinstall games.

Back